THR Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI Barb!
Same thing happened to me!! Had a great day, walked 40 minutes, went shopping..and the next day I had pain in my butt and the side of my thigh! My PT thinks I did too much. I just feel like I should be doing so much better, but I guess my body just heals a bit slower. I had to cut back my walks to 20 minutes a couple times a day and skip a day once in a while. You are doing so great..please don't be discouraged!
 
I'm anxious to start walking and exercising. Yoga seems far away. I'm so glad you are going and hope you tell us how it goes. Hope your toe is better! Toes hurt for a long while, especially if they are broken.
 
I'm glad the icing helped, take things a bit more easy from now on? :sleep:
 
BarbaraR I'm doing well, I think. Feeling more "normal" than not, which I guess is a good sign. Enjoying life, it's actually really emotional to think about. I'm actually upset when I went to HSS for my 6 week appointment, I didn't get a chance to see the surgeon, just saw his PA. Really wanted to think him, perhaps I'll send a card. I wonder if they even remember names.
 
smrt2run, it's great that you're feeling so good. I'm sure your surgeon will remember you-- how many bilateral hip replacements on 24 year olds does he do? It's too bad you didn't get to see him, but I'm sure he'd appreciate a card.
 
BarbaraR Boy I'm late but hope you are feeling better, and got your head examined LOL. Nice weekend here, you relax now!!
smrt2run you are so very thoughtful to write the OS a card-- he'll remember you all right!! :)
 
I hear you on wanting to thank your OS. I felt very emotional at Christmas, which was about 6 weeks post surgery. I thought: what can I do that would be nice...I am sure they get loaded up with chocolates and wine etc. So I bought him a leg prosthesis from a non-profit organization we came across on a vacation in Laos. So many bomblets were dropped on that country during the Vietnam War that villagers, especially children, are still losing limbs from walking on them/playing with them/digging them up. I thought there was a certain symmetry in that 'gift'... he gave me back my leg, I paid it forward by donating one in his name.

Hope you are feeling better, take care of yourself.
 
Well, I knew he had done a lot of work overseas, for example the tsunami in southeast Asia, so I thought he might appreciate the symmetry. Glad to hear that you are getting back to normal. Vicki
 
zauberflöte I can't claim to be that inventive Chris. I am sure my friends hate me at gift-giving time. Most people I know have pretty much everything, so I am the annoying one one who gives virtual sheep, legs etc. My favorite thing right now is kiva.org -- check it out. Its an amazing way to change peoples' lives for a small investment that you can eventually get repaid.

Sorry for the hijack Barbara!
 
Vida BarbaraR Wow, was just looking at Kiva. For all of the medical problems, pain and need for surgery at least we don't have to worry about many of the things these people on the website need. You forget that you just don't live in your own bubble. Grateful to not need things like a way to fix a roof over my head. When I get back to work (hopefully next week) I'll absolutely do this.
 
Ok, people, I have a question for you. Wednesday will be 10 weeks since I had surgery. Yesterday was my grandson's 3rd birthday party so I stood for two hours on a cement floor (something I couldn't have done before surgery), and I just had a full day of work. At the end of the day, I got a muscle cramp in my thigh, medial to the incision (I had anterior approach). It felt like the muscle was slipping- something I used to feel before surgery, and it kind of hurt when I was driving home-- in fact I decided not to go to my book group tonight because I was uncomfortable driving, and don't want to be driving home late at night in pain. I took some acetaminophen when I got home, and I'm feeling ok. Is this normal? I'm going to ice it now, but I'm a little concerned. What do y'all think?
 
BarbaraR Ow. Sounds like your muscle got over-worked from the standing on the hard floor then working all day. I would say that if the acetaminophen took care of it, that's a good sign. You know what they say, rest and ice. I wonder if after that a little warmth and massage will also soothe it? I was told to alternate the heat and ice, and that seems helpful. And massaging those sore thigh muscles always feels good.
One of the people in this forum has a tight IT band problem, and her PT told her to first put a moist,
warm compress on it, then roll it with a rolling pin, then ice it. She says it's worked wonders for her pain. Of course, that was specific to her particular IT problem, but the warmth, then massage, then ice sounds reasonable.

Im sure someone else will come along with the same thing that's happened to them, and know just what to do. Hope it feels better! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom