Guest viewing is limited

THR Hokey cokey OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elosarabrab My hair is short, so I dont have the tangled problem, but my hair is very very dry. I thought it was the shampoo I was using, but maybe it's a healing thing then . My skin is very dry as well. I've started taking cod-liver oil capsules again (stopped those when I was on clexane) and vitamin tablets to see if it helps.
I dont envy you going back to work - or the commute to get there. Im so grateful to my GP who has given me a sick note off until the end of August. But that is only because I had a fracture. Every cloud has a silver lining. Otherwise, I would have been going back in about 2 weeks. Are you going back on phased return?
 
Elosarabrab Kim22 TeeEm Littlejem sandybeach LeeApril26 if I could remember what I meant to say, I'd say it! Everyone's comments are helpful to me, I read and learn and adjust my own attitude towards patience!
I joined a YMCA just before surgery, and maybe at 6 weeks will go to the adjoining PT facility to see what I may do about the biking! 2 minutes to start, got it. :)
 
Hello everyone! I seem to have finally got rid of my lumps and bumps - I was told at my follow-up appointment that they were due to internal stitches and would dissolve eventually but gentle massage would help.
It's the little things that make such a difference (and only other bonesmarties really appreciate why) to our lives. That first shower/hairwash, putting on socks and shoes unaided, a trip out to the supermarket and coffee shop - doesn't take much to get us excited!
One strange thing - Josephine said it's quite common after surgery - is that all the hairs on my legs disappeared! I am getting the odd one now but with warmer weather finally here and the shorts on I would be glad if the didn't grow back at all. It didn't seem to affect head, eyebrows, etc. even though I had a spell of dry, flaky skin. TeeEm I take fish oil capsules which do seem to help and use lots of body lotion (E45 - recommended for excema sufferers).
Anyway, as zauberflöte says, keep reading, learning and acquire that elusive patience!
Big hugs all round Anne
 
hey Nannyannie ! If only my leg hair would totally disappear LOL. About 5 years ago the bottom 1/3 of my legs became hair-free, which is realllly nice for wearing shorter pants. But the rest of the leg, not so lucky. It is truly unfortunate that I have that pattern baldness gene, and will be extremely thin on the head in another 10 years. Already I have less than half what I had before menopause, which wasn't all that much to start with...phooey! I am jealous of my sister, who inherited our dad's thick lush silky hair till the day she dies. Gorgeous hair, gorgeous eyes with real eyelashes, skinny body, how can I be her sister?????:rotfl:
 
It's been a beautiful day up here on the Northumberland coast I managed to walk about 1.25 mile along the path overlooking the Farne Islands I really appreciated being able to do it.One problem I have now is just as the groin strain seems to be settling a little the knee of the none operated side is playing up I suppose it has taken quite a bit of strain over the past 2 years and especially over the past 3 months.The last X-ray was taken over 2 years ago and it showed early O/A changes.
 
Elosarabrab Kim22 TeeEm Littlejem sandybeach LeeApril26 @Nannyannie
I haven't been over to this your thread in a while, Barbara, so I've been catching up! All this talk of cycling... I am SO eager to get back on my bicycle!! I will as soon as I think I can get on and off safely.
Most days I am not walking long amounts at a time. I started wearing my pedometer just to track how many steps I take in daily activities. (The day I moved Mom back home was an impressive number!:umm: )
I also appreciated the discussion of hair and nails! Mine have been growing erratically, and somehow (duh!) I never thought to connect that with the surgery. Thanks, all!:friends:
 
Kim22 what a gorgeous walk that must be :) Glad the groin is settling some, and sorry for the knee.. will you try this walk again soon? Being as summer might come and go very quickly... These next few days are when you have daylight until all hours, right? I wish I could visit now-- I love that northern latitude phenomenon :)
 
Hi Barbara I must say I am impressed that you can cycle for a full 15 minutes now I have just done 5 for the first time and feel exhausted perhaps evening visits to the gym not a good idea even if all I am doing is 5 minutes.I realise how far I need to go to work on my fitness levels and I only hope that the old joints as well as the new one allow it to happen.Now I am off for a lie down ! A pedometer is a good idea Songlady I have one somewhere at home I think I will get it out
 
Kim22 what a gorgeous walk that must be :) Glad the groin is settling some, and sorry for the knee.. will you try this walk again soon? Being as summer might come and go very quickly... These next few days are when you have daylight until all hours, right? I wish I could visit now-- I love that northern latitude phenomenon :)

It's amazing as it is still light until very late about 10 pm and there is still some light in the sky at about 11 pm.We have very long days up North at the moment.We are home next week but we are back up here for 2 whole weeks from the first of July so will be able to try the walk again all being well but goodness knows what the weather will be like by then.It all depends on the Gulf Stream and where it chooses to be.As we sat on a seat looking over the sea my husband remarked that we could be in New England !
 
Wow, Kim22! Well, here in New England, it's duskish around 8:30/8:45. I think: it's been raininy the past few evenings! I'll check it out tonight - a beautiful sunny day today. I do love to wear the pedometer - it motivates me to keep moving! As zauberflöte said: sorry about the knee, glad the groin is better.
 
Elosarabrab i don't envy you that commute to work, you'll get tired just getting there and back! I have a 40 min drive to work and park close to my office so have very little walking to do if I'm just sat in the office for the day. If I'm entertaining guests or visitors I'm on my feet more but I've been mostly spared that job recently!!
 
Kim22 New Engladn is gorgeous and my second "heart-home", but I have to think that where you are right now must be more beautiful :) It's that extra couple of hours daylight...
Songlady -- sun? sun? We had about 3 feet of rain yesterday, sort of all at once. On top of the 17 feet in the previous few days, it's wet around here right now. My rosemary are not going to survive, their feet are going to be wet for another month or so.:sad:
 
At what point post op did most of you start on the exercise bike? I need to hunt round on the net for a progression of exercises for the hip.
 
All this hair talk I need to put my two cents in.....I want to get my hair cut but I need to find a style. My problem I want something different than what I have had and I have not had a actual haircut, just trim in about 3 years. My hair is almost to my waist. I have always come up with reasons not to get it cut. It was nice for surgery and recovery. I just washed it and put it in a ponytail. My hair is really thick so it's a lot of work now that I'm back to work.
 
nmscienceteacher I started back on mine after I had my post-op check up and given the ok to get on with my life. Ive put the seat up higher than I used to have it, because even though the 90% restrictions have been lifted, I dont want to over bend my hip too much.
 
sandybeach How lovely to have thick waist length hair. My hair is very fine, so it has never looked good if it gets too long and goes into rat tails. There are lots of hairstyle sites on the web. I remember using one a while ago where you downloaded a photo and fitted the hairstyles to your face to see if it suited you.
 
At what point post op did most of you start on the exercise bike? I need to hunt round on the net for a progression of exercises for the hip.

I had to wait until 12 weeks as I needed the go ahead from by OS and didn't see him until then. I needed to see him first as I was unlucky enough to sustain a groin strain in week 7 although I know I did it after an awkward twist of the hip I had overdone things leading up to the incident so learn from my mistake and take things easy after your surgery.My mantra should have been slow and steady. Most people start on the bike much earlier than me.When are you having your surgery ?
 
sandybeach You are so lucky having waist length thick hair and the style looked good in your photo but I appreciate what you are saying about wanting a new style.Its always good to have a change.I have had the same style for over 10 years and about 4 years ago I asked for a new one and took advice from a very young and trendy hairdresser The hair looked great until I washed it and tried to do it myself and what a mess.It took ages to grow out and as soon as it did I went back to my usual style LOL
 
sandybeach Like kim says you are lucky to have such long thick hair and I'd be very apprehensive to have it cut! Couldn't you just learn different ways to put it up that would make it look different from what you normally have or are you set to have it cut and if so how much?? I think what TeeEm suggested about uploading your photo onto various hairstyles is a great idea! zauberflöte we get some lovely long days during the summer months, it's just coming up to our longest day and the sun will start to rise about 4ish and not set until around 10pm. I spent a couple of days in Iceland in June a couple of years ago and the sun there never goes down completely, it feels really odd sitting in an outside jacuzzi at midnight and still being able to see the mountains in the distance!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom