Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Hope for 2020, Revised THR

So sorry to read about your struggles, @Fit4Family. I haven't experienced any of the problems you've described but good to hear that you're being persistent with your medical team and continue to look for solutions. I am really sore at the moment (proverbial, "feels like my hip got hit by a speeding truck") but I know this is only temporary and with each day that passes the internal healing is going on. And, it's a beautiful day here in the PNW and that is always a mood booster for me. Wishing you the best as you continue to search for effective help--hang in there!
 
Thank you @Barbaraj Temporary is the mantra. Those first few weeks are rough. Hope you feel better every day. Thank you for sending your healing wishes. Really means a lot. ❤️
 
Happy Monday All,

Saw my OS today. He was in surgery last week so didn’t see him. He gave me an MRI order and blood work, but said to sit on the MRI for a few weeks as he believes the tendon is irritated not torn. He also reiterated that with two surgeries already on same hip, that he would be very reluctant to react to anything on an MRI that wasn’t blaring as the complications could be numerous. Said I really should set my expectations on a year from the THR that I’m as good as I will be.

So, relieved and cautiously hopeful that this will just be logged as a long time out. Hoping that I will get back to where I was before July 3rd. Taking 1 Advil and 1 Extra Strength Tylenol three times a day. Easing pain, but not eliminating. Fine with me. Kinda good as the pain reminds me to move gingerly.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. :ice:
 
Thank you @Cecropia

I am hopeful. I appreciate he is a conservative surgeon. I really was prepared for bad news. I’m relieved, but know it’s just going to take more time. Hope you are doing ok today. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Really appreciate it. :SUNsmile:
 
Said I really should set my expectations on a year from the THR that I’m as good as I will be.

:wave:Sweet Sarah

I agree in the setting expectations for a year as all niggly things should have worked their way out of the equation ... but I am puzzled by the end comment that you 're as good as you will be ... what, now? after the year? :what: :scratch:

I ordered a book from Amazon which came yesterday ... Step by Step Tai Chi, in pictures and narrative. I got it for my poor balance. The first set of exercises I sneakily touched my right leg against the chair, the next two times on my own two feet! Got the book used in excellent condition for one penny and £4.02 postage, but good value since the book cost £11.99.

Just continue to be cautious ... I know I am overly so, but I don't think either of us want to go through surgery again, do we? :beg:

Sending you hugs for a peaceful week.

[Bonesmart.org] Hope for 2020, Revised THR Izzy xx
 
Hello sweet @Izabel :loveshwr:

Yeah, I wasn’t thrilled with his last comment either. OS seemed annoyed yesterday, had come from surgery so don’t think it was me. He explained that since my hip fracture was so long ago, and never healed, that the soft tissue accommodation and possible permanent damage could be considerable. Sadly, there is no guarantee I will ever walk unaided. I was pretty shaken by that. Also said MRI four months out from this surgery would likely show many problems. Kind of opening the proverbial can of worms. So I am going to do everything in my power to get this tendonitis healed.

Will have to check out that book. Balance does come along with time. Think I’ve made most progress using counters in kitchen. Just slightly shifting weight side to side and front to back. Hope the Tai Chi book provides some helpful exercises to try. Can’t remember what it is called , but one of the moderators here was taking about muscle / mind memory. Kinda interesting. Hope you are doing ok friend! Sending ❤️ xx
 
Last edited:
Sadly, there is no guarantee I will ever walk unaided. I was pretty shaken by that. Also said MRI four months out from this surgery would likely show many problems. Kind of opening the proverbial can of worms.

:yikes: Where is this man coming from? I thought they were supposed to encourage not deflate. I would be shaken too. But admittedly I believe I will always have to walk with a cane. I have a dozen very glamorous ones to match my outfits as I was using them for about two years prior to my serious falls. I feel they are a little peace of mind for safety. My last one I bought a few months ago has butterflies on it.

I was annoyed with Hubby the other day as he said I should try to carry a cup of tea from the counter to the kitchen table ... about four steps across a tiled floor with the walker turning twice! :shocked: Perish the thought at the moment! :sos:

Well, you know you will always have mental support here.

[Bonesmart.org] Hope for 2020, Revised THR xx
 
Hi. F4F
I dont think that at 4 months out, you should even let your mind go to "this is how it might be"
You may have some individual issues that take longer to resolve due to the hip fracture...but I saw a lot of improvement up to a year.
Can’t remember what it is called , but one of the moderators here was taking about muscle / mind memory. Kinda interesting.
Maybe you are thinking of this?
Muscle guarding
Tendonitis in itself can involve Time over all else to resolve.
It appears to me it will be a bit of a trick on how to very mindfully keep moving enough, but without straining...and the aids may be necessary longer for you than for some. Do keep the faith.
I'll be rooting for you.:friends:
 
Yeah, my husband first comment as we left, very sarcastically “Nice bedside manner.” I knew that from first appointment. Went to him for surgical skill, not warm, touchy moments. But, he could have been a little sympathetic. Yesterday also marked 11 months since I slipped and fell. So admittedly, I’m less resilient than I was at the beginning. Loosing it. :scaredycat:

What does your hubby want? Burns too? Have you tried using a thermal cup with a lid? Love that you have an assortment of canes. If this does go on, may need to follow suit. Butterflies sound just like you Izzy! Such a bright light here. I will always be here for you too. Have so appreciated your friendship. xx ❤️ @Izabel :friends:
 
Last edited:
Thank you @Mojo333 :SUNsmile:

That’s it Muscle Guarding! Hoping you are right about long term improvements. Sitting or even sleeping does make this worse, so I’m needing to be creative about keeping active. May head to indoor pool today just to gently walk. Storming here so outside won’t work.

The other thing he noted was that my lower thigh pain and swollen knee was sympathetic pain caused from muscles reacting to tendonitis pain. Trying heat today on the middle thigh area as it wakes me up. Sorry to be whining. I will rally.
 
Whining is allowed...we can't be up all the time..
And I can imagine the slow progress is discouraging....especially with the surgeon's less than inspiring words.

But we Cant Know...so the pool walking with lots of resting and floating and dangling sounds like a plan...xxxx
 
Guess I am fortunate in that my Surgeon has excellent medical skills, both in the knee and hip scenario, plus he has superb bedside manners. He visited me every day whilst in hospital, a total of 35 days over three surgeries. Sometimes he'd perch on the edge of the bed. Brought his 14 year old daughter on one visit, she wants a career in medicine. Happens to be handsome too and never wears a white coat, slacks and leather bomber jacket or casual shirt. A friend was visiting when he and daughter came in and at first she thought it was friends I had not introduced her to ... till I introduced them! :heehee: Has even phoned me at home several times to give blood results and ask how I was. He's one in a million and I am fortunate he was the Ortho on duty when Hubby transferred me from the SNS/NHS hospital to the private hospital.

Poor Hubby just doesn't understand ... :shrug: ... so I continue to let him transport it. :whistle: Naughty I know, but after 49 years of me doing everything (working full time, shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundering, gardening, etc) I feel like it was time I was catered to ... but after 22 months I am more than ready to take the reins over again. :yes!: I still thank him daily for everything he does. I am blessed to have him.

Oh look, I am whittering about me on your thread so I will love you and leave you wishing you a safe and happy day and thank you for your unwavering support.

[Bonesmart.org] Hope for 2020, Revised THR Izzy xx
 
@Fit4Family Oh my gosh, I've missed a lot with your story! Your OS sounds a little lacking in bedside manners, for sure! I had quite of bit of extra progress after one year post op and I bet you will, too. I've heard others on here remarking on that also.
I had a very severe crush fracture of my elbow 20 years ago. It required 4 surgeries and a cast for 4 months. My surgeon gave me a bleak prognosis and also mentioned that maybe she should have just fused it.
She predicted that I wouldn't have full flexion or extension, which is a horrible thing for a person who loved eyeliner and has curly wavy hair that needs a strong blow dry session! She was basically telling me that I wouldn't be able to touch my face or hold a blowdryer. Long story short, I got full use of my arm back and use the arm hard in my practice..

I had to edit this because I accidentally posted it before completion. :heehee:
 
Okay, @Fit4Family, nobody knows how things will turn out for you, and how unfortunate that your surgeon was so negative and discouraging. That would make me mad and would frustrate me. Maybe his prognostications are correct, but also they could be a bunch of hooey! I wouldn't accept his comments as absolute predictions, and I'd keep doing everything I could to prove him wrong. Work on your balance, keep finding new ways to stay as active as you can and--although this can be difficult (at day 6 this is super hard for me right now), try to stay positive and hopeful. Wishing you the very best!
 
Sorry your OS was so uncaring Sarah.... he must realise that we hang on to every word they say & the way they say things can make all the difference!

Tendonitis is so painful and it can take longer to heal than we want it to take...it also limits the mobility that is needed to heal your new hip...so could understand if he had said this could take longer than expected
... you must have been feeling that it’s already been ongoing for nearly a year.. [emoji22]. You want to fling those aides away & get on with your life!! Of course you do.

You are right to think about water walking and even gentle tai chi exercises...even if you want to be walking faster & longer... my first THR I used a crutch for a year but it eventually stopped being necessary.. I think I’ve said that I had deep tissue massage on my lower thigh which really helped my knee pain too.

Thinking of you & knowing that you have a deep inner strength & that you will overcome this... I’m just sorry you have to.

Keep that darling chin up... [emoji3590][emoji3590]I’ve got an effigy of your OS out & sticking pins in it!! [emoji23][emoji23]

Lots of love & virtual hugs

Chrissie xxx[emoji3590][emoji3590]






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Laughed out loud at your post @Izabel Your doctor sounds dreamy! I bet he adores you and that is why you got such wonderful treatment. Maybe I will board a plane and come have him be my OS.

You are most certainly entitled to any and all pampering. I have never inverted the care number here. You are one smart lady. Does put it in perspective. I’ve been married 22 years and this has been less than a year for me, so yeah, feeling less needy all sudden. Lol. Thank you for all the love Izzy.
 
Thank you for sharing your story Carol. Helps me to put this in perspective. For one, I have crazy unruly hair and no blow dry. Completely impossible to get my mind around for a lifetime. For me it would be mascara. It’s a must, and I’m suddenly realizing maybe an arm would be worse than not walking.

I got out today for a deep tissue massage. Feeling better about life and my leg and knee are pretty happy too. Really appreciate your post. Excellent food for thought. @CricketHip
 
Back
Top Bottom