Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with everyone else @DrToonz ring your surgeon and get some advice!!! Itchy and hot...not good!!!! Especially on top of BTHR

Just wanting to agree with you that BS offered the first REAL info on our surgeries and I feel blessed to have stumbled onto it and recommend it like crazy.

Hang tight and ring your surgeon xxx
 
@DrToonz ...had to play catch up yet again and have read what you have been thru...goodness it is time for good things to come your way. I know you feel like you are keeping the whole thing light hearted but it is a grand help to me to read all that you are going thru. The unknown creates fear and you help to make the unknown a known to those of us who are still pre-op as do so many of the other graduated hippies on the forum. Sounds like for the most part you are doing really well and for that I am thankful for you!! Will continue to keep sending positive healing thoughts your way..

Gentle hugs
Donna
 
Got through the day with no oxycontin. Waited for next dose time and got my oxycodone (reduced from 3 pills to 2 because I'm doing pretty well today). No rash. No hot flash. Weird.
I'm going to continue through tonight with the same regimen and see what happens. If I have further reactions I'll get with OS and see what else can be done. Vicodin I already KNOW I'm allergic to.

I think for the most part I AM doing pretty good. I've been in good spirits, my light-heartedness is genuine and I'm happy to document my adventure for others (and for me).

A good thing: Stool softener kicked in today. 'nuff said about that.

Spent a bunch of time in my big ol' lift-recliner-chair today testing it for tomorrow's Big Game. I think it'll work!

I've been doing some exercises that the PT told me about. Her suggestion was that any STRENGTH training, I don't need it yet, that's WAAYYY later. She want's MOVEMENT. She also wants a little bit of but-cheek-clenching to strenghten the muscles back there and the usual point-and-pull the toes in order to keep the blood flowing in the legs.

The walker is a WAAYYY easier experience today than prior which reinforces all the "incremental improvements will happen" prognosis, which while you're hurting like crazy and laying in bed seem completely unattainable. I must have walked 90 feet today (15 foot each way for 30 foot round trips about 3 times spread out all over the day)!
I think that's an improvement and not TOO MUCH because I want to listen to the "don't overdo it" mantra as much as I can. Especially in this first 2 weeks.

Oh, and I've been icing religiously and almost constantly. I'd say 70% of the day I have ice on the upper thigh/hip aria.

That's tonight's update. I'm tired. I'll probably type something more when I'm wide awake as my meds alarm goes off at 1:30-4:30 am.

G'night all.

I remain optimistic!
 
I wrote this earlier and on a different thread earlier. Doesn't quite fit here, but it's information that I thought I'd write it here as well.

I have now participated in my own scientific study and verified a long-held theory.
I tested the bonesmart assertion that everyone should take thier pain-killers by the clock.
It is true.
I tried NOT doing it and was quite unhappy.
You dont have to test this. I've done it for you.
You're welcome.
;)
 
@DrToonz . what an ordeal. as you said, not life threatening, but still hard. hope the super bowl takes your mind off your situation for a few hours. part of your scientific experiment regime. it would make a good half-time ad.....
hope the day goes well
 
@DrToonz - yes cutting down on any meds at this point is not the BoneSmart recommended way to do things. Thanks for testing but please feel free not to test further! When you start forgetting doses - you can start to cut down.
 
@DrToonz Been away for a couple of days and what mischief you have got up to!! I've read your thread and alternated from grinning , belly laughing and going 'oh no'.... Whatever next..? Scary with the allergies, great pic of paramedics...that made me laugh too..taking photos whilst suffering...thanks for the entertainment...haven't had to resort to the telly in hours. Seriously, glad that you are getting the small benefits that come with time...and do keep on posting....waiting for the next instalment...it's better than Grays Anatomy..LOL ,! Take it easy ...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
My regimen:

I'm not sure if I've ever said what I'm taking for drugs, but I have:
325?mg Aspirin 1x a day
Stool softener 1x a day
1000mg Ibuprofen 4x a day
1000mg Acetaminophen 4x a day
Oxycodone 5mg-15mg (between 1 and 3 pills) every 3-4 hours.

I stagger the aspirin/acetaminophen about 1/2 to 1 hour away from the others (not told to, just something I read once saying that ibuprofen can diminish efficacy of aspirin if taken together). I'm not religious about this.

Icing almost constantly (second half of the sleep night is no ice 'cause it warms up and I don't renew until 6am or so).

So...The pain is generally completely tolerable. Not non-existent, but OK. I can get up and walk (baby steps with walker) pretty efficiently and with pain, but not trouble pain. I try to be consistent about having ice after walking.

Sleeping last night was trouble. I think the oxycodone (it could be something else or just my body being weird) gives me hallucination-type dreams. Really vivid conversations with people and not a lot of super-restful sleep. Sometimes the sleep's OK and sometimes it's not. The restlessness is exacerbated GREATLY by my sleep position. Flat on the mattress/ normal pillow under the head/ Pillows under the calves/feet to elevate them. Ice on each

I'm currently setting my alarm so that I wake up and take Oxycodone every 3.5 hours. Last night when I was awakened by the alarm each time (1130pm / 3am / 630am), I was feeling a bit woozy and unrested. Instead of taking 3, I took 2 and at 6:30 I took just 1. I didn't seem to suffer any additional pain, so I'm going to jump down to 1 oxycodone every 3.3 hours at this point and guage if that's helping me be less woozy (nauseous is not quite it, but a little dizzy maybe? lightheaded?).

I still "Point & Pull" my toes a LOT (whenever I think about it) and I do the butt-squeeze too. That's my 'exercise' routine.

This morning getting up and walking (walker-shuffling) from bedroom to lift-chair in living room (about 40 feet?) was SLIGHTLY more annoying / painful than yesterday. Not bad, just not quite as good.

For this reason, I'll do what I can to minimize "over-doing" it today. Although it's pretty hard to feel good about using the term "over-doing it" when describing a day of having my every whim catered to by loving caretakers, my feet elevated in a big ol' cushy reclining la-z-boy, a latte in my hand, my computer on my lap, beverages on my side table, the Super Bowl upcoming on TV, someone else doing the dishes and housekeeping for me, and (gasp!) HAVING TO SHUFFLE-WALK FORTY FEET!!

O. M. G. !!

I'll update as anything changes or if I get bored and want to tell you about my luxurious collection of stretchy-comfy-old-guy-pretty-much-never-wanna-wear-anything-else-ever-again pajama pants.

Or if I have new pictures of hot paramedics (geez, the ladies were all over THAT episode, huh, guys?). (let's hope no more paramedics at my house unless they're coming over for coffee or something, K?

Me ---> :mcoffee:
 
Yeah 3 oxycodone sounds like a lot to me - unless you really need it. I was prescribed 1-2 every 4 hours, but only took one. Along with 1000 of tylenol and 325 aspirin (for blood thinning) and stool softener. After a couple of weeks, I was changed to hydrocodone (Vicodin) which I know you have problems with but the step-down was perfect for me.
 
BTW: I understand that I said I'd be taking pain meds "by the clock" and then later that I had altered the dosage. I'm not sure that these are mutually exclusive ideas, but on the surface they seem to be dichotomous. I still take them regularly, but at diminished doses. My last diminished doses (630am and 930am) do not seem to have affected my pain.

Have you ever heard the term "Analysis Paralysis"? :)
 
Jo even wrote a thread about it: Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
Great set of information. The most helpful to me immediately is to "not let it get to me" and to "allow myself to nap whenever I want". I do not do that enough. I now will.
 
There are some studies reporting that NSAIDs will impact the anti clotting benefits of aspirin if taken at the same time. Most of the studies involved low dose aspirin but it is prudent to stagger the aspirin and ibuprofen.

Your pain meds are more than I took and I did have some discomfort stopping them - not for the pain but rather the withdrawal symptoms. Go slow when weaning off the meds.
 
Sounds like you have a nice routine for today! Enjoy the game. I have already gotten my nap in. Hubby is folding clothes (I washed and folded first load) leftover pizza for dinner. Then back to PT tomorrow...go Hawks!
 
Go slow when weaning off the meds
Yeah, I'm going to run with just one Oxycodone each 4 hour period from here out unless it just doesn't work. I'm not having any problem with the withdrawals (that I'm aware of) yet. I still have my ibuprofen and acetaminophen which by some accounts may be enough.
My newly-adopted but not yet tried out thoroughly attitude is that I'll be doing multiple naps during the day and not trying to force, or worrying about, sleeping all night long.

@Freaky freak . I'm heading off for my nap right now. See if I can get a good hour in before kickoff.

I remain optimistic.

Go 'Hawks!
 
@DrToonz .......Ah, what a wonderful sense of humor, I hope to find mine again! Keep up the posts, taking as many notes of the pre-ops and post-ops advice that I can jot down for my days ahead. Does your walker have wheels? I have a walker without, but have heard pros and cons as to wheels vs. no wheels.......Looking into a hospital bed tomorrow and potty chair. I had the most vivid dream this afternoon that my daughter and her girl-friend, (16), all in pig tails were cleaning the house top to bottom........then I woke up to reality!!! LOL
 
@put2pasture I hated my hospital bed. Was glad to get out of the thing! But others may have diff experiences. I get up and spend the day in my trusty old recliner rocker/love seat. I am just stubborn I guess, with no restrictions I wanted to sleep in my own bed, however restless it was, beside my snoring husband. It provided a sense of normalcy.
 
@Freaky freak .....I just worry about trying to get up on my bed as I have issues right now. I haven't been able to enjoy a couch, chair or recliner in a long time, so hard to get up and down out of anything right now. I am just trying to think of what may be the easiest. We bought a new mattress and box spring the first of December, hoping that would help with the pain, but it did not, it actually feels better when I can get on the floor and put my legs up in a chair, if that makes any sense, but the getting up and down from the floor is a youtube moment! I have had an inversion table that I have used for the past 2 years and that is even a killer now, I do just balance on it and it feels good since I have no weight on me. I am not petite, 5'10, 180 and have had issues moving around for a while now, especially getting up and down to the potty, I have never loved a handicap toilet or rails so much in my life!!! When faced with a regular toilet I experience panic attacks whether I can get down, then once down, will I be able to get back up! I noticed your walker had wheels, is that what they suggested? Wheels or no wheels...
 
I think the oxycodone (it could be something else or just my body being weird) gives me hallucination-type dreams.]

The narcotics do affect dreams. Tramadol has a pronounced impact on the vividness of my dreams. This has been widely reported.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No that is just what I had and hubby added the tennis balls to the back. The important thing is get the height right so you aren't hunched over it. I have not had the issues you do, so please choose what will give you the most relief! Praying this ends for you in the near future!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom