Guest viewing is limited

THR Hokey cokey OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 10 pm and the sun is just setting. As its been a lovely day the sunset has been very beautiful. I am trying to really appreciate it as the weather is due to nose dive over the weekend.
 
nmscienceteacher I haven't yet started on a bike-- I don't have one, and am not yet driving, need to remedy that one! I do have a treadmill, but it's currently being used as a railing for the killer steps into the garage/laundry. Sigh...
It's 10 pm and the sun is just setting.

sandybeach oh you lucky dog!!!!! I vote don't cut it, or else cut it for cancer patients (whatever your local group is?) and then grow it out again. Find new ways of putting it up. Braid, etc etc, I know it's a pain but most of us look at you with green green eyes :)

.I have had the same style for over 10 years and about 4 years ago I asked for a new one and took advice from a very young and trendy hairdresser The hair looked great until I washed it and tried to do it myself and what a mess.
Kim22 heh I have you beat by 20 years! And, why I dare not cut/change my styles! I have very long thin fine gray-but-looks-blonde hair, which I've worn up in various styles for 30 years. If I cut it, I will look just like my mother, and I'm not ready for that yet. When I'm 85, then may be ready...

Kim22 Littlejem TeeEm Oh I love the late nights. We get light here about 5:00am, and it's totally dark by about 9:30pm. That will soon change, as we swing around the sun. I once went on a cruise at midsummer to the Baltic, up to the Arctic-- that was glorious!!! Light at 2:00am!!!! I never needed to sleep, really. But the winter must be gruesome for youall, right? Still dark at 9am?
 
Kim22 I hope your knee settles down. You are right to make the most of the sun as we never know how long it will last. Be prepared with wellies and rain coat :sigh:
sandybeach zauberflöte TeeEm Littlejem Songlady LeeApril26 Peaches
I wish my leg hair would stop growing. My skin and hair are/is dry I think I will have to start cod liver oil and evening primrose oil capsules.
My hair is fine/thin shoulder length I am wary of hair dressers so end up with it in a pony tail or clipping it up.
I am planning a phased return to work hopefully 20 hour week for 2 weeks and take it from there. As I said the commute is going to be the tiring bit I think.
nmscienceteacher
I started on the exercise bike about week 7 post op.
 
LeeApril26 It seems to be a common complaint dry skin and hair. I am not on any medication now so I think the body has sent all the healing to the hips and there is nothing left for the hair and skin. I will try the evening primrose oil and the cod liver oil. I will let you know if it helps after a few weeks.
 
Elosarabrab Thank you. I've been off the pain pills for a while, too. Worth trying the supplements. I finally got to the store and picked up a leave in conditioner for my hair today. Will try tomorrow. Hope your skin gets softer and your hair shiny. :)
 
Good luck with the bus, Elosarabrab and LeeApril26 (though, Lenora, didn't you take your ride already, as in yesterday?). YOu might try to figure out, too, which buses have the lowered step. In NYC, it seems to me it's best to always get off at the FRONT of the bus, as that step seems lower to the ground that the back exit. Even though they have an annoying announcement that constantly tells riders to get off in the back of the bus.

I was scared silly to get on my first bus, but part of that was riding with the pillows I had brought with me.
One other tip: If you can, try to sit with your op-side away from the aisle. Because if you have people standing in the aisle near you, on a crowded bus, they will bump into your operated hip. That has happened to me several times.

Another tip is to keep your cane extended out in the aisle, as a barrier or to trip any obnoxious riders.
I joke, of course (reluctantly).

And, as we mentioned on another thread, practice your Old Lady (or Mean Lady) Glare. Wear eyeglasses, put them down on your nose, and peer above them, sternly, at any man, woman, or child who dares butt into your op side repeatedly. If the annoying person is an unbalanced one, such as a strange man who thrusts his pelvis disturbingly near you, do NOT employ The Glare. Instead, employ The Empty Glazed Eye and look out at the window as if your life depended on it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
 
LeeApril26 ... one more thought from my "Meditations on Riding the Bus" ... I REFUSE and I mean REFUSE to squeeze my big carcass out from the inside side when some oaf refuses to GET UP OFF HIS OR HER DUFF and let me out! Now that I have a cane, I might just bop them on the head the next time they barely budge and, instead, grunt and expect me to squeeze myself out. I have actually said, "I AM TOO FAT TO GET OUT UNLESS YOU GET UP" and that startles them, but even then they barely get up. People sometimes can be such nightmares on public transportation.
 
Peaches you are nicer than I am. I don't sit in inside seats- just get up to let people in. Got tired of sitting over the wheel, and being squished. I thought I was going to be arrested for bopping a cyclist with my cane of of these days, but you may be first on the bus. I feel like Ruth Buzzi on Laugh In, hitting people with her bag.
 
Oooh public transport, I really don't envy you your journeys in any country!! I went on the subway in New York back in December, it's very like our underground in London and I hate both!! I'd rather struggle to walk for the 30 mins from Paddington to the Museum when I need to go, than faff around with stairs, escalators and more importantly, inconsiderate commuters!! I'm lucky to only have to do the journey 'every so often' though and I can drive to my normal place of work.
 
I so agree with you @littlegem The last public transport I used was a train between Durham and Manchester Airport to visit my daughter after she had the baby last Novenber I couldn't believe how crowded it was and my hip ached so badly as there was so little leg room but at least it was midweek so I managed to avoid the drunks which frequent the railways at weekends.I hope you are ok will pop over to your thread to check.
 
TeeEm. You should try the subway. Lots of strange men there!
Kim22 Littlejem. It's funny what you get used to doing, I love the subway. I bring a book and ignore everything else. But, I get really nervous driving or riding in a car on high speed highways. when I visit my son in LA I close my eyes on the 405, a wide, high speed road.
 
Kim22 zauberflöte Peaches LeeApril26 Songlady TeeEm sandybeach Littlejem ByGosh sqwerlie Red Shoe Maeve anyone else I missed I meant you too,
Just back from my post op check up. Had x ray done everything is healing well. My implants are different sizes the left one is a bigger cup and the stem is longer too. I don't know why I was surprised by that. I wore my sandals and nothing was said. I asked about my left knee pain and they said it was soft tissue that was still settling down to my new way of walking. I asked about antibiotics for dental visits and she said it was only for major work and not for routine fillings. She said as a rule of thumb if it took more than an hour in the dentist chair it would need antibiotics. My next appointment will be April next year for routine follow up. They will check both hips then instead of two separate visits. I am to follow restrictions for another month. I didn't tell them I had been sleeping on my side for a month now also I bend down to do stuff :angel: She said the exercise bike would be good for me.
Ed came with me so after the hospital we took a bus in to town. It was a little tricky getting on and off and the seat was a little low for me but I managed. Ed was ready to help if I needed him. We went for a pub lunch then came home on the bus.
Tomorrow I have to go in to work to see my manager and HR. To give them an update. Ed says I should hobble in and milk it for all its worth :skep:
 
Yey getting out and having a pub lunch means you must be well and truly on the mend!! :happydance:I hope the trip in to see the boss goes ok tomorrow and I agree with Ed, 'milk it', you don't want them thinking you can do too much too soon do you!! Good luck :friends:
 
Elosarabrab Sounds like you had a good check up. It is surprising about the differing sizes, but you are walking and hopping onto buses, so it's clearly working. And, yeah for the pub lunch! I agree that you should hobble pale and wanly into work tomorrow.
Thanks for wearing sandals. :gaah: :) I think my surgeon is just lots more cautious. I have to use antibiotics for a dental cleaning, a UTI, an ingrown toenail (which I will get because I can't wear sandals!!!).
 
Hi Elosarabrab - yay! Your appointment sounds good, and it's so interesting and helpful to hear what other dr.s' say (or not sawy, <ahem> LeeApril26.. :rolleyes: ) Taking the bus with Ed sounds like such a sensible plan! And I'm glad the ride worked for you, even if it was not the most comfy thing ever.
As you probably know, I went back to work "partially" a few weeks ago, and I find that I am being presented with loads of work to do; it's as if they (even the Boss, who is a former nurse!) have forgotten all about the surgery. SO...for your visit to HR and the manager, I have to vote with Ed! Do you have any really pale makeup.....? :rotfl:
I do find that when I use the cane people are more deferential, and in public give me a little more space. (They're afraid I'll whack 'em!)
 
Ed says I should hobble in and milk it for all its worth
Go for it :wink:

She said as a rule of thumb if it took more than an hour in the dentist chair it would need antibiotics.
Funnily enough, I had an email from my dentists today reminding me that I had a dental clean booked for early July, so I phoned them to ask about antibiotics and was told they are no longer required.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom