BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hiptopia!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Calgal, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I felt the same @Calgal
    That wiggly jiggly I'm NOT comfortable any longer feeling.
    Mine was the worst in the car. Felt like torture after about 30-45 mins. Thankfully it gradually eased.
    I didn't think of a cushion. Do you use it while in the car also?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Elf1

Elf1 graduate

Great update @Calgal! Wow, five hours in the garden, no cane or crutch and still feeling good! You're doing fantastic!
    :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Calgal

Calgal senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Layla I originally bought it for my station wagon car to raise up and level out the seat. But it was too wide for the bucket seats. Soooo.... For the early days I used a flatish normal sofa cushion and used my husband's old banger car, but we have now ended up getting another newish car that sits higher and is more comfortable for both me and hubby! So, great things have come out of this hip shebang - a new hot tub and a new car! :thumb:

I would use it in the car if I was in it for long journeys but so far I have kept them short and the new seats are softer as well as my incision is not sore anymore. So it's just brought along to restaurants.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

You sound like you are rocking it! Lovely to read. Enjoy your hot tub and new car. Lucky lady :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Calgal

Calgal senior

Today is 12 weeks to the day. I went out to lunch with neighbour ladies to a local garden centre with a 3 acre open display garden to celebrate. Took my trusty memory foam cushion of course for those ever present iron patio chairs! Major accomplishment was to be able to walk around the whole display gardens with NO crutch! We had a lovely lunch afterwards, avoiding the horrid hungry wasps. Reached my 4000 steps goal before 3pm. :walking:
    No rest after coming home as hubby texted me that he was stuck at the hospital (he had taken a friend there in the morning). So I had to bundle the dog into the back of the car and take him out for his mid day walk, 3 hours late. :dogwalk:Walked around the park, again no crutch. Another 1/2 mile. Whew! Finally relaxing on recliner and planning a takeaway for dinner. Hip behaved fabulously and Im feeling great! Yes there is life after THR!! :yes!:

• Like Like x 5
  6. Layla

Happy Twelve Weeks!
    I LOVE garden centers! The bigger the better. I love the smell of dirt, fertilizer, all of it, lol.
    They are my happy place, especially in the Winter when it's cold outdoors but warm and sunny inside.
    We have a large one about an hour away where you can dine also. I haven't yet, but it's on my bucket list for sure.

Great accomplishment on all of your steps, yesterday! That's awesome. You may want to ice prevenativly if you're just hanging out at home for the rest of the night. Enjoy your takeout and have a great evening!
    @Calgal

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. ceezee

ceezee member

@Calgal You are rocking it! What a great day! What is better than hanging out in a garden center and then a walk with the dog? 12 weeks is magical. But tonight, if you can, ice ice ice!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Way to go. Something to look forward to soon. It is so inspiring to hear about your accomplishments knowing that we have lots to look forward to.And to go to visits gardens cherry on top.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Calgal

Calgal senior

A: Falling asleep after a long day with an adoring dog curled up next to you! :puppysmooze:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  10. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Ha, ha, @Calgal, as a non-dog owner, I think being able to fall asleep spread eagled in my bed by myself (sorry, sweet husband) would be the best. But I am not someone who liked sleeping with children either. At this point, just being able to fall asleep on my side would be a real gift--just not there yet unfortunately. Lunch at the garden center and then take-out food for dinner sounds right up my alley, a good day and a wonderful way to celebrate 12 weeks STRONG after hip replacement surgery! Hurray for you!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Calgal

Calgal senior

Help and advice needed hipster pals. :beg:

Was out last night with one of the neighbor ladies I just had the marvelous garden centre lunch with on Thursday, when I was so jazzed I walked around (I thought well) without a crutch. She mentioned watching me walk reminded her of her father (deceased long ago but a bilateral hippie). I said 'what do you mean? Was I limping?!' and she got all embarrassed and said 'well it's just so hard to walk when we get older.' :yikes: Then she got all embarrassed and said she shouldn't have said anything and changed the subject (we were in a mixed group) but the cat was out of the bag.

I really like and respect her, she's worked for a doctor's office a long time and is in good shape and isn't catty or vicious in any way. But now I'm freaked out. She texted me later after we got home and apologized. She asked if I would like to go with her to a Pilates class on Monday. Said she was sure I could do the floor work and that it might help to stretch my muscles and improve my posture. :boohoo:

So I'm 3 months post-op this coming Thursday. I've been interested in Pilates for a long time. I'm stiff I know but always have been. And I know I've been babying my body for over 8 months. I'm actually scared to push it for fear of undoing my progress so far, but I have the feeling it's time to push a little more. Would Pilates help? Is it too soon? I'm thinking of going back to my PT for an objective assessment of my gait and progress at this point. Or, going for some private 121 Pilates /sports Therapy rehab assessment at a well respected location near me.

The wind has well and truly got knocked out of my sails. :bawl: My husband says I'm doing great but....am I ?

Thankful for any advice or tips from my fellow hipsters who know this path. Experts too - @Layla ? @CricketHip ? Other advisors? Many thanks in advance.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I think this is a great place to start.
    I did this at about 6 months post op and was given some very useful tips as I was told I often reverted back to my preop toewalking habits.
    I made sure that I did any suggested exercises in smaller increments than actually prescribed...if reps seemed to begin to strain muscles, I did less more often.
    Alot of it is habit I think so I reminded myself of the heel to toe protocol often.
    Dont let this discourage you.
    Lots of improvement well past the one year mark.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. linette333

linette333 senior

Oh @Calgal ! You must have been devastated to hear her say that! :sad:
    I know that you say she is not at all catty , but I really cannot condone the way she spoke to you, however well intentioned she might have been. :shrug:
    I am a couple of weeks behind you in this recovery and like you, I know I am very stiff . I realise that this is why I am now having problems with the non-operated side. So I have been to see a physio in the hope that she can help with this as well as improve my gait. She immediately said I was over-compensating on the left side, even though I thought I was standing up straight! I plan to see her a few times and also to pool walk, She gave me a couple of exercises to do and actually frequently mentioned pilates as a way of becoming more supple. So maybe give it a try. I certainly couldn't do it yet because I can't lie on my side yet, but I am sure it will eventually be helpful.
    Please don't let this lady undermine your confidence! You are doing really well!:thumb:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Layla

Happy Saturday!

I have to agree with, linette333. Comparing your stride to that of a man, suggesting your gait has changed because you're "older" making it so hard to walk :heehee: and then proposing Pilates may "improve your posture" all sound like thoughtless and disrespectful comments to me. Especially given you're recovering from a recent major surgery and through your estimation doing well. With that said, you know your friend, we don't, but I don't like her anyway. :rotfl:

I think your idea of going back to your PT for an objective assessment of your gait and progress to this point is a great idea. That way if anything needs tweaking she can advise accordingly. You didn't mention a limp, but if you do have one, even the slightest, concentrate on heel-toe walking. It does take concentration for many of us because it can feel unnatural. A few months into recovery, even though I was no longer limping for the most part, if I was tired, I'd catch myself slightly limping or someone would ask if I was limping. That is why I am wondering if you were slightly limping.

Many return to Pilates and I don't think it's too soon at three months post op. I'd most likely do one of two things...check with the office of your OS to see if they're are any movements / positions they prefer you refrain from, or at the very least let the instructor know you've recently experienced THR so if there are any positions you need to avoid, they can be modified. I'd take it slow listening to my body as my guide.

Chin up, you are doing well. I hope the rest of your weekend is lovely!
    @Calgal

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Calgal

Calgal senior

Thank you @Mojo333 . I do feel that when I'm tired especially I limp. It's so hard to go back to the crutch even in the house, as I feel might be babying it too long, even though my PT was adamant that she wouldn't be the least concerned if I was still using 1 crutch at 3 months if I needed it. Perhaps I tried to wean off from one to zero too fast / too soon for me. Going from 2 to one was so easy but unfortunately from 1 to none has taken longer. And I thought I was ok with that but tried to nudge myself forward. I'm sure I've developed bad habits over the past year of degenerating hip. Will take your advice. Thank you. :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Calgal

Calgal senior

Yes @linette333 I was. I was actually speechless for a moment, not normal for me. And Im not usually so sensitive to other people's opinions. But it caught me off guard.

Good to know. I am able to lay on both sides now, not for hours but long enough to do some exercises I'm sure.

Thanks for your support and good advice. I knew my hippie pals would set me straight. :friends:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Calgal

Calgal senior

@Layla yes it was pretty shocking being told I walk like an old man. She could have suggested the Pilates, or made any other observation in another way, for sure. I am happy to listen to what others observe objectively, as long as it isn't loaded with their expectations.

I've only been walking without a crutch for about a week or so, so I'm not exactly cruising and still really trying to focus on heel/ toe. Thanks for confirming my gut reaction to go back to my PT. She knows me and where I was, and can hopefully make more recommendations for my progress. I will call her Monday.

The Pilates place I found also specializes in post op / accident rehab and are a referral site for many local physiotherapy departments, so I will ask my PT if she thinks referral to this place is a good idea. The Pilates rehab place is private but I don't mind paying. Thanks for the 'ok' that at my timeline Pilates should be okay. I'm sure they will be mindful of post THR issues. But I'm not ready to face any sort of group class, hence the idea to do 3 sessions of private evaluation and guided exercises.

You're all SO helpful and I'm so much calmer after reading your post. Bless you and Bonesmart. :angel:

• Like Like x 4
  18. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Calgal Well now! I'm sorry that happened and burst your bubble. I agree with Mojo that PT needs to be added first, before thinking about Pilates. Pilates is great but wouldn't you rather see someone with heavy training in their field? Maybe Pilates would be good after a few more months?
    Don't be too hard on your friend, if she truly was embarrassed after seeing your reaction I am guessing she thought you knew your gait was limited in some ways.
    I think I'm walking well but when I go through and clear our security cameras I watch any with me on them just to assess my gait and oh my, I have a way to go!
    I hope you can find a PT office where they aren't gun ho and try to "fix you" in one week. If and when I start some PT I will drop one in a heartbeat and continue my search if we aren't on the same page.
    And that page is me feeling great and getting stronger while doing the PT!

You are doing fine, it's only 3 months, right? Hopefully you and she will laugh about this next year. :loveshwr:

But oh my gosh, I'm sorry it even happened.. what a blindside. I am meeting some old friends/co workers later this afternoon, most don't know I had surgery and I dread arriving with my trusty cane! But I will go and hopefully no insensitive comments will be made.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

@Calgal
    Friends...!!!! Sometimes we can do without them . I’m sure she meant well..

I am 5 months post THR but still baby my hip when walking outside & did the same with my first THR... it keeps you walking up straight in my opinion so you don’t put pressure on other joints & gives your new hip time to ‘get there’... and it will... limping means it needs support still...

What’s a matter of 3/4 weeks with a crutch/cane when the rest of your life is ahead!!

Hope you feel more happy now... xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

Oh @Calgal I am sorry your friend was careless in her speech. When we are sensitive anyway even unusual for us things sting. I get the stiffness and am desperate to stretch myself but need to wait until I am told I can but I think if you have been given the all clear stretches will help under guidance. Muscles atrophy quite quickly and they also bounce back equally quickly but they need to be used to get you back onto the straight and narrow as it were.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1