Guest viewing is limited

THR Home and Feeling Great!

Just wanted to come by to see how you are doing! It sounds like you really have a handle on things, so that’s good. I hope you continue to advance in your recovery as well as you have. Keep up your good work! :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you all for your kudos and good wishes. I haven't been on forum the past couple of days very much but I do appreciate all the responses! @Mojo333 - I did get a morning chuckle from the "licking my wounds" comment and your acknowledgment of my wound phobia! I have the wound on ice now as I play online. The wound is the primary pain and complaint now.

I slept almost 7 hours last night in only 2 shifts with upright being the longest sleep. I tried a new pre-bed regimen. Unfortunately, I try a couple of things at a time generally so I'm never sure of the independent variable. Not too good of a research approach! I've added my magnesium supplements and cal/mag/zinc and C back and another product available to me in Cali. I feel more rested today. I still cannot roll over on the right shoulder although my PT gave me some exercises (off her record) for it and it's better. We also have a TENS which I've put on the shoulder.

Right now, ice on hip and heating pad on shoulder. I already did my 30 minute wake-up yoga, energy work, and PT exercises. I will walk around the block with hubby and pup as they then go on for their more spirited walk after i make it to the door. We must get our early today as it will be 108 in coastal SoCal today! Unbelievable!

Today the PT supervisor comes back out to evaluate my progress and discharge me for outpatient PT. I'm sure I'll pass the test! I'm excited to start outpatient PT which will be land based for a month and then back in the water with PT in salt water! (Wound must be done healing first). I assume my Medcare and insurance will cover all these sessions but I will private pay for the instructed pool sessions. I spent 3 years at a local non-profit warm water pool using Dr. Klapper's material and group exercise led my young lifeguards and non-PT staff. I'm excited for professional guidance as I'll likely continue my local pool for awhile after full discharge.

Moving an ice pack to shoulder now. It takes so long to get ready for the day!

Sorry this is so long! Thanks for listening and your encouraging support!
 
108!! Yikes! I'm not a fan of heat / high temps.

Sounds like you're doing great. I have a shoulder issue too. Never got a diagnosis but know what sets it off.
If I don't try to hook my bra in back rather than spin it around, or sleep on it, I'm good.
But if I do, t-r-o-u-b-l-e! This getting old biz is for the birds sometimes.
But...I'll take it, I'll take it...it's better than the alternative!

Keep up the good work...slow and steady like you have been.
Wishing you and hubs a wonderful weekend. Stay cool in the hot weather!
@luvsibes
 
Thanks Layla, I have the same adaptations for the shoulder! I find the cane is irritating and I actually walk better w/o it but I bring it along with me. I just walked .85 miles following hubby and pup on the first part of their walk before it gets too hot! Back on the ice just to be sure pain doesn't come!

I just realized today is 1 month anniversary! The past month is a blur! I'm ready for the next phase of outpatient PT, getting my hair done finally, and next steps!
 
You are doing just fine...alot of adaptation I realise but all temporary.
Sorry for the added shoulder troubles.
We will persevere...and in a few months you will be surprised at the progress, I'm guessing !
 
:hi:
Happy One Month Anniversary! :happydance:
I know you're doing great. Hope you've had a nice long holiday weekend.
Just think of the strides you'll make over the next month. :yes!:
Wishing you the best as you continue healing!
@luvsibes
 
Thanks for the anniversary wishes. It's been crazy with a heat wave here, our AC went out and is not fixed yet, niecely visiting from back east and a couple of family gatherings and visits with the 98 y.o. aunt, and my step great-grand-daughter leaving tomorrow to work in New Zealand for a year. It's a week of many family gatherings toting Togo along to pet friendly places for the meet-ups as we can't leave him home crated no matter how many fans are going! He's a very well behaved young husky and a great breed ambassador. The heat's ok at night and we've been on the move in the day.

Sun. eve we were out with family and took an escalator up after dinner to get ice cream. No problem for me or pup with hubby. When we are ready to leave, the down escalator is broken. I look around for an elevator, don't see one near, so do my first long stair descent with cane. Slowly, deliberately and mindfully, I made it down with no pain or problems. Another milestone!

I go to my first outpatient PT today after brunch with the g-dau to say "good-bye". Oh, to be young and carefree!

The steri-strips are starting to come off and the scar doesn't look so bad. I get my hair done on Friday!!!!

Sending love and healing to all!
 
Don't you love it when you suddenly burst through milestone after milestone? Good to hear you're getting out despite the wretched heat - .85 miles is nothing to sneeze at, and every obstacle you surmount is a personal victory. Go you!
 
Hi @luvsibes
You've been busy! You continue to have what seems like a great recovery.

I thought we were hot here but you've been dealing with some extreme heat.....without AC!
I heard on Saturday it was over 108F before 10:00am....That is Crazy!

Hope your first out patient PT went well today. You'll have to let us know.
Best wishes for a great week!
 
Happy one month hipversary:yahoo:
Loads of deep healing still happening but you know by now that when you get this recovery mess behind you...that horrid hip pain will be GONE! :yes!:
So happy to hear you are doing well and having hair done and getting out certainly makes us feel human again.:curtsey:
Hope today is a Good Day!
 
This is all very encouraging!~ Glad to know the progress is so good.
 
It sounds as if you are very much on track. I like your sensible decisions (stay at home with the pups). I think prioritizing our own needs for a good recovery is very hard. You set a great example, thank you> hugs being sent by the sackful.
 
Hey @luvsibes,
I hope it's cooled down there. Haven't heard lately.
Wondering how your week is going? I'll bet you're looking forward to your hair appt tomorrow.
Let us know how you're doing one of these days. We'd love to hear.
You've had such a great recovery so far. May it only get better.
Hope you have a great day!
 
108!! Yikes! I'm not a fan of heat / high temps.

Sounds like you're doing great. I have a shoulder issue too. Never got a diagnosis but know what sets it off.
If I don't try to hook my bra in back rather than spin it around, or sleep on it, I'm good.
But if I do, t-r-o-u-b-l-e! This getting old biz is for the birds sometimes.
But...I'll take it, I'll take it...it's better than the alternative!

Keep up the good work...slow and steady like you have been.
Wishing you and hubs a wonderful weekend. Stay cool in the hot weather!
@luvsibes

Thanks Layla, I am doing well! We have the exact same shoulder challenge! I'll post update soon! Thanks for checking in with me!
 
Thanks Layla, I have the same adaptations for the shoulder! I find the cane is irritating and I actually walk better w/o it but I bring it along with me. I just walked .85 miles following hubby and pup on the first part of their walk before it gets too hot! Back on the ice just to be sure pain doesn't come!
Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your shoulder. I had frozen shoulder on my left side, so my whole left side was always in pain between the shoulder and the hip. Got PT for the shoulder and it is doing a so much better, I've got most of my range of motion back, except when reaching behind my back...still working on that. I'm glad I got to that point before my surgery!

I just realized today is 1 month anniversary! The past month is a blur! I'm ready for the next phase of outpatient PT, getting my hair done finally, and next steps!
Happy 1 month anniversary!!
 
Thanks again to everyone for the wonderful support and comments! The heat has lessened back to more normals SoCal temps. We are stilll w/o AC in spite of hubby's heroic attempts to fix it. The next part to try is $$$ so it's time for a new AC system. There's a bit of a waitlist for this but we finally have appointments for estimates Monday! With the fans and a bit of ocean breeze coming in (we're about 7 mi. from shore) it's been ok. We've been on the road with Togo in tow so much this week with all the family events that we've missed some of the heat.

Updates:
Walking: I went the mile around the block a couple of times w/o the cane. Had some mild low back and groin pain (nothing like the past year pre-op). So, yesterday I took the cane and went 1.3 miles with no problems. Well, I have to try things, you know!
Wound: Steri-stips coming off and still a few to go. Wound pain is less. The sores from the adhesive bandages melding with my skin are healed fine but still very red and tender. I'm not sure if there's nerve issues but they look like burn marks.
Sleep: I went back to 1/2 tramadol before bed and am sleeping 6 hours or so at night. Much better!
PT: I had the outpatient PT eval and decided to only go 1x/wk until I'm cleared in August to do warm water pool exercise with a PT. Warm pool work helped me for 3 years to delay (probably delayed too long!) surgery. I want to do it with a PT and then return to my nonprofit warm pool for about 3 months. I hope to move on to other exercise after that (gym, mat yoga, hiking!)
Driving: I drove to the drugstore and corner market and will drive to salon today. No problems other than LA drivers on the road!
Grooming: Yeah, hair appointment today and mini-pedicure next week!

Weight Gain: I know everyone has said this isn't a time to diet and the titanium hip weighs more than bone. I'm us 5 lb. which doesn't sound like much but when you are 5' and over 60, it's enough for clothes to be tight etc. I have been indulgent so am counting my Weight Watchers points and turning myself in (lifetime member) this weekend. Healthy and mindful eating needs to return!

Overall, I'm thrilled as the hip pain in virtually gone! The past 4 years were challenging and I always think I can fix everything naturally myself! The last year was a lot of pain and limping and limiting my lifestyle. I'm so glad I have this behind me! Being in the pool, adapting my yoga practice, and continuing to try to walk even with pain may have put me in a good condition to move through this well.

Love and Peace to all my Bonesmart friends!
 
Thanks for your update! Sounds like you are doing so well! I'm so proud of you! Dory doesn't seem to want to work to figure out what to type, she is being stubborn. Just wanted you to know I read the update and I'm cheering you on! :yes!:
 
What a great update @luvsibes Thanks for taking the time. I'm very happy for you.
You're doing great on all counts.

I had raging bright red skin from where that adhesive was also.
Obviously it went away but I can't recall how long it took.

Glad it's cooling for you a bit in LA. I hope you have a great salon visit and a nice weekend!
 
Back
Top Bottom