Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DrToonz Can you reprogram the thermostat to a more congenial setting? Or close off the vent in your recuperation room? Or barricade the dog in some how so he doesn't come greet you in the middle of the night? Before my BTHR I slept on my couch for nearly a year cuz it was too painful to climb up and down stairs to my bedroom - and no bathroom on that level. After the surgery I rented a hospital bed for about 3 months and it did help alot! My cousin had that set up in the main floor front room with drapes firmly closed over the picture window ( neighbors really did not need to see that kind of a show). The rental was not all that bad - $75/month and the company set it up and took it down. It really made elevating legs very easy and comfortable. Plus it was adjusted to just the right height for me to get in and out of bed easily even having had BTHR. Also if you have them you might try crutches instead of walker - I found crutches to be much easier and found I stood up straight using them rather than hunching over using the walker.
 
Toonz..your posts are so uplifting:) you are doing amazing ... 2 hips...???? I am scared to death to do one.. you are an inspiration!!!
 
@Dr.Toonz, thanks for sharing your story - and like others have said, in such an uplifting and inspiring way! Wishing you continued good healing!! You're doing great & give me hope :)
 
@djklaugh : Thermostat's fixed (just dialed down the vent in this room). The dog is now barricaded. (it looks like the last stand at a zombie apocalypse in the hall near my room with a bookcase and a couple other things blocking the way so he can't come in).

We considered renting a hospital bed. We just thought that this bed would work JUST FINE. Well...until you have TRIED a hospital bed and all its amenities, you don't really know what you're missing!

The crutches idea sounds interesting too. My walker is JUST wide enough that it brushes my incisions when my fat butt is in it. This makes me walk behind it more than in it. Seems like a BAD idea. We're already looking into a wider one.

@hipster_chic : I'm trying to keep the reading interesting but not mask the horrors too much. Life is already funny, you just have to tell people about the funny stuff. Portraying the bad stuff realistically without seeming like you're just trying to be scary seems much more difficult.
 
Keep trucking @DrToonz - for less than a week you are doing fantastically - keep the posts coming x
 
Just finally got my ocycontin. The DW had to fight traffic for a couple hours to fetch the prescription because the goddam junkies have ruined just getting your scrip's when you need 'em for everyone. Grrr... Do I seem angry? I am.

OK...I think my mom's DONE helping me out. She means well, she tries her best but I'm in pain and I verbally nip at her for NOT POOFING MY PILLOWS RIGHT or for MOVING STUFF WHERE I CANNOT REACH IT. She's scheduled to hang with my most all day tomorrow. I'll hit the reset button tonight and see if I can be nicer.

So I "walked" (see earlier description which includes such words as excruciating, grunting, shuffling, painful and terrible) from my bedroom to my big recliner today to see if it's comfortable to sit in it. This "Walk" was about 40 feet each way on hardwood floors with my too-small walker and my no-slip hospital-issue socks. This time I had pajama pants on. As @djklaugh said: my "...neighbors really did not need to see that kind of a show" (although the pain, along with my recent stint at the hospital, HAS made me think that Modesty and Humility are for OTHER people.
My "walk" culminated in a recline in a pretty comfortable chair. The Big Goal of the test was to see if it's going to work as my Super Bowl chair. With modification, it will. I'll need to build up the foot rest to bring the feet a little higher for the requisite elevation to the level "above the heart".
Cool.
Go 'Hawks.
Laying back down was the same arduous exercise as last time. Ugh.
As I got settled, I took Tylenol, Oxycontin, Oxycodone, a Stool Softener, some Vitamin Water and some FANTASTIC stew that the DW made for me (did I mention she can cook?).
This particular Bonesmart Diatribe is brought to you by the gap between "just ate" and "just gonna sleep". As soon as The Oxy's rear their beautiful unicorn heads, I'm going to go to Oz for a while.
Thanks for all the encouragement. It makes my (right now? Hmm....6?) pain seem slightly less painful.
DrToonz
 
I hear you @DrToonz. Pain is so debilitating and energy draining. I literally slept for 6 weeks solid when I got home from 11 days in hospital, 5 in ICU fighting for my life and 1 day in HDU... I love the way you end your posts by remaining optimistic.. a positive mind helps a lot... slow and steady my good friend x
 
Too bad the walker isn't right - maybe crutches would work better. But if the walker is right, you will not be bent over it, it will be at your sides and you will be standing straight. Hopefully you can find one that fits! Funny but I had to have a "junior" size - made for children I guess and it was very comfortable to use.
 
Dr. !!! Great to hear all
Is going well! I know that wish for a hospital bed! I slept in the recliner! I missed the slant of the bed and the assurance of staff. Felt alone at first and like a fish out of water! I hope the pain is managed well and that your recovery continues to progress! Congrats!
 
OK...So remember when I (and you have to have read a little bit ago to one of my posts) said that I could possibly be allergic to Oxycontin?
[Bonesmart.org] Hippy Toonz

Well, after my DW spent half the day driving all over the place to secure a prescription to this ultra-controlled substance, I followed my doctor's (Physician's Assistant) orders and took one.
About an hour later I met these nice paramedics.
I'm fine now, but it turns out I do indeed have a mild reaction to Oxycontin. A red rash, some hot flashing, a lot of clamminess, some blood pressure raising and a bit of GENERAL PANIC.
After I took all my drugs, I felt a faint lump in my throat. Not a big thing, just SOMETHING. And since I had recently taken my very first dose of Oxycontin, I was hyper aware of the goings on of my body in order to know if something was up.
I called the DW into the room: "Do I look clammy to you?"
She said yes, saw a reddening patch on my upper arm and i just said: "Call 911".
She and I work for a school district so we are both first-aid certified every couple years.
If ANYTHING stuck with me in that training it's "You! Call 911!".
They were here with amazing speed.
Talked to me a bunch, checked vitals, told me I was probably fine, and because it's been a while and it's not getting WORSE that they're pretty convinced there won't by any life-threatening reactions going on.
While they're here, I called the Physician's Assistant on call and asked if he concurred. He did.
He told me to take some benadryl and call it good.
I did. Now I'm struggling to complete this post before drifting uncontrollably to sleep.

No more Oxycontin for me!
 
Oh my gosh, what a way to find out you are allergic to a particular drug.. Great DW, great sense of calm, great paramedics... Sleep now..
 
Sleep well @DrToonz. That is the best for you right now. I stepped down from oxicotin to oxicodone yesterday. Seems to be working well. I have just a few of the stronger left for bedtime.

Wow @ drtoonz & freakyfreak you 2 are on much stronger pain meds than me & I had posterior bilateral. No wonder I suffered so much. Grrrrrr......
 
Hey Dr. Hang in there it's gonna get better my friend. I to have to set reset bottom on my brother every now and then. I'm glad your getting better and not worse. You had a double hip replacement man so it's gonna be a little ruff on you. But it seems like your getting better day by day . Be optimistic my friend the Summer is yours.
 
Holy moly @DrToonz it just gets better and better in your thread!!!!! He he he

So sorry to hear about your reaction....thank goodness your ok

I can't believe you thought to take a photo....you are a scream!!!!

Stay out of trouble and recuperate.....ok?????
 
Yeah, they were a bit surprised with the photo. My wife and I take photos of TONS of stuff. The good, the bad and the ugly.
@jebrig31 Thanks for the well wishes! Summer WILL be mine!!
@Vetgirl You just can't make this stuff up! hehe. I will TRY to stay out of trouble.
@jenb I don't think I'd want less than I've got. Not sure how you do that.
@Poppet that's the second time I've found a drug that way. Not a whole lot of other ways to find them short of just going in and saying : "get me a bunch of drugs, I want to see which give me a rash/ kill me". hehe :)
@dkirk0530 Hopefully I won't feel the need for a hospital bed for long!
Night all...I'm only up typing because my MEDS alarm went off. Back to bed!
 
Good morning @DrToonz - so sorry to hear about your med reaction but have to tell you how the "You! Call 911" made me smile. For those who have never seen the CPR class videos please don't think I'm making light of 911- for those who have taken the CPR classes, you know how often those words are repeated & I guess the repetition works because we all remember them. Anyway, I'm happy for the good outcome.
Ps - great pic, love the socks - can't wait to get mine in April.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom