THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Goodnight and Sweet dreams to you! :yawn: :sleep:
 
@SurreyGirl oh painful! If it's an outside step get hubby to put some breeze blocks on it to make it shallower. Temporary measure but we had to do that at my house after my first hip because I couldn't leave the house! It worked
 
@SurreyGirl Sorry to read about your tumble. Hope the Hendricks and tonic and Tiramisu helped. Hopefully your Physio will work some magic. Shame you can't work from home tomorrow. Thinking of you!

Yes to making the hair appointment!
 
I hope you're doing okay today after the incident on the steps.
Bevlah's idea sounds like a good one. Don't want to see our Surrey Girl get hurt.
Wishing you comfort and hope you're feeling better.
@SurreyGirl
 
Hey, there @SurreyGirl. Sorry to hear about your wobble and I hope it didn't result in increased pain and discomfort. And while I'm not a fan of Hendricks or tiramisu (I'd be substituting a greyhound and truffle fries) I trust they did the trick and you are feeling cheerful and ready to seize the day by now. Best to you!
 
An early start this morning as had to leave the house by 7:30 as kind neighbour getting me to work.

Worked for four hours but made sure I did some walking. Was visited by our Estates and Buildings manager as he wants me to move offices end of October and remarked “my recovery appeared to be taking some time”. This did not help!

Hip quite painful today and sharp burning sensation still there.

Saw Physio who took one look at me walking in on one crutch and said “no physio today” and massages the area for 30 mins. One particular area caused me to leap off the table - very painful. I asked what the muscle was and she said Gluteus Medius.

Recommended gentle walking and nothing else and plenty of icing. Also to go back to two crutches for a bit.

Home alone this evening and a bit down. Hubby out rehearsing so about to cook myself dinner.

Thinking of asking GP for some codeine again. Wondered about Difonac Sodium for swelling but was on that for two years prior to op and it gets a bad press here!

I just hope this all resolved and I haven’t given myself a permanent muscle weakness in that area... :-(

Sorry to moan here but better than moaning at Hubby!!
 
@SurreyGirl Hopefully just a little blip on the bigger screen of life, but still a worry for sure. Good that you saw the physio and she was able to do some massage. I bet with serious icing now, resting tonight, two crutches for a few days it will all settle down.

I just posted over on @lovesstars thread about a comment I had today. I wish we really could do what they do on the cartoons, and stuff a sock in their mouthes, either down the phone, across cyber space, or in person! UGH! I have no patience for ignorant comments. Just put a lid on it and go google hip recovery! Jeeshhh!

Hoping you have a lovely meal for yourself, but have enough time off your feet and icing too. Sending lots of positive vibes from around over here on west coast of Canada land:flwrysmile:

P.S. I think maybe a Hendricks is in order with dinner! :heehee:
 
Oh my stars... @SurreyGirl
Been popping in and out as of late ...sorry to hear you are still struggling.
You are not even TWO months post op!!
Manager needs to recover from THR before he gets judgy.:umm:

I sure hope you don't stay bummed..you will get there.:console2:
Still early days...and less is still more!
 
Thanks all. Managed to complete another 4 hours solid work at home today with ice and lots of coffee courtesy of hubby. Got up and walked around a bit too. Love the comments about sticking a sock in people's mouths etc.. It really IS annoying!

@Mojo333 I think you were the lady who said it took you 4 months before you started to feel you had really turned the corner so I will hope for that for me! It looks like a few of us who had ops in July/early August are not recovering quite as fast as some others here… But everyone is supporting one another so that is great! Glad you did not suffer from Hurricane Michael - I was watching the videos and reports live on ABC via the internet and some of the "extreme" weathermen…very scary..
 
Some people can be so ignorant. Next time someone says something like that, imagine them with one of those thought bubbles (like you see in cartoons) over their head that says
"Excuse me, I have no filter, I just vomit words" :heehee:

You've read many times full recovery can take up to a year, even longer for some. So at not even three months post op, you have a lot of time to go. Take it slow and easy, you'll get there.
I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@SurreyGirl
 
@SurreyGirl Glad you've had a work at home day today, with ice and coffee (hubbies are the best!) and look at that, its TGIF:heehee: !! Hoping you have a super weekend and your soreness continues to diminish with icing (a wonderful thing...what would we do without ice! :)

"Excuse me, I have no filter, I just vomit words" :heehee:
I just about choked on my AM tea :rotfl: with laughter when I read this. Will have to remember that!!
 
I wish we really could do what they do on the cartoons, and stuff a sock in their mouthes, either down the phone, across cyber space, or in person! UGH! I have no patience for ignorant comments. Just put a lid on it and go google hip recovery! ...

I was ... what do you call it ? Hip-shaming? I was hip-shamed just once so far . Though walking more or less okay by then, I was using a single walking pole just as added support, and as an alert when I got on a train or bus ( to secure seat if I needed one). A friend at the pub looked at the pole and told me “ you don’t need that!! I just watched you walking— ditch the pole!” I was quite annoyed. And the really ironic thing— he is the lone other THR recipient in our circle of friends ( had his about 2 years ago) and he still suffers some pain in his operated hip! Sweet— Knocking me for taking it slowly! Did he subconsciously want me to push it ( and end up like him?) . Oh dear, I am a cynic .
 
@An54 I get it. Just because that person has had THR doesn't make them an authority, particular when he is still experiencing pain, which he shouldn't be at this stage I wouldn't think. Plus, as we well know, everyone's recovery is different. You don't want to point out that they are still having pain, and you are not, but the bubble @Layla describes about what comes out of folks mouth's is really helpful to envision!

@SurreyGirl Have you had any experience with "hip shaming" behaviour, from folks who have already had THR?

The glib remarks I have had have been from folks who have not had any serious surgery to date.
 
You're 3 weeks behind me, @SurreyGirl. I noticed a marked improvement around 12 weeks - up to then my days were a bit more variable. Now I walk much easier, although my incision is sometimes quite sore by the end of the day - I think the site gets a bit swollen with activity - so I sit and ice it (not so good in the cold weather, though!).
 
Wow, at @An54, hard to believe someone could be so incredibly insensitive and offensive, but those kind of people are definitely out there! Poop on them! It's pretty early days for me so no sneering comments received yet. If I were to get them, I'm hoping I'd be confident enough to ignore them without mouthing off--since this is really all about them, and not about me. And hope your day is going well, @SurreyGirl. Sounds like the work at home day went well with productivity boosted by lovely coffee from your spouse.
 
All these comments are making me laugh and nod in agreement. You are all great!

I do have a work colleague who had had two hip ops and is completely sympathetic. In fact he was the one who took me aside the day before the op and suggested I seriously considered going for the spinal.

I remember when he was back from his second op that he was walking with a stick for a month and then slowly with care the month afterwards.

However according to the “careless talk” colleague who saw me on Thursday, my hippie friend had made a “remarkable recovery” and was “zipping around the office within days of returning to work!” I know this was not the case but am sure I will become an equal legend in this guy’s blinkered eyes.

Today hubby and I are travelling to a fresh fish shop that has gorgeous fresh scallops, scampi, cods roe etc. So stocking up the fridge and freezer with lots of healthy protein. We coat salmon with jerk powder, vacuum pack it and freeze it in portions. Very useful for popping in the sous vide and having it ready when coming home late from work or a show. I need to seriously get back to my diet as have a date with a nice swimming costume in the new year.

Be prepared for a loud scream when I stand on the scales this morning.

Have a good weekend everyone.
 
I love the way our friends across the pond talk.
A swimming costume? I know you mean bathing suit, which is what we call it over here, but now that I think on it, it's stupid, because we don't bathe in it. But...."costume" sounds like you'll be wearing some type of Mermaid attire. A beautifully embellished bikini top with a tulle, brightly colored of course, mermaid type skirt the blows in the breeze over sun kissed legs, or flows beautifully in the water as you swim
in slow motion, lol.
Is that what you're talking about, SurreyGirl?
@SurreyGirl
 
Back
Top Bottom