Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

I've had numerous rehab's of my knee pre-BoneSmart. This time I vowed to do it differently because nothing in the past has worked. I know many many of you have had horrid experiences with PT, and bad results. I almost feel bad posting how different this PT rehab has been going.

I just have to brag on this PT guy again. His scheduled changed so he ask if he couldn't come this morning. I said yes, but I'd done my routine already. So he shows up - chipper as could be thanking me for helping him with his schedule changes. Wow. Then of course we talked and I mentioned a twinge I was having occasionally. He listened intently and said lets just walk about the house and see how that goes. So we did one big loop through the house and he has me stand at the kitchen counter. Asks if he can touch my knee where I'd said the twinge was - of course. He felt the knee ever so gently and then the hamstring area I spoke about. Then he said "ok we're done for today. No exercises and off to bed for you. This knee is very unhappy hot and mad. Elevating on the pillow, ice on the bottom & top of the knee. Nothing else today your done." I guess I looked at him funny and he said (like we've all learned here) if you try to exercise a swollen hot knee you will only cause more swelling and pain. I just thanked him for his excellent advise and how he's not pushing me to do things. He said my knee is very fragile with everything that's been done to it and for him to give me tons of exercises would simply be wrong. I'm happily married but I love this guy!!

In case anyone wants to know what he has as my PT routine here it is.
Walk slowly around the house one time.
Lay on the bed and using a band - heal slides, 5 to the left & 5 to the right.
On the bed leg lifts, 10. But make my muscle relax then lift straight leg and slowly down - but wait for the muscle to relax before I do another one. Its amazing feeling the muscle relax.
In a chair - slide forward and back 10 times
In the chair - leg lifts 5 - waiting on that muscle to relax in between
Stand and walk around the house and finish in the kitchen with 10 tippy toes.

That's it. Usually I'm to do 2x's per day but I'm not to do anything until I see the surgeon and him tomorrow. Its just refreshing having this type of gentle patient centered care.

I saw the surgeon and he is very pleased with where I'm at. The thing he wants me to work on is 10 walks - around the house or driveway, multiple times per say with the walker. He suggested outpatient PT for one month. I didn't want it and explained why. He looked at me like a surgeon can and said "your in charge of your health care & if PT does something you don't want don't do it." Such a typical answer. It's not going to happen.

My PT guy came by and I shared the outpatient conversation with him. He said I have 3 more weeks of home health and lets do that and then reconsider. Which I agree with. But we all know that outpatient PT is numerous reps of multiple exercises. My knee isn't ready so I'm not doing it. No driving for 3 or more weeks and walker all of the time for at least another month.

You are doing well! :happydance:

Stay firm with how you want this recovery to go. I’m so glad your doctor was happy, that takes a lot of stress off us.

Way to take control. Good for you!

Apparently today's the day I'm cranky & on the verge of tears. Pain level is high - guess I'm just a hot mess today. All of the above listed things are very out of character for me. We do have a cold front coming through - I wonder if that's my issue? Whatever it is I don't like it. Enough about that.

:console2::console2:I’m having a similar day. Yes, let’s blame the weather!

Jockette I'm hoping your feeling better. I tried an "experiment" yesterday with medication. I did a hydrocodone and Valium. (The surgeon uses both flexeral and Valium for muscle spasms. I'd been using flexeral and thought I'd change to Valium for my muscles.) The verdict - not really a difference with the muscles except for the very vivid dreams on Valium.

Even though home PT is very gentle I think doing those movements (they are really stretching not hard cope PT) is too much. Too much for my 3 week old baby knee. Think I'll cut everything out except for walking around the house. My knee feels like its in a vice its so tight.

So the game plan today is bed, medicate, elevate & ice. When up do several laps around the house then back to bed. I thought I was going slow enough but apparently not, at least according to the knee.

I think the just walking plan is a good one, it’s what I would do.

My knee has been wonky the last week or so. It’s so frustrating that no surgeon will do a bone scan. I honestly can’t see how my problem is solely caused by a nerve issue. Whatever. It could be a lot worse.

Spring is getting closer every day and soon it will be warm enough to wear shorts outside and my knee will be happier.

I think when our bodies don’t met our expectation there is sadness, grief and a little self anger. Healing takes such a long time. It is not easy to be kind to ourselves, easier to be kind to others. @eaglemom and @Jockette you are good, caring people!

Thanks for the encouragement - recovery is different for each one of us, but each one of us has a bad day or two.

I tangled with the surgeons 'receptionist' this afternoon, she made me so mad I could have spit nails - at her!!! I'm not ready for outpatient PT (and not going to do it, but didn't share that with her.) The home health nurse had called the surgeons office to ask about getting an extension for home health PT. The surgeons receptionist called me and really raked me over the coals on not immediately doing outpatient PT. She had the gall to say "your extension should be good enough for your to drive, why won't you drive to PT? Home PT isn't doing their job." I asked her if she'd seen my chart - because the surgeon said no driving for at least 2 or more weeks. And no I have no one to take me. She quizzed me more & then said she'd show the surgeon this request on Monday for him to deny it. "You have to do outpatient PT." I've never had this kind of **** from this office. I ask her for her insurance numbers - because if I drive and have an accident because of my reaction time it would be on her. She huffed and puffed and said "I'll call with your denial on Monday." I'm not going to get my underroo's in a bunch over it - I'm in charge of what I do and don't do - not some goober whom hasn't seen this is my third revision and requires special circumstances.

If home health is denied I'll do it on my own. With the help of BoneSmart. Geeze............

I think I would have just hung up on her. You don’t have to take that.

I so wanted to hang up on her - but thought I'd give her a dose of grace and be calm about it all. The part where she was telling me exactly how many home health PT's and outpatient PT's is what was pushing my buttons. I know my insurance plan and its unlimited. Come Monday when she calls we'll see where this all ends up.

Home Health PT just left - we don't do much - but I'm progressing and that's all that matters. My knee's special because of all that's been done to it, I know it. I don't fall under the 'normal' where a standard recovery is involved.

Happy healing everyone. Off to the lounge dr and ice.

Did you ask her when she got her MD??? I have worked in doctor's offices for years and her response was very inappropriate. She is a receptionist not the doctor or his nurse. You had the revision on your right knee...the driving leg. Mine was on the left and my OS told me 4-6 weeks no driving, especially if you are still taking pain meds. Your home health PT should be sending reports to the OS and they are the ones normally that request the extension with the reasons why it is needed. In some cases the request will go directly to the insurance company who will contact the OS office if needed.

You handled that know-it-all receptionist much better than an average person would have. I admire you.

You already know my thoughts on PT. I had no one to drive me either, but even if I did, I would not have gone. You have been through this all before and you know what to do and what not to do. You don't have to have someone telling you how.

They saw that unlimited PT insurance coverage you have and want to get as much money out of it as they can. Even if it doesn't go directly back to your OS group, I bet there is some kick back for them.

Stick to your guns, girl and don't let anyone bully you into something you don't want to do!

Guess I'm even more tired than I thought. I sat down on the bed to do a gentle stretch.........the next thing I know my sweet hubby is covering me up. It was 3 1/2 hr later when I woke up.

Phew I feel better but still in the back of my mind I'm wondering about an afternoon nap. So unlike me.

You are healing big time! Enjoy the sleep when you can. Your body heals better when you’re asleep as it doesn’t have to give energy to any activity and can focus its energy on healing.

I sat down on the bed to do a gentle stretch.........the next thing I know my sweet hubby is covering me up. It was 3 1/2 hr later when I woke up.
Now, that's some good sleeping!

Take advantage of those great naps :) It is normal.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom