THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Hi there! A quick question for @Josephine thst might benefit others too.

I usually get the flu jab this time each year through Boots. Is it ok to have shortly after a hip op? Coming up to three months end of October..... thanks!
 
Well, @SurreyGirl, they asked me in the hospital if I'd had a flu shot and when I said I hadn't yet, that I was waiting until after my surgery, they said "we'll just give it to you before you leave the hospital" so I'm betting you would be just fine getting one now.
 
In US, our flu shot effectiveness rates have been reported at from as low as 10% effectiveness to about 40% top, for this last season (38% per CDC)--for all virus types. There are over 150 given virus strains of upper respiratory ailments that end up defined as "flu" and the typical shot only targets a few type A and B strains. (You can ask which strains each version is targeting) So I've heard that it's challenging at best to actually create a deeply effective one, at least in US, the stats here have been relatively dismal. UK I know has its own unique system that I've not read much about but they look to our CDC and to Australia for trends to be ahead of the curve and predict which strains might propagate over there! Begging the question, do the viruses migrate like geese?! :)

Here, we also now have initiated attractive financial / insurance incentives in both hospitals and doctor's private practices to flu vaccinate over a certain percentage of the overall patient load (think it's 60% or more?) which then triggers the perks for the practice. So there is an aggressive program out of the hospitals and clinics here now - jab more. A friend of mine, recently in a local hospital overnight with a kidney infection, said they were offering to flu jab her around the clock, despite her repeated "--no thanks, I'm good!" My mom had the same pressure with all her hip dislocations in the past year.

I've always preferred to keep immunity high with D3, astragalus, echinacea, etc - and fortunately, knock on wood, almost never catch flus or colds. About once every 5-10 yrs if I'm stressed, I can catch something. If I keep immunity up, I don't have to intake and process the other adjuvants & excipients in the flu shot... formaldehyde, aluminum, thimerosal (<--still in a few brands) and other elements that scare me more than even a possible flu!! Many people do fine with them - I have a built-in poor methylation issue, so I don't tolerate metals or even trace amounts of neurotoxins well. Hence, have to be more wary of meds ingredients than most people to avoid adverse side effects. I've finally learned to pay more attention to the ingredients lists than I used to. Good luck to you @SurreyGirl, whatever you decide. But I'm pretty sure your Proseco intake the other night alone has more than sterilized your system from any possible outside attack!!
:heehee:

Oops, disclaimer!
In case you forgot ...I'm still not a doctor or veterinarian! Just a hippy on ice.
 
How I agree @1stSurgery! Husband was at the surgery a while ago for blood tests and the nurse was very informative and indiscreet about the usefulness-or not-of the flu vaccine. It worries me how much they push it in this country! Worst thing is the nurse coming into primary schools and giving it to the infants! My daughter in law was given the swine flu vaccine as she had a compromised immune system and it made her very ill for a possible epidemic which never happened. Famous last words I know but I have had real flu once in my life. It was dreadful. But I'd rather try and eat healthily and slurp down the vitamins.
 
@SurreyGirl It's fine to go ahead and get your flu jab. 10 days post RTHR I had my wound checked at the GP and they gave me the jab at the same appointment. I had the flu one year when I did get the jab. I don't ever want to go through that again.
 
Thanks everyone… I think I will go ahead and sort this out.. With all the time I have had off with the THR, getting flu would be very awkward.

Best wishes

Barbara
 
How I agree @1stSurgery! Husband was at the surgery a while ago for blood tests and the nurse was very informative and indiscreet about the usefulness-or not-of the flu vaccine. It worries me how much they push it in this country! Worst thing is the nurse coming into primary schools and giving it to the infants! My daughter in law was given the swine flu vaccine as she had a compromised immune system and it made her very ill for a possible epidemic which never happened. Famous last words I know but I have had real flu once in my life. It was dreadful. But I'd rather try and eat healthily and slurp down the vitamins.
It's rare to find someone that forthcoming from within the community @bickypeg. Over here, we have nurses losing their jobs for refusing to take flu jabs themselves, some have the mask option but others aren't given that and take the hard choice to leave.

It's useful to know - and very few do know - that the US Department of Justice and Supreme Court issue quarterly reports on the most dangerous vaccines in US based on death and injury compensations paid to patients and survivors via their Gov't program, the NVICP (National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program) and have declared yet again this year the flu shot as the most dangerous one, per their settlement reports. (see reports from June 15, 2018 and Sept 6, 2018 by Deputy Director Report from DoJ).

The cases often take forever, one of the most recently won flu cases took over 7 yrs to settle! But they won for debilitating injury. Most people don't tend to seek out or read theses sorts of reports and media is sponsored by conflict of interest advertising, so they aren't free to report on that which might threaten a network's bottom line operating budget. The NVICP admittedly only handles a small fraction of all cases since it is such a little known entity, however they have already awarded $4 billion dollars for injury and death claims via their compensation program.

The most recent published reports of the adverse side effects that were compensated for in the court's settlements were put out Sept 2018 and include compensation for flu shot side effects of guillame barre syndrome, transverse myelitis, encephalamyeltis, etc etc ...and even death. This Sept report covers the past 3 months with approx 200 adjudicated cases of injury and death brought to the court and all but 50 cases winning compensation settlements for their injury or death. So @75% won their cases for injury. @60% of the cases in the program that won and were settled were from the flu vaccine, which is how it gets declared as the most dangerous on the list. The number of people that even know about the NVICP court is such a small % as most Americans have never even heard of it. But the flu one still ends up annually with the most reported and compensated injuries per the Dept of Justice. (To be fair though, mathematically, that could well be a factor of the huge numbers of flu jabs that are given out now, especially since the push has been on)

Here is the last report. It's impressive though, that even with an undereported upon program such as this, and very difficult procedures and lengthy cases, that they're up to $4 billion in awards paid for death and injury.

broken link removed: https://www.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/hrsa/vaccine-compensation/data/monthly-stats-sept-2018.pdf
 
Happy Wednesday, @SurreyGirl
Saw on another's thread you had a little stumble today. I'm glad to hear the Coffee Tiramisu made you feel better but I'd ice for the rest of the afternoon while you're answering emails. Can't hurt, right?
It's nice you were able to work from home this morning. Much more laid back. Taking those walking breaks will help though.
Hope the rest of your day is peaceful.
 
Yeah, flu can be really miserable and even life threatening! I am sure you'll make the right decision. Even though the flu vaccine may not address all the various strains of the flu virus, I think they do try to assess what the potentially most serious strains might be and I've never been sorry that I've been inoculated annually and haven't had the flu in decades. Wish they'd come up for a vaccination for the common cold! Even though I get those rarely too, I get one bout annually (blaming the germy grandkids :sick:) and it's always miserable although usually short-lived.
 
We're all so different. I have an opposite view on the flu vaccine
Catch me if you can :bolt:
I try to ramp up my immune system so my body can effectively ward off those invaders.
Not saying those who get the vaccine don't do the same. Like with everything, its just a matter of preference.
 
Happy Wednesday, @SurreyGirl
Saw on another's thread you had a little stumble today. I'm glad to hear the Coffee Tiramisu made you feel better but I'd ice for the rest of the afternoon while you're answering emails. Can't hurt, right?
It's nice you were able to work from home this morning. Much more laid back. Taking those walking breaks will help though.
Hope the rest of your day is peaceful.
Just saw this! So sorry about the stumble @SurreyGirl but ....oh yesssss ....Coffee Tiramisu makes EVERYTHING feel better! So delicious!! Hope it's all iced away, the pain that is.
 
Hi there! I thought I could cope with our rather steep front doorstep by now but a moments inattention......just goes to show how careful us recovering Hippies have to be!

Did a few steps gingerly and raised my knee up and down a few times. I think I have pulled or possibly torn a small muscle right where I have had consistent pain!

The visit to the pub (I have to report I had a Hendricks and tonic) and the coffee tiramisu helped.

I have been icing all afternoon and put my feet up followed the ABC Facebook page and independent reporting on Hurricane Michael. Nasty winds there! Not good. Poor people.

A kind neighbour is driving me into work tomorrow and I have to get up at 6:30 to meet her. Hubby then picking me up afterwards and taking me to Physio so at least I can get an examination as to what I have done to myself this time!

A bit frustrating as things were getting a lot better but it is what it is.... I think I will think about the flu jab next week!

On a better note, some of you have inspired me to get my hair done so appt booked!
 
My advice to you would be -- yes to the hair appt --and MORE Tiramisu! And ice... Always more ice.

So sorry about the step tripping you. I have a few of those tricky steps here as well and walk in and out like a 105 yr old to avoid a trip. Have some relatives in Michael's path so I'm watching as well since early AM. Take care @SurreyGirl and hope you haven't strained anything there.
 
Thanks and fingers crossed for your relatives.

I think I probably have strained something but it will recover.... that step has been the one risk factor in our house since the op and indeed before it as bad hip had trouble stepping up it. I think I need to have words with hubby about getting something to make it easier.
 
Thanks, one can hope! I know she is keen to see me progress. If I am in a lot of pain tomorrow will probably ask her to do massage only - especially as it will be straight after work... anyway going to bed now so night and sweet dreams everyone...
 
Back
Top Bottom