Guest viewing is limited

THR HomeschoolingMom's thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. Sorry to hear the FB issue isn't resolved. Oh well. The limp is better. None at all w cane, usually none without. Of course if I inadvertently stay on my feet too long, it presents ... Though I find I can correct it w concentration.

I'm glad to hear that shoe tying is in my near future! Congrats on your increasing flexibility! :thumb:
 
Hi,

Great job on touching your toes and yes, the shoe laces will come. :thumb:

You might like to look at this thread regarding just that issue Tie Shoes???

There are lots of different stretching suggestions for when you get to that point in your recovery.

Take care,
Cardie
 
You were right, very useful! I had PT today and she said if I work that particular stretch ( knee up, hands on either side to tie ) I risk groin injury... But I like how stretches are shown here and described using incremental force. I am trying to remember that even when I was in marathon shape and hip pain was just beginning to present, this was the first practical skill I lost. I remember being embarrassed to have runners see the gymnastics I had to do to get my right shoe tied. So patience is the theme of the thread, right?!:sigh:
 
Yes, yes patience is the theme....
You are doing great and you will get there and we will all smile and cheer for you at that milestone accomplishment!! :dancy:

Oh, and while we are talking about shoes -- it is often suggested that once you are up and about after your surgery that you get new shoes because the wear pattern on the old ones will not necessarily be helpful to you with your new hip. There is often a shift in alignment of your leg and you may find that your gait and stride are also different, so it's nice to start fresh...

It's sort of a bonus to having been thrashed about in surgery!! :snork:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Agree on new shoes. I had problems with shin splints once I got up to serious daily walking. It was either Jamie or Jaycey who suggested new shoes, and that did the trick. Keens....I love love love my Keens!

And I just viewed your video. No, I don't see a limp. In fact, I consider it very difficult to walk on sand. You made it look so easy!

Sharon
 
You are so the beach bomb! Congrats! These accomplishments are huge. Am thinking your youngsters are quite proud of you. I noticed that like me, when you start to walk, your foot stride is farther apart and then as you go, your knees brush and feet pass closer together. Just noticed it because of dance. It gets easier as our muscles and balance gets better. I'm still taking shorter steps much of the time because something still 'knocks' in there. OS said it's tissue saying 'not just yet'. BTW, I cannot post anything here at all, so bravo at posting a video!
 
Sharon, thanks. It felt pretty good! However, as Carol mentions, you can pretty much see where I began to have to concentrate on not limping. :wink1:

Still, this weekend I started walking hills. I had plenty of breath and felt strong in the hip ... Did not consider that my calves have not been worked much in eight weeks. The good news is that I went two whole days without thinking about my hip ... Because I was wincing w every step as my calves screamed. :DOH:

It is all good now. I discovered that the fight is not out of me. Finally feeling regular "workout" pain instead of hip pain inspired me to get back in shape. Tonight my husband and I walked a mile. I brought my cane and used it on a small hill at the end of the walk ... And to protect me from dogs ... :doggieshmooze:
 
Yes, isn't it fun when another 'normal' part of the body hurts more from activity than the hip?!

My OS told me from the first time walking in the hospital to not allow myself to limp. He said that forces the tissues to learn to do movement properly. Always am stiff and broader stanced the first few steps but then things 'wake up' and smooth out. Til they fatigue, then it's time to stop, so I do. I call it the Rhythm Method.:loll:
 
Woo Hoo! Love an excuse to buy shoes! :biggrin:

You did complete this task, right??? Maybe your calves are just adjusting to the new shoes/stride now that you are out and about walking.
 
Uuuum, no, but I wore shoes that had been fairly new prior to the surgery. $2000 in bills came last week, hindering shopping efforts. In any case, I'm happy to report that calf pain is gone. I am also pleasantly surprised by a sudden improvement in the hip pain.

At three weeks post op, I noticed a marked improvement in pain situation. It moved from Why did I do this pain to ugh this still hurts. But for four weeks it still ached at night and I still had to ice and elevate at least once daily. (yes, we all know I chose the few meds, more activity route- gaining flexibility but prolonging discomfort) All of a sudden I feel like a new person. I get out of chairs more easily, have almost no pain with regular activity, and I feel strong.

I've finally turned the corner onto Glad I Did This Street!:dancy:
 
So glad you are starting to see the benefits of this op! Long may it continue!
 
Hi All, thank you for the information and support on this board. Eight and a half weeks post surgery, I can truly say I'm better for having done it. Found myself going up the stairs with no hands today and at the top had the thought that it felt almost normal. Doing all normal family/ house care again. Can tie my shoes if I sit on the stairs, and I know painting toenails is just days away. Through most of weeks two and five I didn't think this day would come. I'm not bailing on the site, but I have far less time for posting now. Thanks again and take care till next time!
 
That's fine and good to hear. I like it when people move on because they are getting better and moving on with their lives. Don't like losing them but that's life! Take care and pop in once in a while and let us know how you are doing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom