Guest viewing is limited

THR Home and Feeling Great!

Adapted yoga/chair yoga, energy work, and the warm water therapy pool via Heal Your Hips book guidelines got me through 4 years pre-surgery! Yoga is for EVERY BODY!
 
I guess so because I'd never heard of chair yoga before now!
 
It's been very rewarding to teach it and adapt it for my changing body! I hope folks will check it out. Some community chair yoga classes have the participant stand and use the chair as a prop. I have not done that as I don't want anyone to fall and my students can benefit and be challenged as they choose on the chair!
 
That's such a great thing to do...and to help many seniors who can benefit from safe exercise.
I'm sure your students love you!

Glad all is going well with you!
 
Hi @luvsubes
Wishing you the best of luck tomorrow with your appointment.
Hopefully you get to check some things off your wish list
Stitches / staples GONE.
A real live shower in place of the sink
And a spin around the block behind the wheel :driver:
I'm betting the shower will be your fave.
Let us know how it all goes. A great week to you!
 
Last edited:
Thanks Layla for the support and good wishes! I'll post my results later! I agree a shower is tops. I neglected to add sleep to my list and just saw Dogchicks post on sleep. Sleep alludes me!
 
It was allusive for me also.
I wanted to sleep in my bed for at least four or five hours.
Wasn't happening.
Not comfortable.
Won't depress you with exactly how long it took for me...but did finally happen.
Until then, I was night creeper, and napper.
This too shall pass...hope tonight is a better night!:sleeep:
 
Me wanna know too.
We're a nosy bunch.
Just want all our peeps happy and thriving
Sending love :loveshwr:
@luvsibes
 
Post-Op Update: It's such a long drive for us to Cedars-Sinai in LA from where we live in LA County...you never know about the traffic! So,Togo went to doggie day care and we took off around 10 for my 1 pm appointment with Dr. Klapper. Since he's very hands-on and very in demand, sometimes he runs late and yesterday he was about an hour late due to a surgery complication in the a.m. He still spent a good amount of time with me! He has been worth the drive!

Scar/Wound - I didn't have stitches or staples to be removed. It's a plastic glue. I can see (I hate to look at wounds) the scar area and must wait 1 month more before I do anything to it such as Vitamin E oil, massage (I will do energy figure 8's over it healing touch), or get to the pool. It feels a bit stingy as I sit on ice now. He said I'm healing like a teenager!
Shower - YES! Today!
Precautions - still maintain the 90 degree and mid-line precautions. I can do the dip down with surgical leg extended behind and regular leg bent if don't go over 90 degree). Still no sleeping on surgical side. Yoga and getting on the floor: with precautions and best to work toward this slowly with PT. His remarks: "Be scared" and "Go slowly".
PT - my last home PT will be this week. I've really liked the PT and she's been good in pacing me. I walked almost a mile around the block with her yesterday before leaving for LA! I used the cane and handed it off to her 1/2 way around the block as it's more in the way of my gait. I use it when I'm tired or out and about. I will stay with this distance 1x/day for the next 3 weeks unless I feel I cannot and will cut back. I will have land PT and can start the pool after 1 month more of the scar healing on it's own. (The warm water pool arthritis sessions got me through 3 years pre-surgery and made my rehab go well, I believe). He's a believer in the Bonesmart philosophy that we need to pace, walking and heel slides would be adequate, don't do anything that hurts).
Driving - ok; he said practice in a parking lot first to make sure all body parts are comfortable with the driving.
Meds: Tylenol only. "Soothing products" (as it's called on Bonesmart)
Sleep: Oh well, no great answers on that! Did go back to my Magnesium, calcium, vit C bedtime regimen last night. Some wakefulness but I did sleep a bit better. Also, tried different pillows.
Prognosis: He had told me post-op that the hip looked like someone poured battery acid on the bones as it very deteriorated. He showed me the pre-op x-rays and the ones he took yesterday. My pelvis was tilted creating a great stress on the hip. I am now balanced at the pelvis and my balance is much better (I had had 4 falls since Oct. 17). Be patient, don't push, and he said it takes a year to fully be re-habed!

Thanks for asking and listening. I'm feeling good and will be careful, pace myself (a big challenge), and am anxious for next steps.:loveshwr::dancy::puppysmooze:
 
YAY!
"Celebrate Good Times Come On!"....(Celebration by Kool and the Gang : ):egypdance:
Sooooo happy for you my friend....glad to hear all is normal and your surgeon is happy with your progress!
I let my tape slough off per my surgeons instructions....simply cut the edges off as they curled away from the skin....took 6 weeks before it came off and now I'm massaging it w/Vit E oil to break up the scar tissue a bit!
Sending you lots and lots of healing vibes today for your ongoing recovery ~
Big Hugs,
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I have bits of tape left on mine which should come off with the shower and on it's own.

One thing I didn't mention above, is that after surgery, the initial large bandage which was removed at the hospital took much skin off leaving sores which did heal quickly. Dr. K. said I need to add "adhesives" to my med allergy lists as my skin bonded with the adhesives which is not a normal thing at the degree it occurred.

Thanks for the tune of the day. I love it! Love You!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow....sorry to hear that, guess you don't know until it happens, I can't use rubber Yoga mats because my skin breaks out (I'm allergic to rubber lol)....so I use two, rubber on the bottom and a cheap one on top : )
Glad you like your song, I'm listening to it right now ~ fun and very appropriate for you today my sweet ~
Big Big Hugs to You!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning @luvsibes
Great update!
Its nice to hear that given your OS is in high demand, and your wait time was lengthy, you're still thankful you chose him and satisfied with the amount of time he spent with you. Nothing worse than feeling rushed and like you didn't get all your questions answered.

All sounds good with your incision. What helped me in removing all the gunky residue from the tape was this: With a clean hand, in the shower, I'd very delicately slather body wash on the area (a generous amount) then I'd turn that leg away from the shower head as I washed my hair and body, trying to rinse that area last. It felt like the body wash acted as a solvent of sorts. After several showers I even gently scratched some of that leftover stuff off while in the shower with it soaped up. I was able to shower sooner than you though too. Protocol varies widely across the board on most "things" Recovery. It's crazy! I'm sure you'll hear lots of ideas, that's what great about BoneSmart!

It seems you've always engaged in PT slowly and sensibly, I'll bet you never suffer a set back.
As for driving, it is reassuring to practice somewhere safe first knowing you feel confident in hitting that brake before you join traffic on the big bad road. :driver:

Your recovery is going great! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful news.
I hope your day is lovely and wish you a Happy Fourth of July!
 
Dear Luvs. Great update..
I happy you’re moving forward.
Soon you’ll be in the pool ..what a treat!
Continued wishes for a Great recovery
 
So happy all is going well.:yes!:
May seem slow and hurry up and wait for things you would like to get back to...but hasn't been quite a month yet.
I think you are doing just great.
And you are healing like a teenager!:happyfeet:

Keep the faith...
 
Thanks for the kudos and continued encouragement!

I had hubby take a pic of my wound yesterday. I have wound phobia. Even when our last husky was ill with a dermotological issue and later cancer, I could not tend to the wounds. I tell loved ones I'm a great caregiver but if wound care is needed, I'm not the one. Having worked with family caregivers for a long stretch of my social work career I know that research shows wound care is one of the top stressors for caregiving.

So, I looked at the photo and see that I still have small tape strips running the length of the wound. I have a plastic glue that will dissolve and the tapes will fall off;no stitches or staples. I think that's how I understood it at Dr. K.'s. To be honest, I will call tomorrow and clarify because I thought he was talking about adhesive residue and did not turn to look and tuned out during the wound discussion. I was told it's healing great so no worries. I'm just very squeamish about the wound thing!

I declined holiday invites for today. I'm so easily fatigued with poor night sleep and daytime napping I really don't feel like a big social event. We will stay in with the pup (who doesn't mind the fireworks and noise, unlike our girl husky did) and hang out at home.

I posted once about a friend's daughter with major jaw surgery. I did see her yesterday 1 week post and she's doing quite well. Liquid diet, lots of swelling in her face and mouth, and lots of pain meds but she was doing better that anticipated! The human body is pretty amazing!

I will be sending hugs and prayers to all my Bonesmart buddies!
 
Sounds like you are doing well taking it easy and listening to your body. Keep it up. Good to hear. :yes: My brain isn’t thinking well to respond to people right now, so please excuse whatever I may say...if it is redundant or weird. :heehee:
 
Nothing wrong with staying home and seeing about yourself (I started to say starting home and licking your wounds..but thought that would be extremely tasteless due to your aversion to wounds:giggle:)
Hope you are relaxing...all temporary and the payoff WILL be worth it.
:yes!:
 
Last edited:
Dropping by to say Hi.
Hope you are continuing to move forward. No change here..:sad:
My Hubs Bar B Q ribs were yummy.
We watched Macy’s fireworks on TV. Every year they sponsor a magnificent display over the East River, NYC.
The West Point Band played the accompanying music.
Sending healing thoughts to you, GF:wave:
 
Back
Top Bottom