THR Hokey cokey OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elosarabrab wonderful checkup! Only (ha! Only!) one more month restrictions, and we won't tell if you bend right over wearing BARE feet while sleeping on your side with your legs crossed! That's interesting about the "one hour in the dentist chair" bit. I'm told by my dentist that cleaning, or any other procedure that gets near the gumline, is as important as surgery. They also tell me that probably I get more bacteria flossing every day than I ever would at the dentist!! Yet another example of different doctors giving different advice...
I also vote for the wan and languishing appearance at work. And, hard as it may be, limp and grimace!

I phoned them to ask about antibiotics and was told they are no longer required.
Did you say that you were calling specifically about a THR? I take them for mitral valve prolapse (heart), and a few years ago the AHA or the ADA or both said that antibiotics weren't proven to do any good in that situation, so to heck with em. I still take them-- call me old fashioned. Don't want to fix what ain't broke!

Songlady I cannot believe I am officially an old lady with a cane to whack people with, but there we have it, I am!:rotfl:
 
Very interesting about the dentistry, Elosarabrab. I was told, after my first hip, that I needed antibiotics for a dental cleaning more than a filling, because cleaning released "a lot of bacteria into one's system." (EWWW!:yikes: ) This sort of agrees with what you said about flossing, zauberflöte.
But then I got a new dentist (mine retired) and he said it wasn't necessary, and handed me a long article that I can't really understand.
I am going to ask my OS about that when I see him in several weeks, and also about the need for antibx at the time of a colonoscopy, which I have annually (lucky me..)
TeeEm, I think asking a GP might be the best thing to do - the other parties all have certain vested interests. I mean, the GP might be more impartial...?
 
Hi, Elosarabrab ... great report! So glad you celebrated with a bus ride with Ed and then a pub. And wearing sandals, too. Without black socks. Again, it is fascinating the range of do's and don'ts about antibiotics and various other things. Yes, milk it when you see the boss. In fact, TAKE A COW with you. Coworkers and bosses forget about the surgery, whether conveniently or otherwise. They see you walking around pretty well and smiling for five minutes and assume that's how you feel all the time and that everything is peachy keen. You need to keep them in check. Let us know how it goes!

LeeApril26 ... I am absolutely not nicer than you about that bus deal. I would not be jumping up and down in an aisle seat to let people off. I know what you mean about being squished, but that happens no matter where you sit if you are unlucky enough to have a seat mate. I feel a lot like Ruth Buzzi, too! Wanting to bop those stupid bicyclists in Midtown. Three of them on their stupid Citibank bikes were riding side by side and came right on top of me. I didn't see them because I was looking at the other idiots with their skateboards and whatever else. I yelled at them, too, just like Ruth Buzzi. At my morning bus stop I sometimes see the same people. There is a sullen mother of a crybaby boy around 8 years old and he always looks aghast when he can't get a seat while waiting for the bus to come. I just glare atop my glasses and make sure my big, ol' cane is there front and center for him and his mean mother to see. Then, when I arrive at the stop and they are there first, sitting in the seats, they don't get up for me at all. And I do NOT have the nerve to ask them to, either. The mother outdoes me with her glare. My cane wilts in her presence.
 
Oh Peaches, I can never glare anyone into giving up a seat. When I was a kid I was never allowed to sit if an older adult was standing, but that seems to have changed. My plan on the bus is to stand in front of a very healthy looking person and wobble, and wave the cane around. If I can't sit I can imply that I will crush them if I fall. Nice plan, no? I almost tripped over two huge poodles on twisted leashes today, but I made it!
 
Elosarabrab, I also have different size implants. The OS said to make them both the same he would have broke my right hip getting it in. At my only OS appointment after my second surgery, the doctor told me that the antibiotics for dentist work has become undecided. Some dentists require them some don't. He gave me a prescription because at the time of my visit I had a tooth that was feeling sensitive. He said to take them about an hour before my appointment. I haven't gone to the dentist but when I do I will take them just for my piece of mind. I also have been wearing sandals and digging around in the gardens but for gardening I wear gloves mostly because I don't want my hands stained from weeds and what not. TeeEm @Littlejen Kim22 do you see the northern lights at night?
 
Hi Barbara A great postop check for you and a lovely lunch with Ed as well.I would milk it for all its worth when you go back to work as others have said colleagues soon forget that you have had major surgery not very long ago and expect you to carry on like you hadn't It would be a good idea to take your stick with you to serve as a reminder
 
Hi sandybeach Its quite unusual to see them in fact people travel up to Norway to see them, However there were a couple of occasions last year when they were visible in the UK but I was not one of the lucky ones We did see a meteorite last September when we were up in Northumberland at the time I thought it was a UFO LOL .
 
sandybeach I've never seen the northern lights in the uk, like Kim said there was a spell of them being more visible last year but the conditions have to be so perfect and I guess I am too far south. I have been lucky enough to see them several time though when visiting Kiruna in Sweden in the Arctic Circle and they can be spectacular!!
Elosarabrab Barbara how did your visit into work go today, did you show them your best acting skills and 'milk' the situation, I hope so, also hope it wasn't too tiring and stressful and I'm looking forward to hearing your update later x
 
We see the northern lights here, I was thinking that maybe you did also. I thought you were north enough. They can be quite beautiful but you never know when the conditions are right to see them, it's hit, miss. Sometimes they look like a glow and as you watch them they begin to move around. Elosarabrab I hope you can get more time off work if you don't feel ready to go back yet. Today is the end of my first full week at work. I do feel tired and when I get home I'm ready for the couch but I have dinner to make and a kitchen to clean up. Yeah, life is almost back to normal for me, I just wish my legs were.
 
Kim22 zauberflöte Peaches LeeApril26 Songlady TeeEm sandybeach Littlejem ByGosh sqwerlie Red Shoe Maeve
I went to my GP this morning and got him to do a fit note which said start back 22nd July as a phased return. I got a letter from him for Access to work people. They help with transport costs so I can get a taxi if I find the commute too much in the first weeks back.
I went to work for my meeting my line manager and his manager held it. It was pretty informal just wanting to know what I needed. Was there anything they could do to make things easier? I said could I do 10 till 2 for two weeks then see how we do? They said they were happy for me to do a month of that shift if I wanted then gradually do longer days. So we are going to play it by ear.
I didn't need to dramatic grimaces and hobble in. I just used my stick/cane and walked slowly.
 
Elosarabrab does your job require you to be on your feet for long periods of time? I have a desk job, I can get up and move around as much as I need or I can sit. I usually go out of the office for lunch to get some air and break up my day and it gives me exercise too.
 
Elosarabrab July 22nd will come quick enough. I wish I had taken a few more weeks off, not that I can't do my job but then I would have been more healed. I eased back into work with short days. Now I'm back full time. We are getting into our busiest time of year in our office so it's good I'm back. I do miss my leisure days off and my afternoon naps.
 
fit note which said start back 22nd July as a phased return
Ooo. Thats good. Another month off, followed by a 4 hour day for a month - And of course, if you are working 10 till 2, you need to have a lunch break too. Lol. Have you got lots of leave to fit in as well ? You need a summer break dont forget. :wink:
I went to the hairdressers today and got the bus back. There were only 3 others on it - all old women - I was very disapointed at the lack of pelvis thrusters. Better luck next time. :snork:
 
Elosarabrab I'm so glad you're work meeting went well and that they are so very helpful with your phased return. Are you going to be able to get up and move around if you start to stiffen up, I hope so as it could be quite uncomfortable. You still have 4 more weeks to go before returning though so hopefully you'll be so bored you'll be looking forward to it!!
 
Elosarabrab That's great. It sounds like a sensible return and a kindly management, at least for your re-entry. So glad you didn't need to grimace and hobble, but keep it in reserve! The taxi access sounds like a terrific program.
TeeEm The pelvis thrusters usually save their performances for the rush hour, so there is no escaping them. Try again-I'm sure NYC isn't the only place to have them!
 
Hi Barbara I am so glad that the meeting with your manager went well and that you don't have to go back for another month as well as starting on a 4 hour day.The company sound reasonable and understanding but I agree with Janet that you will need to negotiate short stretching breaks throughout the day to ensure you don't stiffen up.Enjoy the next 4 weeks I hope we get some more sun.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom