THR Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BarbaraR
I'm glad to read that your trip was smooth. 1 hour flight is not difficult to bear but travelling to the airport and back... What is more difficult is the anxiety before the trip, whether we 'll be able to manage it or not
Barbara, are you still icing your incision area from time to time? I left the ritual about 2 weeks ago (post op weeks 4) but ı just popped into a friend, a physioterapist today and he said my incision area still looks bumpy and there is slight oedema and warmness. Thus advised to continue with the ice applicaiton for a while.
what do you think?
 
sansabosa, Hi Selin. The trip was fine, and I hired a car to take me to the airport because I was concerned about the long walk through the parking lot, especially if it was raining. I was fortunate that I had people there with whom I've been working for a few years, so everyone was great. I did get tired at the end of the day, but it worked out fine.

Yes, I am still icing every day. My incision area is a little red and swollen (so I'm also still wearing yoga pants to work). My PT massages it-- she has broken some adhesions in the process. She also puts electro-stim all around the incision-- I sit with that for the first ten minutes-- it's supposed to reduce the pain and edema.

I still have some achy pain on the joint-- especially when I've over done it (like yesterday I went to PT in the morning and then worked till 8 last night). The ice really helps me. I ice at work during lunch, too.

I hope you continue to feel well. XO
 
Hi Barbara.... Ice, I still love my ice packs.. The travel would have taken it out of you... I had a 3 hour car trip at 4 weeks and was absolutely zonked out for a week.. Recovery takes time hon :)
 
I will be 17 months post tomorrow Barb and when I got back from my 15 min Nordic Walk (4 k/hr pace) this morning, it takes me 30 minutes to recover... and often I will lay down to relax the muscles.

I expect it and that way I don't get disappointed... it is a slow process recovering from a THR. A surgeon friend of mine told me he always considers 3-5 years as the timeframe for absolute recovery.. I have worked on 2 years timeframe for myself, but given age, lack of mobility Pre surgery, working full time, sitting all day, stressful days... I am very gentle on myself, no expectations, just slow and steady... You will get there honey, early days for you, don't get discouraged :)
 
Poppet, could you talk to my PT? (Kidding). Seriously, she has me side stepping on the treadmill and increased both the speed and elevation, resulting in my having knee pain and swelling. We figured out that trying to keep up was causing me to bend my knee in a weird way. All good. So I asked her to dial it down, and she said she didn't want to hinder my progress! Hard to believe, but I had to insist-- if the increased speed and elevation causes me to hurt my knee, why would I do that?

Anyway, I'm not discouraged at all. I read everyone's threads on this forum, and I'm quite aware of and grateful for the fact that I'm doing so well. Thanks for your generosity. XO
 
You're right, Barbara, user titles are based on message count. Here they are:

10,000> omega
5,000-9,999 alpha
3,000-4,999 don (that's as in a college don, or senior lecturer/professor at a university!!)
2,000-2,999 supremo
1,000-1,999 post-grad
500-999 graduate
250-499 senior
100-249 member
20-99 junior member
0-19 new member
 
bottomshollow us peons are clever, aren't we.... Don could be like a mafia don too, *looks hopeful* LOL Are there any omegas???
BarbaraR good for you for standing up to the PT. I have a friend who had a knee (Partial) whose PT was absolutely horrifyingly painful. At the time, I thought that was the norm.....she suffered quietly b/c she's that type....
 
zauberflöte, actually the PT is an old friend and she mostly does sports medicine, but does have experience with anterior approach hip replacement-- that's why i decided to go to her. I'm glad that she pushes me, I don't think she's glad that I push back.
 
zauberflöte, there are 2 omegas--Josephine with over 40,000 posts and Jamie with over 30,000. Jaycey only needs about 600 more to be an omega.
 
So. I was going to post that I'm 2 months postop and I'm so fantastic --I'm almost back to normal blah blah blah. I stopped PT yesterday- was starting to not see the point-- so today I went to the little gym in the complex where I live. I walked there and back (~1/2 mile), did the elliptical for 10 minutes and the bike for 10, and then did some upper body stuff. When I got home I noticed I was a little sore so I took some acetaminophen. I showered and had some errands to do. Now I'm noticing that my leg really hurts when I lift it into the car. Does that stop me? No, it does not. I spend another half hour walking around a store. I drive home. And here I am with a blankety blank ice pack on my hip because my leg is KILLING me like deep bone pain that I haven't experienced since the beginning. Would someone please take me to someone to have my head examined?!
 
Oh dear BarbaraR, I think that's a case of do what i say not what I do!! It's all too easy to think you feel so good you think you can do anything and you have found out you can't. You are doing so, so well, I hope this doesn't knock you back because you really do deserve to win through. xx :flwrysmile:
 
BarbaraR I kind of felt the same way. There was starting to be no point in going to PT and the OS's Physician's Assistant agreed that I could stop. It's so tempting to do too much, especially when we feel good. Another excuse to sit on the couch and rest! When can you go back to yoga?
 
smrt2run, I found that they were having me do exercises that I could do at home, and there seemed to be no end game. And the PT did do some manipulation at the end of the hour that I can't do myself, but does that 5 minutes really make a difference? I was driving 20 minutes each way to get there-- I figured I could better spend the time walking and doing strengthening exercises at home. As for yoga, I have a private lesson with a friend who's an Iyengar teacher next week. How is your recovery going?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom