Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

My home health PT guy is wonderful. I really can't say enough good about him, he isn't doing or having me do anything that's different from ADL's . Today I was seated and he had me stand, 3 x's, that's all. Then we went for a very very slow walker walk focusing on me keeping my right foot forward, we did that for 10 minutes. We came inside and I'd mentioned how very difficult getting up in the morning truly is for me - he wants me to have a heating pad on my thigh maybe 5 to 8 minutes prior to getting up. Seeing if that won't "relax" the muscle so I can move. I've never thought or heard of that before.

Wed. the knee is 4 weeks old - he thinks we'll walk to the neighbors driveway and back as a celebration!!!
 
Sounds like your making great progress! :yes:
 
Yesterday was ugly and I'm glad its behind me. With all of the surgeries I've had I've never had "the blues" or "emotions" be an issue. I thought I had a handle on them, but nope, not so much yesterday. Of course almost 2 hrs on the phone trying to straighten out an insurance issue didn't help. Obviously I've had #3 revision and some "nurse" questions me. She is determined she is correct - I've not had surgery so I don't need home health-even though I've been having it! I wouldn't give up so she was going to "call your PCP and see why he thought I needed PT." I tried ever so hard to not explode. I don't know of any PCP's that due surgery. I explained that was my PCP but Dr. X did my surgery. Her response "are you sure?" I finally said we were getting no where and I needed to lay down. "Why?" Oh my lawd.............. my next words were, bye now.

I did call my PCP's office in case they received anything, which that had. They sent it on to the surgeons office. I called surgeon's office and let them know what was happening. Next was insurance - to express my displeasure of how this wasn't being handled. Immediately I had a supervisor whom was going to get the wheels in motion. The hold up is the "nurse" is a 3rd party "examiner" whom has no notes, etc, just an order for PT. Apparently unlimited PT or Home Health isn't really unlimited. Its unlimited if its approved, by that nurse. Ugh. I think we finally got it straightened out - although I've not heard from anyone today. That's ok - its beautiful sunny weather here today - I've walked outside one time and will do so again. Plan on sitting on the patio - but not for long.

Happy healing everyone. And let's put those dark grey days behind us.
 
I’m sorry you got the blues. They are very real. Hopefully a beautiful sunny day and doing something that brings some normalcy into your day will help zap those blues away.
 
Again I am so impressed by my home health PT guy. The saga of no 'official' PT last week because of insurance issues has ended. So yesterday my PT guy came. He pulled up a chair and ask & listened to questions about the knee. We then walked through the house a couple of times and he had me sit in a chair and get up 5x's. Then we walked a couple of loops in the house - that was it. He could tell I'd been walking more (even outside several houses) and was pleased.

Now what impressed me was that he said 3x's that I've got 7 or 8 more visits from him. What he kept "suggesting" was that when home health PT was done I don't immediately call & begin outpatient PT. He said he'd wait a week of me doing my own thing, which frankly is ADL's plus a tiny walk outdoors, before thinking about calling outpatient PT. Then he'd wait another week before acting on the call. He has big concerns that IF I do outpatient PT all of this 'restful' rehab will be shot. And I feel the same way. My plan is to keep doing what I'm doing now until it runs out. I will then do home ADL's and see how it goes.
 
I have to rat myself out. I did something I knew I shouldn't have - I drove. Now to be clear, I started the car, backed it out, hubby got in - we drove around 2 blocks - and came home. The driving per say was fine, going from the gas pedal to the brake was fine, but going from the brake to the gas pedal was oh so painful.

Now what upset me to no end was when we got home - gone all of 10 minutes at the most - was how difficult even getting out of the car was. Then taking the first couple of steps. Hubby knows me well, he immediately commented "you'll get stronger and better." I just was disappointed in that. Sigh.............
 
I'm sorry your knee didn't like the drive. Maybe it will be ready for that in a couple more weeks.

But the good thing is that you know you can drive, if you need to in an emergency.
 
I was glad to know that exactly Celle, in an emergency I could drive. Now, to not have an emergency!!

This morning was a bear - so swollen, sore & stiff I couldn't believe it. Let's just say I barely made it to the restroom, and its not 10 ft from my side of the bed. I wobbled on my walker & was miserable. Took some pain meds which did nothing (and ice). I called my PT whom came by to see the swelling. He listened and then touched and looked the leg over - definite swelling. He wants me pretty much bed bound with elevation & ice for 3 days. Then "see" what the knee is like. He called it compartmentalized swelling. So I'll be in the bed icing & elevating.

One shaky step forward and 3 back, it is what it is.
 
Needing some encouragement here. I just don't feel like I'm progressing at all. Some days are better than others, but this knee still hurts, and hurts badly. I'm tough but mentally I think I'm wearing down. Tired of being tired and hurting - just like everyone else!!

Swelling has always been an issue with me, and this time is no different. As we all know when the knee is swollen it doesn't bend properly - and the vicious circle begins. I walk around the house with the walker and do ADL plus heal slides & leg lifts. Today for some reason I'm at the point of wanting to sit in the corner, suck my thumb and cry until it feels better! Not too mature of me I know, but honest.

Home health PT will be over on Friday. The thought of going to an outpatient PT place almost makes me vomit. My PT guy doesn't want me to go outpatient. He said just do ADL's and that will be that. The first thing outpatient PT will do is put me on a bike. I am so not ready for that. I know my surgeon will not be happy with me if I don't at least attempt outpatient PT and silly me doesn't want him upset!! (Can you tell I'm a people pleaser at all costs?)

Wish I could consistently get the pain under control that would help. I'm afraid of running out of strong meds. I've tired several times with Tramadol and it just doesn't do much for me. Oh the joys and pitfalls of major surgery. I'll get through it, just pretty worn down now.
 
The thought of going to an outpatient PT place almost makes me vomit. My PT guy doesn't want me to go outpatient. He said just do ADL's and that will be that. The first thing outpatient PT will do is put me on a bike. I am so not ready for that. I know my surgeon will not be happy with me if I don't at least attempt outpatient PT and silly me doesn't want him upset!! (Can you tell I'm a people pleaser at all costs?)
It's not your OS's knee, it's your knee. Your OS doesn't have to deal with the pain and exhaustion of going to PT. You do. You know you don't have to go if you don't want to. You've been through this before, so I'm not going to preach to you. You don't have to tell your OS that you're not taking PT. I never told mine and he never asked. He was happy with my function and never mentioned my numbers.
 
I sympathize with you 100%. I am in same boat as far as pain and multiple surgeries go. The pain really wears you down physically and mentally. Like you said some days are better than others but certainly not anywhere near where I’d like to be. Is your pain through out the knee or localized? Mine is mostly all in the medial with some above knee cap. My quad muscles are extremely weak also. I just wanted to say your not alone and we will get through this. Hugs
 
My PT guy doesn't want me to go outpatient. He said just do ADL's and that will be that.
Here is a professional opinion that you can trust.

If it was me having been through all you have, you couldn’t pay me to go to PT. In fact, I still wouldn’t go and I haven’t been through all you have.

Your knee needs gentle home movements more than it needs out patient PT, as your current guy has told you.

You are also experiencing the post op blues, try to accept them for what they are. We are here for you. You’re doing great for all you’ve been through.
:console2::console2:
 
Thanks for the encouragement. That is why this site is so vital - its people whom know exactly how your feeling and have been through it.

Now, I had something very odd happen this morning. Something woke me up (the start of pain) around 6:00am. I moved around in bed and was trying to doze back off when it felt like I was hit by a tidal wave of pain. My quad, knee and shin were just screaming in pain. I tried to get up but quickly realized that wouldn't work - leg was too tense. Hubby was beside himself (he can't stand for me to be in pain) and neither one of us knew what to do. He got the ice machine with fresh ice but I couldn't even handle the pad that goes across the knee. I took 2 hydrocodone 10 mg and a flexeral 10 mg. Then realized I'd better have a cracker or stomach issues would happen.

After about an hour the medicine kicked in and I just rested several hours. By mid-morning I was up and about - all be it very slowly. The knee is sore but not more swollen than usual. I spent the afternoon elevating and icing. I've cooked dinner and heading back to ice more. That was scary pain for sure.
 
I bet you did some kind of movement in your sleep that really hurt your knee. Unfortunately, we can't predict when that will happen, but it does. I think we've all experienced it.
 
Yes I agree with @sistersinhim we have all moved in our sleep and been woken up by the pain. Not a pleasant way to wake up for sure. Sounds like you knew what to do, give that knee some TLC.
 
Jolease the majority of my pain is lateral and what feels like around knee cap. My quad is also a huge part of my pain - tight, stiff, sore in general my quad isn't happy. So sorry your going through this also.

I had an idea and want to see if its valid, or me just grasping for a solution. We all know walking is what helps us. I am still using a walker, its needed. With spring time upon us I like to be outdoors. With my current walker (the standard type 2 wheels on the front and skids on the back) just isn't ideal for walking outdoors. So I'm not walking outdoors. My thought was to get a roller walker (one with four wheels). I truly think if the walker moved smoother outdoors I would slowly start going for little walks, slowly going farther. Yes the goal is to not need a walker or a cane - that I get. But I just don't see any harm in a roller walker IF I'm moving more and IF it keeps me in the proper upright stance. Its not to 'rely' on, but rather to help me through - does that make sense? Thoughts? Anyone have any experience with one?
 
I think you make valid points. A walker is a tool and you should use it if it helps you. You probably should still be careful not to walk further than you should, which I’m sure you will do, but it might do a world of good to get outside, get some fresh air and sunshine.

I am actually looking at that type of walker for my husband. We were in a doctor’s office on Friday and 2 people had the type of walker you mentioned and they look like a great idea. I also like the seat they have, as my husband can’t walk or stand for long, due to back pain, so the seat would be an advantage for him.
 
@eaglemom if you believe a walker like that would work for you, by all means get one. Our ultimate goal is to walk unaided but until then, use whatever tool works best for you.
 
I have done what I seem to always do - over think, over compare, over analyze and analysis paralysis happens! I make no decision, ugh. I've decided I am going to get a Rollator of some variety. Equally decided the cheapest isn't the best way to go, nor is the highest price. I'm going for middle of the line that looks sporty!!!

I'm 7 weeks post op tomorrow. Swelling and stiffness are an issue - as always. Thigh stiffness either seems to be very stiff or not bad. I've yet to figure that out. I've driven 3x's - all of which are within 4 miles of our house. Its ok to drive - I'm just not comfortable doing it, yet. That will come.

Back to my comparison chart - I want to get this ordered so I can enjoy it on these beautiful days.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom