Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DrToonz, what an experience! Your ability to invoke humor into this difficult journey is so wonderful. Loved the pic and the green socks too! Hoping today is easier than yesterday (it just has to be)!!!
 
Hi Dr Toonz - I have been recovering from tkr but so enjoy your thread!!! You are so hilarious and actually an excellent writer. You vividly are able to describe what is happening and that is a gift!I thought I was seeing things when you posted a picture of the paramedics. It is so good to document everything that is happening during recovery. I just read my thread from the past eight weeks and honestly did not remember a lot of what happened or how I felt at certain points. I will keep tuning in to see how you are doing and wish you a speedy recovery. Thank you for sharing!
 
Oh my friend @DrToonz it seems you are having all the fun hehe. I had a red rash after taking the oxy but it never amounted to much so just ignored it. Glad you are ok now. Keep the posts coming. @jenb I can't believe they did not control your pain with anything less. Now I am passing the Wonder Woman torch over to you! Slept ALL night last night for the first time. Yawn! Boy it felt good,
 
wow, that was a bit of drama! Glad it wasn't worse. So if you can't take Oxycontin, does that mean no oxycodone either? That's what I had at first along with tylenol too. @jenb - surprised you were not given anything at this level - no wonder you had so much pain!
 
Oxy this and Oxy that. I told the hospital that I thought that at one point someone hadmentioned that oxycontin was a distant cousin of oxycodone. I got a few reactions from people. Some pointed out that they were the SAME drug, but that oxyCONTIN was a time-release version. The logic in the statement being that the oxyCODONE was not bothering me, so the oxyCONTIN won't either.
Another nurse, when I asked the question (she was the one discharging me and handing me the prescriptions), told me the same kind of thing, but said she'd look into it. She left and came back and scratched it off the list of drugs for me.
Later (see a previous post) a nurse from the hospital called with a standard "how are ya" call. When I described my spiking pain levels, she asked about drugs and then why I didn't have the oxyCONTIN. I explained. She refuted with the "same drug" explanation as above.
So we got the prescription (also detailed in a previous post).
So ... I still don't know the what or why. I just know I'm not taking oxyCONTIN any more.

And @Freaky freak : Look at you! Ten days out and you're rocking the whole night's sleep! Nice! I can only dream (and then only in like 1-hour dreams). Maybe I'll do that on ...Feb 7!
 
@DrToonz you will get there. I see it in your future. My next goal is to sleep on my side again, but that is going to a while. Today's goal is to get a shower and do a little light laundry. I really need a laundry basket on wheels so I can push it in front of my walker LOL
 
@Freaky freak - throwing this into Toonz' thread since I'm sure everyone thinks about this - at six weeks, I got permission to sleep on my sides (my doctor wanted me to wait, he's very conservative I think) and I now can do it and it's nice! Operated side (I had anterio-lateral - on the side) I have to roll a little past the incision and it works, other side is now comfortable on both legs. Funny thing is I never tried to roll for almost six weeks and then the urge to do so became almost irresistible and I did cheat the last two days before six week checkup... Sleeping is better than before surgery now - no pain trying to lie on my back and straighten my leg, no muscle spasms in the leg, and no pain in my hip when I'm on either side... so its coming!
 
Gosh... oh my! What meds are you able to take now @DrToonz ?? How scary but your response is a good lesson to us all. I've had a similar reaction, was young and stupid and just watched as my face doubled in size like Will Smith in the movie where he eats shell fish so seriously, glad you are feeling better.. sleep will come soon. You are so upbeat it's great to see your positive attitude on here in spite of adversity!
 
Ok got my today goals out of the way: shower and load of towels in to wash, so now a reward (nap). Hubby is off to play with youngest son for a few hours so movie on (Dolphin Tale) and stretched out in my chair, furbuddies have settled down so will be checking the insides of my eyelids before long hehe...
 
Toonz, oh my! on the paramedics.... But they were cute guys!!
How funny you took a pic of them. I bet it made their day.
:heehee:
You are doing great. Love your documented posts.
 
Yep, everything goes right over my head. Still don't know what a furbuddy is.

Wild and crazy story about OxyContin. Dr Toonz you deserve a break. Some really good luck will be coming your way soon. When I had my first hip done I had a male nurse who was the epitome of the joint replacement center. He had had bilateral hips done like you and would show off how he was able to bend and stoop. He insisted that I be given a prescription for Robaxin. I told him I wouldn't need it as I already had flexeril ( these are muscle relaxants) at home. But he insisted and my doctor agreed. Took the drug a few times and couldn't figure out why I was itching all the time in my oxycodone haze. Finally it dawned on me that I was having a mildly allergic reaction.

Crutches are great. They are a little tricky to use at first, but work much better on stairs than walkers. I had (and still have) a boss who was highly motivated to get me back to work. She came to my house the third day after surgery and said, "you look great! When are you coming back to work?" So I went back to work at the beginning of the third week with crutches and a cooler full of ice packs. Of course my husband had to drive me and I would only stay about five hours. I started out with two, then used one and then finally my cane. I went cane free when I no longer had a limp (about twelve weeks out).

Keep up your marathon walks to the bathroom, but of course reward yourself with rest, ice and elevation afterwards. Slow and steady wins the race.

Loads of positive energy coming your way!
 
Oh sorry toonz guess you figured out my 4 legged friends that refuse to leave my side. They are mini doxies(well maybe not so mini at 16 and18 lbs). I thought when my kids grew up I could go pee by myself, then we got them lol.
 
@DrToonz Wow I am so glad you are OK! Blessings to DW and the cute paramedics who came to check you over! That is scary to have a medication reaction.

When I had my hips done it was also winter time and not really great weather for outside walks .... so I did "laps" back and forth across my big living room/dining room area - 25 short stumbly steps in each direction. LOL about the time of my hip surgery one of our folks here posted a short video of himself doing the same kind of thing - though a circuit through kitchen and hall and living room - with his two dogs faithfully keeping pace with him through every lap.

@Healthyhip12 furbuddies = purramedics (cats), dogtors (dogs), and/or any other cute, furred or feathered, cuddly companion animal :) They make wonderful pre- and post-op "nurses" and most are delighted to come warm a lap or just hang out and keep you company. Don't think I could have gotten through my surgeries with out the help of my two Maine Coon cats (see avatar picture)

@Freaky freak heehee I know what you mean about being accompanied to the bathroom - and my two cats are about the same size as your doxies - one is 21lbs and the other is 18lbs. Neither one of them can stand to be on the wrong side of a closed door!
 
@Jozilla : Your words are too kind. Thanks. :)

Thanks to everyone who thinks my words are funny I just try to keep this difficult adventure lighthearted. It is WAY too easy to be 'down' about it. I was pretty down before the surgery so I know how that can be. The surgery gave me an optimism that I somehow, even after being told about it a hundred times, just didn't FEEL.

I like to write blog style. Just sayin' what I see. It's relaxing to me and it serves a few purposes (in no order):
1. It kills time. boy does it kill some time. And time is something I have a bunch of right now!
2. It enlightens SOMEONE. When I first went searching for information on this surgery, which I knew to be part of my future (I thought years later, but here I am), I had a hard time finding anyone giving REAL information. There were the standard PAMPHLET-style information sites, there were sites by prosthetic manufacturers, there were descriptions of the procedures, the meds, the timeline, the diagnoses, etc, etc, etc. but there weren't any REAL people that I found telling you what REALLY happens. Until I found BoneSmart. Then I found that, while ALL helpful, the anecdotes which gave real, personal, detailed information were the best. I can't point to a specific one, but there are many. People telling stories about just putting their socks on. I mean, you can describe that it's a problem in one sentence, but here there are PAGES of testimonials. I needed it, so I pass it on.
3. It's MY therapy. I get to, like @Jozilla said, documenting is good. I go back and read 'em. I learn more and remember more and get back into the way I felt at the time. It's good.

I'll keep going. As a matter of fact, I have some new news!
 
Ah...furbuddies....thank goodness for mine. He is asleep beside me as I type!!!!!:puppysmooze:

@DrToonz keep posting ...you are an inspiration and wealth of knowledges to others
 
So I just realized that after a terrible night of what felt like OVERmedication (oxycodone over oxycontin, etc), and a couple doses of Benadryl to try to squash the rash, it's coming back. And growing. This is happening RIGHT NOW. I don't feel like it's life-threatening stuff, but it makes me wonder if it is just the oxycodone now or if maybe the reaction was just delayed or something and now it's going to be going on for...who KNOWS how long.
UGH!
I don't know whether to contact the doctor (not because it's life-threatening) to see if he has an alternative drug for me? Or if it's just residual oxycontin giving me problems. or I'll have to begin taking benadryl with all the while I'm taking oxy-anything.
This is REALLY frustrating because it's just UNCOMFORTABLE. It's one thing to manage the surgical site pain and another to sleep and rest. But how to sleep and rest while itchy and hot????
I think my latest dose of oxycodone is kicking in. It may be nap time.
 
Don't know the formula of the drugs but if it happens after oxycodone - maybe you need a substitute - I would at least let the doctor know
 
@DrToonz I'd say yes call your doctor and ask about different/ better medications for you!! There are many other options besides the Oxys. Perhaps @Josephine or @Jaycey will know of other possibilities you can ask your doctor about. I took Vicodan before and after - and did fine with that for pain control but that's just me.
 
I don't care for any of these medications. They are much too heavy for my liking.
Here in the UK the tendency is to just use codeine and paracetamol (Tylenol) for hips and Tramadol and paracetamol for knees. Works well for almost everyone.

If the oxycodone and/or oxycontin is giving you a rash, then get it changed. Pronto! If your surgeon won't oblige then see your GP/PCP.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom