THR hipster333 is in recovery<

It’s hard not to want to be superwoman @hipster333, but do give it a try. We can catch up on house stuff that slides when we are further in recovery. I typically have extended family in for Easter dinner and decided I don’t have energy for getting house ready or being hostess to 15 people. Youngest son is coming over and we are having a quiet time of it.
 
@hipster333 - tears come much easier for me when I’m really tired. I learn the hard way. I push until I hit the wall and then wonder why I’ve hit the wall. :)

Pride can often be of no benefit whatsoever for me other than perhaps cutting off my nose to spite my face. I recall posting about how I went into PT without my cane once (first hip). I was all glowing and smiling and was like “look at me!” while slightly limping. PT frowned and then grumbled “where’s your cane!?!” Totally burst my happy bubble. We need the cane until we have a good gait and can make it through the day without it.

Recovery takes awhile. Unfortunately. Slow and steady and everything will be ok. :flwrysmile:
 
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.
It never hurts until we stop it seems.
Your new hip is priority one!
The cane, even used sparingly, reminds all that you just had a major surgery!
Tired tears were abound at my house after return to work and several months post op, the blues began to creep in.
Take care, triple t.
Let yourself be babied some.:angel:
 
Hi there, hope today looks brighter! :yes: :SUNsmile:

Figure out a way to "Pimp My Cane" :rotfl: Upping the cool factor for the middle-schoolers.
You could make it fun!

Aww, Hipster you're going to be fine. I just know it. You're a little tired and overwhelmed I'll bet
trying to get back into your old routine. It may cause some pit stops into the ODIC but I'm sure with a little
TLC you'll be good as new in no time. You may have to use these first few weekends as a rest and recovery period
from the work week until the energy reserve is more plentiful. Healing hugs to you :console2:
@hipster333
 
Wow--so many posts, I don't want to miss writing anyone back--if I do I'm really sorry! Today was a much better day. Although I woke up still super sore this morning, I grabbed my ice packs and cane and running shoes and headed off to work. @SaraK thank you so much for the tip on putting more pressure on the heel instead of the front. I used my cane every time I walked around at work and walked with more emphasis on my heels. I put some ice on at break time and I listened more to what my body was telling me. When I got home took a couple of ibuprofen and lay down with the ice packs. Feel so much better this time today than I did this time yesterday!@AgilityDog I'm afraid to check out the videos on the surgery itself. I get really squeamish so I think I'm better off staying in the dark on this one. :bolt:@TinyMom and @Mojo333 you were right. No one really cared about the cane and were pretty much expecting it. One of my girlfriends told me off at one point today when she thought I'd forgotten to grab it :heehee:--that's a good friend. :) As for decorating the cane @Layla I think I'll just leave it for now--mine is bright purple and is already in our school colour.--who knew I was trendy already :curtsey:@MammaT good idea on Easter dinner. I'm actually cheating and ordered ours in for this year--I'll leave the traditions until I'm good and recovered. @hikejunkie loved your post about PT. That sounds like something I would do. :heehee: Pride goeth before the fall right? The tears are definitely from pain and exhaustion--trying to get on top of that. I'll try and behave myself. :loll:I figured out that when I work the 5 hour days next week I'll 1) bring my cane 2) wear the better shoes and 3) bring extra ice and store it in the freezer in the staff room and make sure to ice at breaks. I'm also going to shorten my walks. @Debluca :wave:that must be hard being back when everyone depends on you so much. You and I both need to follow everyone's advice here. :yes: @AgilityDog good reminder on putting ourselves first. When I was a mess crying and in pain last night I was no good to anyone.
 
Wow--so many posts, I don't want to miss writing anyone back--if I do I'm really sorry! Today was a much better day. Although I woke up still super sore this morning, I grabbed my ice packs and cane and running shoes and headed off to work. @SaraK thank you so much for the tip on putting more pressure on the heel instead of the front. I used my cane every time I walked around at work and walked with more emphasis on my heels. I put some ice on at break time and I listened more to what my body was telling me. When I got home took a couple of ibuprofen and lay down with the ice packs. Feel so much better this time today than I did this time yesterday!@AgilityDog I'm afraid to check out the videos on the surgery itself. I get really squeamish so I think I'm better off staying in the dark on this one. :bolt:@TinyMom and @Mojo333 you were right. No one really cared about the cane and were pretty much expecting it. One of my girlfriends told me off at one point today when she thought I'd forgotten to grab it :heehee:--that's a good friend. :) As for decorating the cane @Layla I think I'll just leave it for now--mine is bright purple and is already in our school colour.--who knew I was trendy already :curtsey:@MammaT good idea on Easter dinner. I'm actually cheating and ordered ours in for this year--I'll leave the traditions until I'm good and recovered. @hikejunkie loved your post about PT. That sounds like something I would do. :heehee: Pride goeth before the fall right? The tears are definitely from pain and exhaustion--trying to get on top of that. I'll try and behave myself. :loll:I figured out that when I work the 5 hour days next week I'll 1) bring my cane 2) wear the better shoes and 3) bring extra ice and store it in the freezer in the staff room and make sure to ice at breaks. I'm also going to shorten my walks. @Debluca :wave:that must be hard being back when everyone depends on you so much. You and I both need to follow everyone's advice here. :yes: @AgilityDog good reminder on putting ourselves first. When I was a mess crying and in pain last night I was no good to anyone.

@hipster333 thanks for the advice - you are so right about following advice of those who have been there. I keep running into people who tell me they're walking a mile after a week or back to work in 2 but I'm not them. I have a feeling going back after 5 weeks will slow down my recovery but I don't think being home would be helpful either. I went food shopping after work today and carried bags into the house - took forever as I did one by one and was super careful. Have been sitting on recliner ever since with ice and will probably take something stronger tonight to help me sleep. The pain seems "normal" and just muscle related so I'm not too worried but should I be?. Someone mentioned a brand of ice bag I want to get - I'm sure I'm not icing correctly. Not sure what to use while sitting in chair at work but bet it would help. Cane sometimes feels like a "prop" and sometimes my best friend. I can't imagine being in pain after 6 months or a year but that's what some are reporting. One day at a time.... Thanks for sharing your story!
 
@Debluca - I mentioned something from KooCare - wrap with velcro straps and has a hole for the cap of an old-fashioned ice bag (comes with wrap) to stick through. I also sometimes used it with a gel pack. Fairly inexpensive on Amazon.
 
@Debluca - I mentioned something from KooCare - wrap with velcro straps and has a hole for the cap of an old-fashioned ice bag (comes with wrap) to stick through. I also sometimes used it with a gel pack. Fairly inexpensive on Amazon.

Thank you!
 
@Debluca it sounds like we’re both feeling about the same so that actually makes me feel better. Maybe we’re more “normal” than we thought. Not sure how you could be icing incorrectly?? I just put the gel packs in the areas where it hurts. So for my piriformus I’ll put it right over the muscle while I sit in the chair. The groin area is a little more awkward to ice at work. Lol. I know what you mean about the grocery shopping. I had to go yesterday and have to go back tomorrow after work and I’m just dreading it. It takes forever for me to get the bags in the house too and is completely exhausting, especially after working. I have physio tomorrow and he’s going to do ultrasound again—that usually helps quite a bit. Sitting with the tens machine right now which helps too. I took it easier on exercise today and just did 10 min on bike and went for 10 min walk after supper. We’ll see how I feel tomorrow. Keep me posted on how things are going for you. Any ideas you have are appreciated! My cane feels like a prop half the time too, but I know I need it right now with all of these changes my body is going through with the adjustment at work.
 
I am behind you @hipster333 . I just discovered a useful benefit to growing up as the opposite of coordinated and graceful. I am used to being the slowest, with no sense of direction, and the provider of comic relief. I am not in a competition to walk, run, swim, anything, first. This is my normal. More turtle than hare. Those people who are doing fantastic at an early time in their recovery are doing their normal. I am happy for them. They encourage me. You encourage me! The goal is to mend and recover. Arriving at the goal line is winning. The destination I our goal. Blue ribbon. Trophy. Burst the finish line tape. You are doing it. :flwrysmile:
 
Good job @hipster333. Backing off just a bit can help us. Had to do the same yesterday and today is off to a better start. Just have to keep impatience in check and let nature work. I considered just eating out, but since my son loves to cook (and is very good at it), I’ll let him. Plus, he really wants the ham bone and left over ham to make soup beans.

Hope today goes well.
 
Getting in the shower now encouraged by you all that today will be a good one if I do what I'm supposed to! Ordered some better ice packs last night (thanks @SaraK) but will wing it today. Getting hair cut later too which should make me feel a little better! (This posting is a lot easier on a computer than an ipad or phone.) :flwrysmile: Have a wonder-filled spring day wherever you are!
 
Cane sometimes feels like a "prop" and sometimes my best friend.
Great analogy! I get it! I so want to be free of the cane but my body says "not yet". Glad to know I am not alone. When I feel strong, concentrate on walking heel toe...I can walk throughout the house without cane....but TOO much walking without it and my thigh, butt and groin are saying enough! We will get there and ditch the cane....someday, ladies.:dancy:
 
but TOO much walking without it and my thigh, butt and groin are saying enough!
Exactly the same for me. Good you listen to your body as it will DEFINITELY tell us what we can do our should do.
Things will continue to get better.
Up and down journey for sure.
Hope your day is sweet!
 
Just wanted to wish happy Easter/Passover to all of my BoneSmart friends! @AgilityDog i for a one am taking it easy this weekend. I know it’s going to be a hard week going back to regular hours. Piriformus pain seems a bit less and now pain in inner thigh. Ugg. It’s a journey that’s for sure @Mojo333 but we’re getting there. @Bumblebee you’re not alone. Can’t wait to ditch the cane, but don’t want to rush it like I tried to before and be in more pain for it. Around the house I seem to be ok without it again—until I get tired. Have a great day everyone and hope the bunny was good to you. :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom