Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are doing quite well @DrToonz - I love reading your posts.. slow and steady progress every day!
 
@DrToonz ...hoping you got some good rest last night. I really enjoy reading your posts in fact I look forward to them. It makes things a little more bearable for me knowing that my time is very soon. This might sound a little crazy but I am actually looking forward to the surgery, considering that my doctor and you guys on here say that the surgical pain is nowhere near the bone on bone pain. Anxiously awaiting your next post to see how your night went. I spent the night at the hospital with my hubby and attempted to sleep in one of the recliners they provide, although not too successfully. But we got good news, he is being discharged this morning. SO we are trying to get ready to get out of here and get home. Hope you have a good day!!

Donna
 
the surgical pain is nowhere near the bone on bone pain
Hi, @mystikfairy61:
Nice of you to say you enjoy the posts. Thanks. That is very kind and it's one of the things that keeps my fingers typing. :)

I think I need to clarify something FROM MY PERSPECTIVE ALONE about the surgical pain being nowhere near the bone on bone pain.
There is something to that. I, however, might disagree with a certain aspect of that assertion. This surgery is a big deal. I am happy I did it because I Remain Optimistic due the testimonials of people here, my doctor's summation, the general success rate of this type of surgery. I'm happy I did it because I THINK it will be better, not because it already IS better.
I am not, at this moment, 6 days post op, in less pain that prior to surgery. It's different. In some ways it's worse. In some ways it's better.
It's manageable with drugs, relaxation, chair/bed time, ice, etc. But it's not a walk in the park. It's also not terrible.
My point is that since there are a lot of people out there cheering you on and giving you testimonials of how great the outcome is, those people are UNIQUE individuals with UNIQUE problems, solutions, histories, scenarios and pain tolerance levels.
When I first stood up after surgery (the following day in the am) it was VERY difficult to GET standing. It was very difficult to stand and I had numb pieces of both legs, pain pretty much everywhere from my lower abdomen to my knees and I was NOT stable at all. I can tell you that the pain that I felt standing in the same position PRE-surgery was GONE. So yes, the bone on bone stuff is GONE INSTANTLY. But it is replace by a whole lotta other stuff.

What keeps me Remaining Optimistic is that I see this as an APEX to the problem. I started with no pain, then I had a little, then two years later I had a LOT and then I had surgery. Now I have a LOT but I can, because of the general success rate of this surgery and what everyone who's done it says, assume that from here it just gets BETTER.
I must say that this last 6 days has been more difficult than ANY 6-day period BEFORE surgery. More trying, more difficult, more painful, more dependent on others. But it also represents, and actually is, a new beginning which can be seen (at points when you're not feeling sorry for yourself..oh, yes that WILL happen, and probably already has) with an optimistic attitude and a future-is-bright optimism.
Just don't ask me that when I'm having a drug reaction or can't reach my reading glasses or have to pee or my entire body hurts from laying on JUST my back while trying to sleep.

Hey, Donna, my new awesome friend and fellow hippie: this is going to have a happy ending. Just don't assume that it's not really, really, REALLY difficult at first and for a while.

DrToonz (not a real doctor)
 
It certainly is not as advertised. But it does get better with time as it should. Yesterday was a good day for me overall, although I did nothing which probably why I has a good day.
 
@DrToonz ...I completely understand that there will be pain after the surgery, and that this is MAJOR surgery. But as you and many others have said it is manageable, and I can say that no matter what I do the bone on bone pain isn't. It helps to know there are people like you and the other new hippies that take their time to help cheer on others. I don't think I ever really expected it to be a walk in the park, cause a walk in the park is nice, and major surgery isn't ( LOL sorry had to throw that in). I read all the posts and know that unlike the bone on bone pain that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. But reading and understanding is nowhere near experiencing which is where you are now, and I still have 2 weeks to be where you are. I don't think anyone that hasn't had this type of surgery could possibly begin to understand what it entails and how it feels. That is the reason I am so thankful for you and others like you for helping make the time as I attempt to mentally prepare for this surgery just a little easier and less stressful. Also your lightheartedness helps more than you realize. It is a pleasure to read your posts because of your wit and humor, making what could be a bad situation a little more bearable, I hope both for you as well as others you have the pleasure of reading what you are dealing with. Please feel sure that I do truly understand the depth of the process that is ahead of me in the coming weeks. I hope I can retain my sense of humor and positive attitude as you have during your recovery. Thanks for taking the time to respond to what I said. I hope you have a good day and that each day brings small victories as you move thru your recovery.

Gentle hugs
Donna
 
Some highlights from the last couple days:

As you know, I've been attempting to minimize the Oxycodone (Oxy) that I've been eating.
I take them every 3.5 hours or so. Somewhere between 1 and 3 pills.
I reduced it to 1 yesterday because I was sick of the dizzyness when I turn my head quickly and the drugged feeling.
I changed my mind in the middle of the night last night. I'm back to 2.

This is really hard.

YESTERDAY:
My beloved Seahawks kicked some Bronco booty (as you all know unless you live under a rock), so because of that it HAD to be a good day (and yes, I'm a long time fan and not just a 'this year' bandwagoner. - That seems to trouble some people. Not me. I say LOVE THE HAWKS I don't care if it's just for this year or whatever).
On top of that, I won a quarter in the pool at the party! (I didn't get to GO to the party but it's right across the street so I had a little stream of revelers stopping by to see me). $25 is $25!

I had a bad night last night. Just like the night before. It was a whole lot of NOT sleeping and a whole lot of somewhere between slightly painful and not so painful. It was with my 3:30AM dose of oxy that I upped it from the 1 I was taking to 2. That was a good choice, but it didn't really fix the sleeping problem.
Sleeping flat on a bed with elevated feet and not being able to turn over is annoying.
It's ANNOYING.
Have I mentioned that it's ANNOYING???
So after upping that dose and since I had to pee, I thought that I'd move my sorry butt out to The Big Chair and try to get comfortable there. Now I understand that I'm SUPPOSED to call the DW down from upstairs and have her help me, but I really wanted her to be able to get her sleep.
So I went for it.
I slowly sat myself up using my foot-lifting straps (Do you all have these things? Essentially it's like truck tie-down strap or seat-belt material looped at the end to tuck your foot into so that you can use your arms to pull your feet up and drag those (cement) legs over the edge of the bed in order to sit up) and waited a few seconds to be sure that my equilibrium was up to the task (I do this every time I stand up after lying down).
Everything's cool.
Then I started realizing that I needed to bring STUFF with me if I was going to stay in The Big Chair for any length of time. I'd need me MEDS, my GRABBER, my WATER, my GLASSES, my PHONE (emergency calls), my EAR PLUGS (I sleep with them, noise or not) and my WALKER (which I'd need to get there of course).

I have not yet got one of those little tie-on pouches which is used to strap to the walker to carry stuff around with you. So...I rigged it. I grabbed my within-reach watchman cap and filled it with all the STUFF. I then put the grabber through the top of the walker and pinched the hat closed with it. This particular grabber has a feature allowing you to 'lock' it closed. I locked it on the hat. It worked! I was able to stand, shuffle-walk to the bathroom and all the way to the chair and unpack the STUFF and sit.
Now I realized I had no pillows for my feet. No elevation. My recliner allows me to recline to a place somewhat less than flat. My feet, WITH pillows under the calves, are about even in height with my heart. WithOUT, they're too low. So I realize that behind me there are a couple throw pillows on the couch. With my grabber, i can JUST reach 'em. I grab 'em and spend the next 15 minutes (doesn't SOUND like a lot of time, but YOU spend 15 whole minutes leaning forward in a recliner, tugging, pushing and wiggling couch pillows under your cement calves!) trying to get them into place for a bit of height. It worked. Kind of. I got a couple inches up.

Have I mentioned that The Grabber is THE ESSENTIAL TOOL?

So, with all my accouterments in order, I get to try to sleep a bit. I do. For like 3 hours straight!! Yay!!

When the DW wakes up at something like 7:30 she's understandably annoyed with me and chastises me for moving without a 'spotter' and for not letting her know. I'm supposed to text her phone when I take meds in the night and if I do anything out of the ordinary. She's right. I'm wrong. I won't do it again.

I think I've decided now that I'm going to live in The Big Chair from now on. The bed sucks.

Since I have not had any swelling issues and I'm really good about icing I think it'll be a good idea to try to be COMFORTABLE.

You know, this isn't easy!!

I remain optimistic.
 
Oh Toonz I can so relate to your midnight excursion! The cap was a great idea and I'm glad it worked for you. The other thing that works is pockets - I wore flannel pj bottoms with good deep pockets and sweatshirts that also had pockets and would load all pockets up for trips around the house. Worked well for everything except cups of coffee. But a travel mug worked well to solve that little problem. A small back pack also would work.

And you are absolutely correct - the post surgery part is hard work, painful, frustrating, and exhausting!! It seems to go on and on and on ............... it does end though and your Positive Attitude, Optimism and Humor will see you through this annoying and difficult period.

Other truisms - Grabbers are essential equipment! I had several stashed around the house. Also a good back scratcher helps - not just for reaching irritating itches but to scoop up things .... like that grabber that's fallen on the floor. One time I dropped both crutches, then dropped the grabber, and the only thing I could reach was the back scratcher which worked just fine to elevate each crutch enough so I could reach it - and it picked up the grabber just fine too :)

- medications may manage pain but most do have other side effects that are annoying - like dizziness, constipation, dry mouth, etc.

- everything takes much more time, effort, ingenuity, and forethought than it use to.

- being awake when you wish you were asleep is par for the course!

- sleeping on your back is ANNOYING!

- Family and friends are also essential - as are diverting activities like watching the Hawks trounce the Ponies ;) YEAH Hawks!!!

Blessings to you and your DW - you really are doing well no matter how annoying, exhausting, painful it all may seem.
 
@DrToonz (not a real doctor apparently :-)) I love reading your posts thank you. I'm hoping for THR in July when I can afford to take the time off work. Just wanted to say - the pain in my hips, running right down my legs, keeps me awake a large part of most nights, pain meds or not. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you weren't the same before your op. maybe it will help to remember that ? And to know that now at least you are on an upward path and not a downward one. Enjoy the recliner !
 
@DrToonz I just had to reply and tell you how awesome your posts are. I hope that you will find each new day less painful. I am scheduled for TRHP on April 30th. So many insperational stories on here including yours!! I have already decided that my recliner will be my bed, as I am not a back sleeper. Wishing you good health....:flwrysmile:
 
Comfort is key these days!
Quite, Quite. I'm loving it. However...
I have already decided that my recliner will be my bed, as I am not a back sleeper
Thanks for the kind words! Very nice. :)
Please note how your recliner reclines. Are your knees higher than your heart? Is your shin level or angled down? Are your hips in a "V" in the middle of the recliner (does it recline flat out)? Note how all this is and ASK YOUR DOCTOR if it's OK to use the recliner as the primary place to be. I say this because mine was concerned with those questions. Apparently it's a post-op blood-clot risk item. Just ask him/her.
One time I dropped both crutches, then dropped the grabber, and the only thing I could reach was the back scratcher
This is hilarious. I can see you hobbling down the hall and bumping a heat register and dropping the crutch. You look up and down the hall to see who is close by to grab it for you and in your absence of mind you drop the other one. Then, frustrated, you wince at the idea that you're 'stuck'. But no! You've got the GRABBER! OK, so now, you can just ...CRASH... AAAAHHHHGGGHHH!!!. another heavy sigh... then the thoughts....can I BEND that far? Can I use my toe to FLIP one of these things up to my hand?
And then the epiphany: BACK SCRATCHER! You may have spent a few minutes trying to hook the grabber, but BY GAWD you got it!
And the trip down the hall continues.
Other truisms -
All helpful for those who haven't been here yet, and helpful to remind those of us who are that this is normal stuff.
the pain in my hips, running right down my legs, keeps me awake a large part of most nights, pain meds or not. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you weren't the same before your op
I was. Pain was almost 100% of the time. Standing, sitting, walking, moving, lying down, sleeping, whatever. The right move was a 9 or 10 on the "how's your pain" scale and sitting in my comfy chair was a 0.5 but it was ALWAYS there. Sleeping was the same. I could find a position that was relatively painless, but then I'd fall asleep, move into a position that wasn't so painless and wake up in excruciating pain. Bleh. THAT's not gonna happen again!
no need to be ascetic about this.
I agree totally. There is always this nagging thing in the back of my brain -- I guess from an entire life of KNOWING that NARCOTICS ARE EVIL -- that says that NARCOTICS ARE EVIL and you should always do what you can to minimize the use of them or avoid them altogether. Rationally, I want to take the drugs as needed. the "As Needed" is the only subjective thing and it keeps me guessing. I think maybe I've found the magic dose though.

Thanks for ALL the input, everyone.

This bus is still moving down the road and even though it's got a driver who smells of tequila and seats stained from years of neglected chicken feces bumping down Bolivia's Death Road at this point, I'm sure that with a whole lot of construction (with the requisite flaggers, traffic, road rage, potholes, heavy equipment and diesel exhaust) it'll be a chauffeured, cruise-control, top-down Audi A-9 trip down a fresh autobahn in Germany.

I Remain Optimistic.
 
@DrToonz ....I so had to just make a short comment, love the analogy of the recovery bus, had me ROFL, LOL, and all the other computer jargon that says I laughed til I cried!!! I really needed that to lighten my day, and as always, you deliver!!! Hope you have a good nights rest tonight my friend!!

Hugs
Donna
 
@DrToonz ............Are you sure you are not a comedian?!?! Your thread started out making me say "HOLY S#@!", this just went south, especially if DrToonz is crashing. Your daily words are something I am looking forward to at the end of my day, the sense of humor well at least that wasn't lost in the surgery. My OS has an opening 2 weeks earlier, I am just in shock as whether to say okay or no lets leave it as it is! I honestly don't know if I can get everything in order by the 21st of Feb., although I am so ready to get out of this pain and I guess trade it for a new temporary pain. I so appreciate the honesty of good and bad days/moments. I am hoping for a somewhat drugged haze to get me from point A to point B, (maybe a bumpy ride down the Alcan before it was paved), I am hoping for no allergic reactions, something that will mask the worse of the pain and/or knock me out for a few hours at a time to escape the minutes that I am sure will tick by in super slow motion. I am so used to going full force all my life until this, so being dependent on people is going to break me down, I know I will probably do stupid stuff just to prove I am not "dependent", I am a survivor that is for sure! I can't stand laying around, even now it drives me crazy.........keep the posts coming!
 
@DrToonz ....I so had to just make a short comment, love the analogy of the recovery bus, had me ROFL, LOL, and all the other computer jargon that says I laughed til I cried!!! I really needed that to lighten my day, and as always, you deliver!!! Hope you have a good nights rest tonight my friend!!

Hugs
Donna
@mystikfairy61 .............You took the words right out of my mouth! I hope you and I can carry on like he does when we become "hippies"!
 
@put2pasture I totally agree, he is a real card!! @DrToonz you just keep doing what you do, getting better, staying positive and bringing the sense of humor to the forum to keep us pre-ops from going crazy, LOL!! Look forward as always to your posts!!

Donna
 
Hey, guys:

I had my first night in The Big Chair instead of going through the night in the bed again. It seems considerably better, but requires a little more work. It's hard to, by myself, install the pillows under my feet that are required to get the elevation right. This means I need to wake the DW. She says she wants me to, but I don't like it and I feel bad. I thought about going with the 'hospital bed urinal' method of peeing in the night (I canNOT make it more than about 4 hours without peeing. Never have, never will.). That's going to be tough just because of the positioning. It's STILL better than that goddam bed. Ugh. Not sure why the huge difference because in the big chair I'm still on my back, but my head/shoulders are slightly more elevated, the legs are slightly less elevated. It's just more comfortable.

I DID implement the "sleep whenever you want and don't worry about being up in the middle of the night" thing. In other words, I napped a couple times during the day yesterday and overnight when I woke at about 4am and felt awake, I just turned on the tv and surfed for a few and that's OK (rather than being frustrated with not being able to sleep). For this specific episode, it's just an attitude deal.

My meds regimen is working. 2 pills oxycodone every 3.5-4 hours. Plus ibuprofen, acetamenophin, stool softener, aspirin and ICE, ICE, ICE.

My current concern / question: Moving: Do it or don't?
I have a hard time with reconciling "move now and then" and "don't overdo it".
I pretty much get up only to pee. Occasional hygiene stuff. Rarely anything else. This means I'm out of The Big Chair about 4-5 times a day to walker-shuffle-walk (which is, I'm happy to report, becoming a "walker-walk-walk".) to the bathroom which is about 40feet each way.
When I stand up it feels stiff and mildly painful, but after a few steps (1/2 way there) it's loosened up a bit and gives me a tiny little "hey...this is improving" feeling. Then the rest of the way to pee and then back and then into The Big Chair and back to my reclined position to await the next Nature's Call.

OOOOHhhh.... positive interruption! My mom, who is here in the place of my DW whilst she works half-days, just brought me a plate of veggies surrounding a little ramakin of homemade crab and artichoke dip. Garlicky-delicious. Oh, yes!....snacktime! (am I spoiled?)

OK, back to business...
I don't exactly recall if they really said a specific NUMBER of times that I should roust myself each day or the specific amount of TIME I should spend walker-shuffling or the amount of STEPS i should take. I do remember being told to move, but not overdo it.
HOW DO I JUDGE HOW MUCH TO MOVE AND HOW TO NOT OVERDO IT? Must I overdo it in order to understand what the overdo limit is? It's a quandary worthy of the best philosophers.

So that's today's question. What's YOUR experience?

--nothing funny happened to me in the last 18 hours or so. darn.--

I remain optimistic.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom