Guest viewing is limited

THR Hipster Girl Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awww @Hip Hip Hooray! thanks friend :friends:

There are two that I am VERY interested in - the one already is working to get me on their schedule next week but the other that went very well on the phone, I haven't heard back from yet but she did tell me on the phone that the hiring managers were traveling so I think that might be why. I would be very surprised if she doesn't call me back only because of some of the things she said. I took a test drive to their office yesterday and the location could not be more perfect. I would LOVE this commute, if you could even call it that.

The recruiter called me yesterday about a company she wants me to interview with on Monday but I am not really interested in this company. I will go just to see what it's all about, just in case, and it's good interviewing practice, but I already think it won't be the best fit. If it weren't for my 2 target companies calling me, I might be more enthusiastic and open to it. I like the corporate environment and need the big company benefits and like the social aspect of a large office as well, but she keeps wanting to send me to these very small companies. She is calling me and emailing me constantly and it is taking time and attention away from where it really needs to be right now, which is trying to get in with one of my 2 target companies. I don't know how to tell her thanks but no thanks. I'm bad at stuff like that.
 
@Hipster Girl - Good move connecting with that interviewer again on LinkedIn! Sounds like you are getting pulled in a lot of directions, especially with the recruiter who is trying to line you up for companies you aren't particularly interested in. Maybe if it gets too overwhelming with her, you can just reiterate what sort of companies you are looking for at this time and that you wouldn't want to waste anyone's time if you already knew it wasn't right for you? Or do the interviews just for practice and getting more comfortable.. I'm sure you'll know what's best to do. Super good luck with your 2 target companies!

Yes, I'm going back to work on May 17th. I've worked for this company for 2 years now, only part time. I asked for 2 full days only right now. They may start me out with 2 partial days and work up to 2 full, not sure of my schedule yet. They wanted me to do full time but it is so impractical with my daughter and having no family to watch her when I work and she's off school. I pay for daycare and then it really cuts into my take home pay. We also do progress reports and time sheets when we get home so it's really more hours than what's assigned. I work with kids diagnosed with autism (this is sort of my 3rd career....) one-on-one in their homes, mostly under 3 years old, although I do have a 7 year old they are putting me back with. I bring tons of toys for them and motivate them to progress with play and repetition. It's very rewarding, often intense work, but I love it. What I do is called Applied Behavior Analysis. This company helped me to get certified, but I had training with another company before this as well. Sometimes I take on more hours when they need extra help. It is somewhat physical work so I am trying to get back into shape quickly for it - getting up and down from the floor is odd now after this #2 THR. My knee got very tight on that side so it's hard to kneel on the floor like I used to. My hips are fine it's just the side of that knee. Guess it's where the IT band connects?? I didn't have a problem after #1 THR so I thought it'd be no problem after #2 THR - silly me! I'm doing lots of stretching and my range of motion is returning slowly. I have 11 more days to get ready - :yikes: !! I know they have at least one fresh new 2 year old already signed up for me so these knees better bend easily by then!

Exciting stuff for you these days!! Good luck with everything!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Readysetgo, being pulled in many directions is exactly right - I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. The outplacement service through my old company has finally contacted me too and are now finally ready to start me on their program too. So that's just one more thing and it's getting to be too much. I really need to put my primary focus on my target companies. That's where I want to work and I can't let everyone else dictate my schedule. It was getting to the point I was afraid to leave the house because I would come home to frantic emails and phone messages from recruiters that I need to call them NOW, and it was making me feel guilty for even leaving my house! Ridiculous. Nothing will change if I call back in 2 hours or even the next day.

I have to go to the public library today to print off some copies of my resume to take with me on my interviews next week. I have one on Monday morning which I am really just going for the interview practice more than anything. Then Tuesday at 9:30 is my interview with one of my target companies. I hope and pray I ace this one! I am sooooo nervous! I know I am qualified for the job and I have done my homework on the company but I get nervous in an interview because they are basically judging you so it's uncomfortable for me. I just need to find a way to relax and be myself. Easier said than done...

I think you are smart to go back to work on a 2 day schedule. I've done the day care thing and it's so expensive it's like a second mortgage these days! Plus I'm sure you want to be their for your daughter when she is off of school anyway. And it will ease you back into work life after THR. There are a lot of benefits to a 2 day schedule.

I think it's wonderful that you work with autistic children - what a rewarding career. Your warmth comes across in your posts so I'm sure you are wonderful with the children. It takes a lot of patience I am sure, and I can see how the physical component after THR presents a challenge. I'm sure you'll be in tip-top shape in no time. I'm not sure what that could be with the knee although I think that until we regain strength in our legs after THR, it seems to place more strain on our knees - at least that was my experience. Are you icing it?
 
Oh, this sounds just perfect, @Hipster Girl. I really hope you get the one with the ideal commute. It's great that you're driving by there. I think it helps to visualize what you want. It's wonderful that they have been so encouraging. it sounds like a really good fit.

I'm sorry that you're feeling stressed with all of the demanding phone calls. When it rains it pours. A lot of people do things at the last minute now. They expect you to be available at a moment's notice. It's unreasonable.

I have a feeling that pretty soon you are going to receive an excellent offer.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I drove by the one I interview with on Tuesday and I already have my parking space picked out, haha

This week is going to be super busy - I'm exhausted just thinking about it! My interview tomorrow is more for shaking the rust off since I haven't interviewed in so long. I'd rather not go at all but you never know what can happen so it's probably best to explore all options, but my focus is really on Tuesday's interview. The reason I am so nervous is because I want this one so bad, but I hope my enthusiasm comes through instead of my nerves when I interview!

Thanks everyone for your support - prayers for Tuesday's interview would be much appreciated! :praying: I won't be on BoneSmart as much this week with my crazy schedule but will update when I can. :friends:
 
@Hipster Girl - Wow everyone wants a piece of Hipster these days! Job hunting takes so much more energy than just doing a job. Maybe you could just look at your Monday interview as a dress rehearsal for the big Tuesday one? And don't worry about posting. This is a very busy week for you. We'll be thinking of you and sending big positive thoughts.

I actually haven't been icing at all lately. Perhaps I'll try it on the knee and see how it goes. I think I just have to keep stretching it and getting my muscles used to going down to the floor again. Even the PT guy I had that day had difficulty getting to the floor and kneeling the way I do when I work! I am also doing the child's pose in yoga which helps the joints to relax and fold. I couldn't do that pose for a long time before my THR's. It feels so good to be able to do it again!

Best of luck with those interviews! :flwrysmile:
 
@Hipster Girl
I think I mentioned in a previous post how I ended up hiring the woman who said, "I don't know why, but I want this job so bad" (as her poor little hands were shaking with nervousness). I really wanted to hire one of the other women I had interviewed, but didn't have the heart to tell her she didn't get the job. She worked for me for many years and hiring her was the best decision I could have ever made. Of course I have a very sensitive heart and not all people have this type of personality. Just thought I'd mention it. Sending prayers for your job interviews next week! Hugs!
 
@Cynthia777 I remember you mentioning that story once before about how that hiring happened and how it worked out great for both of you in the end - that is such a neat story - thank you for reminding of that!

@Readysetgo sounds like you are on target with your knee and stretching it until you get used to getting back down to the floor again. I bet it will come with time and you are smart to listen to your body. I had to chuckle that the PT guy can't even get down into that position :snork:

How right you are that job hunting takes so much more energy than actually working!! I am utterly drained and my house is a wreck! A thorough job search these days involves not only putting in applications but tailoring your resume to each job, also networking, working with a recruiter, and researching the company on social media. I am mentally spent and feel like I can't fit one more thing in my brain :snork:

My interviews went well (I think)....thanks so much to everyone for your prayers and positive thoughts and encouragement! It really helps to have my BS buddies supporting me through this.:yes:

My interview on Monday went well but I don't see it as a fit - it's a very tiny office - 3-5 employees in the office most days. I'm more of a corporate or big office girl because I love the social interaction at work and I don't get that with such a tiny office. I used the interview as practice to shake the rust off since I haven't interviewed in forever.

I was really looking forward to the one yesterday at a big company and I think it went very well. I met with the recruiter first, then interviewed separately with 3 different people. It took about 2 hours. I sent a thank you email when I got home and I received a reply email last night from the HR Director that she "thoroughly enjoyed our time together" and to "stay tuned for the next steps soon". I am interpreting that as a good likelihood I will get called back for the next round of interviews next week! :yes!:

Meanwhile, I am not leaving any stone unturned so I am still scheduled to attend an all-day career transition workshop on Friday, am following up with my outplacement "coach", and also made a follow-up phone call with another company I had a phone interview with last week. Things seem to be coming along and I might actually be working sooner than later. Part of me wants to say "hey ,can we pump the brakes a little here....I need some time off", haha
 
Update: I just received a reply email to my follow-up voice mail at the other big company. They haven't forgotten me but are waiting on the hiring manager to determine availability for first round interviews and they said they hope to let me know by the end of the day when they can schedule me. In the meantime, they sent me their benefits information for me to look over. They have NICE benefits! :)
 
Wow! That's so exciting, @Hipster Girl. It sounds like things are really moving forward. You are doing so well. The fact that they gave you the benefits package to look over sounds really encouraging. That's great that they offer such good benefits. Keep up the excellent work, and take care.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! the good benefits is another reason I prefer a big company - I am admittedly spoiled with the benefits I had at my previous employer and I am trying to find something similar. In addition to medical, dental, matching 401K, etc, the company I interviewed with has casual dress everyday :yes!: and they have 1/2 day Fridays every week from Memorial Day thru Labor Day, and then again from Thanksgiving thru Christmas - how nice is that! Very nice extra perks like that which don't the company a dime, are really great for employee morale.

@Cynthia777 and @DeepBreath thank you both so much for all your support! @DeepBreath I have been taking plenty of 'deep breaths' as I go thru this. :wink: This has been an exhausting process but I think I will be working soon. I receive job alerts in my email and I received an alert that the company I interviewed with now has another similar opening in another department. When I scheduled my next round interview for next Friday, I mentioned it to the recruiter and told her that one appeals to me as well, and I would like to be considered for that one as well if this one doesn't work out. She said she will make note of that and she is the recruiter for both positions, so I feel even better that now that they have met me and I have "passed" their initial screening, I might be considered a good candidate for the other position as well. Plan B, just in case...

I am ever mindful of how blessed I am to have these hips done and dusted, with the surgeries and recoveries behind me for both hips. I can't fathom where I would be today looking for a job hobbling around in agony like I was last year. Just walking these big buildings when I'm escorted from one office to another, I would not have been able to do that last year without grimacing in pain, and no interviewer would want to see that.

And I certainly wouldn't have been able to start a new job and then ask to take 12 weeks off to have hip surgery. I know God foresaw what was going to happen at my previous company with the relocation and isn't it amazing how He worked the timing out just perfectly with my hips, knowing I would be looking for work. I am trusting He is going to get me exactly where He wants me. :praying: :yes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We are blessed indeed! I've often felt dismayed for those members who have time limits getting back to work. An additional worry that definitely is not needed! I can't imagine having such pressure during the recovery process.
 
@Hipster Girl ~ I've been following your story since I came on board here and just have to say ~ I AM SO PROUD OF YOU !!! You are a great example to those 'hippies' coming behind you. And you are so right....there was a plan...and you followed it....perfectly. ~ How fun to have the possibility of TWO openings at the company of your choice.....with the initial groundwork already completed. It all sounds so right. Positive thoughts coming your way.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Wow! The perks sound excellent. Those types of extras make a huge difference. I know what you mean about hobbling around and grimacing. I felt the same way. It's such a relief to be walking normally and feeling healthy.

It's great that your recruiter is in charge of the second position, too. You've got your bases covered. It helps so much when they know you and want to hire you. I'm excited to hear how things work out with your work. Everything seems to be falling into place. You deserve it!
 
@Nana2-8 you are too kind! Thank you - I appreciate that more than you know! :flwrysmile:

@Cynthia777 I couldn't agree more. The recovery process can't be rushed. I was very fortunate to be able to go back to work after THR when I was at a point it was safe to do so, and not before. I can't imagine having to rush the process and return to work based on a pre-determined timeline rather than when the hips were ready.

@Hip Hip Hooray! you're so right that the extras make a huge difference. You know, I have to say though, that when I was interviewing the other day, one of the interviewers led me over to a lounge type area with soft, low couches. Of course she had no idea I had THR, and I remember thinking to myself there is no way I could have gotten down onto those couches to sit down last year either. It's actually probably not a great idea to do it now either but I wasn't going to tell her I had had hip surgery, but I was so grateful I looked like everybody else and no one was the wiser about my recent hip procedures.

I am still waiting for first round interviews with a company I did the phone interview with last week. She asked me to let her know if things started approaching final stages with any other company so that she could hopefully speed up her process with the hiring manager if necessary. So I emailed her this morning and apologized if I was appearing to rush her but reminded her of what she had told me, and let her know I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to interview with her company, since the other one is moving along pretty rapidly. She was very kind in her reply and said not to worry and to reach out to her anytime and said she would contact the hiring manager to see if they could speed things along and get a timeframe for next steps. They seem to be dragging their feet a little bit and hopefully I can get in to meet with them next week.:)
 
That's great, @Hipster Girl. It's such a good feeling when you have more than one company interested in you. I think what you told her was perfect. I'm glad the other one is moving along rapidly. I love reading your follow ups and hearing the feedback. The timing with your hips sounds excellent. It is such a relief to have the surgery in the past. I'm so glad that you were able to sit on the low couches. I remember those days pre surgery...
 
My big interview is this morning at 10:30AM - so nervous but also excited! I will be meeting with the hiring manager who would be my boss. I'm not sure how many of us were asked to come back for this round of interviews but I am thinking probably no more than 3 of us, so the odds are getting better....I just pray that my jitters are under control and that I come across as confident and enthusiastic and a good fit, and that I articulate well and not get tongue-tied or stumble over my words. If I do that, I think it should go well. :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom