THR Hit the Ground Runnin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya Im pretty sore today.Mornings are still a little achy but differant kind.Good kind.Peace man.
 
Same here. Late night and first thing in the morning are my achy times. Stairs are still tough going up though.... Can't figure that out because I can do the elliptical with no pains.

You, my friend, keep up the good work! You're doing great!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Yup nights and mornings,still rough.Dude I so wish I had access to an eliptical.Those things are awesome.Its funny though,your right,I remember with my knee thing a point where I could work a sweat on that machine,forward and back yet not be able to step up on a 3 inch block.I dont know.What do I know?I was roofing 6 months after that point.Dang I wish I had one.Thats it Im building one today.(Big smile)Busy as a bee nuttin gettin done.Peace.
 
A day of rest for me today.
[Bonesmart.org] Hit the Ground Runnin'

Started with a little snow. Then sunny and 40 degrees. Just hanging with the kids today.

My son's basketball team ended up in first place and the playoffs start tomorrow. Exciting times!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Congrats on your sons team coming in 1st and making the playoffs.Definately good times for you.Before you know it that little big man will be out in the world.Savor these times.My day of rest today also so I spent an inordinate amount of time hear on bonesmart posting and annoying my fellow bonesmarties.Ha ha,I love it everyone here is so awesome.Lovin life guy.Peace.
 
Today is the day of the marathon I was going to run. Not sure how I am feeling. As a reminder, I didn't even know I had OA until late May this year. I had just finished a half marathon and was looking to complete a full this weekend.

Just thinking what could have been. ;-(



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
There will be other "marathons" I am sure. Right now it's about healing in preparation for what comes next. This time next year I have a feeling things will be very different for you!
 
It is difficult sometimes to readjust our expectations. Have you looked into crossfit? They have varied workouts, so there is less repetitive stress on any one joint. However some of the crossfit exercises can be extreme (crazy), so you might have to accommodate. I know my expectations for what I can do exercise wise has changed drastically from two years ago. I want to preserve my joints. But I did go through a period of despair about the loss. Now I am just hoping to be relatively pain free with daily activity. I guess what I am really saying is that I feel your pain. I think we all get it because the rest of us are there too. I was very active/athletic before all of this started. My husband still is, and it is hard for me to not be able to be equal to his activity level. It is hard for him too. Our athleticism is something we have always shared.
 
There will be other "marathons" I am sure.
Well....I'm hoping/planning/will do a 'marathon' on the elliptical by my 6 month hipaversary.

It is difficult sometimes to readjust our expectations... I want to preserve my joints.
My doc has told me anything goes except for running. I know some of the cross-fit stuff can get pretty intense. I'll stick to weights and cardio and swim for a while.
 
Good Monday mornin' my friend.Now Im just playing devils advocate but whats the hurry to abuse your brand new shiny hips by putting them through a marathon,eliptical,walking,pillow fight?Especially only 6 months out.Im always saying "just because you can doesnt mean you should".Just voicing concern buddy,the last thing we want is a complication.Im already paranoid about wearing my new hips out,Im sure that will pass as its surely not slowing me down.Its your call "hippie chick".Will you be wearing a tu tu?Peace out from the voice of reason.
 
Roof! Thanks for the words! I think I'll be fine by March. Only time will tell. It's not really the hip that worries me, I know it has tons of miles on it. Right now, in still working on the strength of all the supporting muscles and stuff.

I thought I did enough pre-op to counteract the surgery. Maybe I was walking poorly enough for even just those 3 months that I caused some weakening? The worst part is my right glute that refers down towards my knee. I've started wearing a knee brace I used a few years ago for IT band stuff. It is really helping!

Sounds like you are almost ready for the roof again! Keep your feet n the ground a while longer ;-) thanks again!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Kids are back in school after a week off. Still not at work for another two weeks, I think. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks since the THR! Think I will hit the pool today for the first time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Walked 500 meters in the lap pool. Then 10 min in the hot tub! Oh yeah, that felt good ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
PT today. Had a fun workout! She really put it to my glute! Actually it's everything under my glute that needs attention. My PT says all six muscles under the maximus have been underworked for a while and are slowly bouncing back.

Here are the 5 weeks from surgery/ 2 weeks of PT numbers:
  • Internal rotation - 25°
  • External rotation - 50°
  • Flexion - 120°
  • Extension - 25°
  • Abduction - 35°
  • Adduction - 30°
With those numbers, I think I'm pretty happy... :yay:
 
Not quite sure what all those numbers mean...but congrats! I have not been measured yet, but I have definitely lost flexibility. Sounds like you continue to sail onward and upward. What are some of the glute exercises your pt is having you work on?
 
Hey @calicat! I had to look it up too even though my PT said I was doing well. Here's the list of ranges for hip ROM:
Normal Values (in degrees):

Hip flexion (bending) 0-125
Hip extension (straightening) 115-0
Hip hyperextension (straightening beyond normal range) 0-15
Hip abduction (move away from central axis of body) 0-45
Hip adduction (move towards central axis of body) 45-0
Hip lateral rotation (rotation away from center of body) 0-45
Hip medial rotation (rotation towards center of body) 0-45

I'm still gritting my teeth going upstairs most times. It's not all pretty yet. Just grinning and bearing it much like I used to recover after long runs!

I actually carried my 6 year old in from the car last night after she fell asleep on the ride home from her brothers football game!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks so much for that information. I was mega flexible before even with the arthritis. Hopefully I can try and get close to what it was before...but I will have to wait and see. I have pt this morning.
 
Oh boy! Here's a new exercise my PT darling has me doing.... this is not me in the video. My PT darling has me take it al the way out to my ankles, "Don't let your knees bend and don't let your rear end sag!" 3 sets of 10
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom