Guest viewing is limited

THR HomeschoolingMom's thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HomeschoolingMom's first post hi everyone

Is your appointment tomorrow? If so, great timing with this new pain!
 
Re: HomeschoolingMom's first post hi everyone

Yes, but it is with the PA not the surgeon. I was hoping to have some ideas to run by her. Good perspective, though. I was all aggravated that I had anticipated her lifting my restrictions and sending me for aggressive PT, and now I had a set back. But you are right in that better for the pain to show up today than the day after tomorrow!
 
Re: HomeschoolingMom's first post hi everyone

I'm thinking you may have been pushing yourself a bit too much. After all, you are still in the early stages of your recovery! It's still possible to experience normal post-op pain! It's going to take more than a couple of days to get things to settle, so you need to continue with the rest, ice, elevation and take some type of pain medication on a regular basis. Once you're feeling better again, try to hold back a little on all the daily activity.
 
Re: HomeschoolingMom's first post hi everyone

Hi HS Mom,

I hope your appointment with the PA goes well. I also saw the PA as part of my post-surgical follow up appointment and she was very helpful -- she's my favorite person to see now as she's much more talkative and willing to give me suggestions about things. :thumb:

At my follow-up appointment I got a list of Phase II exercises once my ROM was checked, my x-rays viewed and my legs scanned for blood clots. I didn't begin PT for a few more weeks as I wanted to continue to let my body heal in order to avoid any big, painful flare-ups once I started PT exercises. This worked really well for me and maybe you'll want to consider it as an option since you are already having some pains. I like to think that it's never too late to start PT..... and you might not want to do anything that is "aggressive" for a while.

Just my two cents.... :biggrin:
Cardie
 
Re: HomeschoolingMom's first post hi everyone

Cardie,

It sounds like your surgeon and staff are much more involved in the recovery process than mine (which happens to be the same hospital as HSM).

I think they approach it as they do all the sugery stuff and put it back to gether as well as they can...and then making it all work is the domain of the PT. MY OS had me lie on the table....he asked some questions and waggled my leg around a bit, and sent me off with a script for PT. (he was most interested in the x-rays...they were 98% of what he cared about....seemingly ...if the X-Rays were fine, then *I* was fine)

So far so good with that approach...but I hear it from others, too.

Z
 
Re: HomeschoolingMom's first post hi everyone

Cardie,

It sounds like your surgeon and staff are much more involved in the recovery process than mine (which happens to be the same hospital as HSM).


Z

@Z15:

Well, my OS didn't do as much of an exam as yours did at the 6 week follow-up. They have an in-house PT clinic and they checked my ROM and gave me the exercises, the PA viewed my scar (as she'd stapled me closed) another lady did the ultrasound of my legs. The OS just told me that he'd hope and expected I'd be further along when I complained about still needing the cane and then admonished me not to trip, fall or get in a car accident. :rolleyespink:

The handful of times I've been back for one acute problem or another he's been disappointingly vacuous on my condition. X-rays are fine -- done my job, soft tissue issues, abnormal anatomy -- good luck! But, I've come to accept his hands-off approach as I'd prefer that to being chased down the hall with a large cortisone injection!!!! :th_heehee:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Re: HomeschoolingMom's first post hi everyone

Home from Appointment! Almost exactly same thing as Z15... PA said XRays look good, so I am good to lift restrictions and get Moving. :thumb:

She said ditch the cane except on uneven ground such as baseball fields or in a crowd. Do PT exercises at home three times a day. Go to PT ASAP and get walking and stretching much more. She basically said any pain I have is because I've favored the hip too much and it is time to "work it.". I did get home and realize I didn't remind her that I have stairs, so hub and I decided a few more days of cane on stairs, esp. going down. Hubby had big smile about other activities OK to resume. :th_heehee: :yes 4:

My final reservation is regarding when to schedule the dental implant that I prepped for in November. :scratch:
 
Re: HomeschoolingMom's first post hi everyone

Great report!

One suggestion, ditch the cane when you feel confident. Cane on the stairs - absolutely! When you feel confident you will leave it behind. If you feel totally confident you will leave it behind when venturing out. Don't feel like you need to ditch the cane unless it feels right. It's only a matter of days before it will be gone.
 
Hi there - perhaps you should look at this article and see if your symptoms match Ilio-tibial band (ITB) issues and pain: exercises. If it is then you need to be careful with the extra activity. Either way, you should be careful with how you return to the extra stuff. Have a look at this Progression of activity for THRs.

Personally I think you have been doing too much too quickly and need to slow down a bit.
 
Hi again, I think I'm sticking pretty close to the activity schedule if you substitute kid activities for shops. Today was my six week date. I did do a lot more today because I was so thrilled that the pain wasn't a bone issue, that I took my daughter to the mall. One store was the goal, but she is twelve and a half ... Ice and elevation as soon as I got home. Will keep watch of ITB, though that pain seems to be resolving. thanks!
 
P.s. @jacey I kind of like the cane when I am going to be with any strangers, not just crowds- because it backs them, their dogs, their kids, etc. off so I don't feel nervous. :doggieshmooze:
 
Absolutely agree. I kept a cane or crutch with me long after I needed it. Especially in crowds people give you the space you need. Keep up the good work!
 
Hi All, Yesterday was just gorgeous here. My kids and I headed out to the library for some research. It took less than half the time I expected, so I treated them with a trip to the local beach and park. Here is some video my daughter took of me walking on the beach.

Please be honest as to whether you think I am limping. It felt like I was really limping a lot, perhaps due to pelvic tilt not yet resolved. it only feels like it?



https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=3309629351146&set=vb.1580461608&type=2&theater
 
HSM,

I wonder if your facebook video is behind facebook security

It may only be viewable by your facebook friends...

Z
 
Oh shoot! I didn't think of that. Will have to find another way to upload!
 
Hi HSM

Sounds like you had a pleasant trip out and a walk on the beach - how wonderful..

Yes, I am with Z, It appears as though we don't have permissions to view your Facebook page.. But it sounds like a nice day out, I am pleased for you :)
 
OK, I think I have the privacy setting corrected if you'd still like to take a look. Thanks!
 
Hurray... Today I touched my toes! Such a strange thing to get excited about, but I could do it before surgery, so when my restrictions were lifted a week ago I was disappointed to find myself a good eight inches from doing that. Each day I just kind of hung my arms down a few times a day. Today after a nice hot shower and some PT warm ups, I tried again. Voila!

However, I have to admit that I got too ambitious and from there tried to tie my right shoe. I thought I could do the position where you put you foot in the chair and reach down and tie them. I don't know why I thought that - I haven't been able to do that in nearly a decade ... And I still can't. Bleh.
 
HomeschoolingMom, you may very well end up being able to tie your shoes in that position somewhere down the line. I'm approaching 3 months since my surgery and I am getting back range of motion that I haven't had in years. Being patient (or trying at least) and staying consistent with my PT has been the key.

I can't access Facebook from work so I can't see your video, but do you feel like you limp even when you use the cane?
 
Congratulations on touching your toes :). Life's simple pleasures are the best.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom