Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wrapped up second short PT session.
I didnt realuze thay PT meant "Painful Therapy".
Like yesterday, I stood for a short time the started getting fuzzy. Laid back down.
Two more of these scheduled for TODAY. YIKES!

Therapist assures me this is normal and I needn't worry.

I need a nap.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OK...
Third PT hour just now.
Scooted (painful and VERY arduous) my feet of the bed with help of leg-lifter strap, gruntingly sat up. Relaxed a minute and then stood up. Hurt pretty bad. Held myself up with Walker handrails and then slowly SLOWLY took baby steps for about 4 feet. (Yes just 4 feet).
Then, once again, I felt the hot flash which is the precurser to a low-blood-pressure fainting. I let PT knowv what was up (she said yes, you've started getting pale) amd shevdirected me to back up my 4 beet of baby steps and get back to the bed to sit and then lay down.
Not what she wanted, but a tiny bit further from last time.
They say I need a bit more hydration, some electrolytes, some iron and some TIME.
THIS IS A complain I CANNOT LIE. I remain optimistic, however, and I have Bonesmart people to thank for this not being entirely a mystery.
Thanks all!
(Geez...now I need another nap)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Hang in there, @DrToonz ! One step at a time. You are doing great! Get your rest, sounds like you will be needing it. You can do this. So proud of you for even being able to get online to talk about how you are doing. That's a victory in itself! Rest and keep up the good work.
 
Sit up, eat a bit and try again. It is not what they advertise. I am not sorry I had them both done at once but it is a marathon, not a sprint! Luckily I never dealt with the light headed ness. Are they checking your blood sugar and augmenting with insulin before getting you up?
 
Man your moving and trying your best with two new hips. I just pray I do as good with one . Chill out homie and take it easy. I can tell your gonna do fine. Mines tomorrow!!!!!! Nervous nervous but Gods on my side !!!!!!
 
@javajunkie: resting shortly. Reviewing The Mantra.

@Freaky freak: Just ate. Trying again shortly.
Interesting note about blood sugar. I have my kit. I'll test it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
OK blood sugar not incredibly high but slightly. I just ate recently and its 156. That doesn't seem worthy of intervention. I'll mention it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Nope you are right. They were caking mine and I have never been diagnosed but they were supplimenting.
 
But they will get you there and you will be up soon. Make sure they give you plenty go pain meds. Now is not the macho time. Ok I will quit preaching now lol...take care to all who are newly post op.
 
Just requested additional pain meds.
Nurse says "Oh, yeah. often worse on day 2".
Ugh.
Got me some sleep meds and another oxycodone to go with the two I got earlier.
I was doing some weaning but, as I read but foolishly ignored, I need the pain meds!
Even if it doesn't sound like it here, I remain optimistic.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
By the way...What would make me have to pee every half hour but just 100-200ml? I have been drinking a lot of liquids (but no IV now) but the FREQUENCY of tiny pees is alarming!
One nurse suggested maybe something to do with the now-removed catheter.
Hmmmmmmmmm ???
Anyone else deal with this??

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
MY BP was very low the day after surgery - and they kept asking, didn't I feel dizzy or lightheaded or anything? I did not. My normal BP is fairly low but this was really low. Finally they gave me a big bolus of IV fluids and it was up and stayed there...

I think catheters can cause irritation that makes you pee more often. And I noticed for a week after surgery, I peed a LOT - not sure why.

Remember you had TWO of what I had. Has to be harder - you made some progress, it WILL get better!
 
I'm writing so much of my experience partly for my own sanity by mostly because I found that for me some of the detailed accounts of people's experiences were VERY helpful to my mentally preparing myself for this.
Tonight ain't easy I'll tell ya!
@charmed-life : glad to hear in not alone. (Even though I AM alone in my hospital bed this very moment.
What an adventure.
I remain optimistic.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I also peed frequently and that is why the male urinal was my best friend for the first week or two. I think the pain meds cause extra urine production. Normally the body slows the production of urine at night but the narcotics seemed to disrupt that cycle. My catheter was removed in the recovery room after I filled a urinal with one liter of golden liquid. I used a male urinal for my night in the hospital and at home (actually 4 urinals next to my bed at home). I normally have a problem in this area because of my enlarged prostate but the surgery brought it to a new level. My most uncomfortable night was either day 2 or 3 (can't remember) at home. Things rapidly got better.
 
@AlanInAZ : That makes me feel better. Thanks. It's really quite amazing isn't it!?

"Things rapidly got better." --> YAY!!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Yes, welcome to the other side. Take the meds, sleep when you need keep us all posted
 
"Take the meds" - yeah. Not messing with THAT again.
2 hours ago I was hurting really bad and went back to"full doses" in order to try to sleep.
It worked.
2 solid hours of awesome sleep (I was just now awakened by my nurse for some vital signs).
Nighty night! Let's see if I can sleep til 4am and the next vitals check.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Glad you got the catheter out, they wouldn't take mine out till my bowels moved (2days with an enema as last resort). Did you have a GA or an epidural?
Keep going with the diary, it helps you and it's an inspiration for those coming in to this. Boy does it help! :)
 
Oh those night time vitals checks - uck! I was SOOOOO glad to get home and not get woken up multiple times just to see if I was alive and had pulse and temperature ;) With my shoulder replacement I was even more eager to go home as I had a roommate from H**L! She whined, she wailed, she moaned, she refused to follow doctor's orders, she rang for the nurse every 10 minutes (and the call bell rang in the room in addition to at the nurses station and would not shut up until nurse came and turned it off) ....... Thankfully that time I was only in hospital for 2 nights.

I also was light headed and dizzy after my BTHR - doctor and nurses decided I was "a quart low" in the blood department - had not needed a transfusion during surgery but I guess I lost more blood than they thought - so they filled up the tank ( :rotfl: ) And I felt much better after that.

It really does get better! Right now I bet each leg feels like it weighs about 100lbs - and each is swollen, stiff, sore beyond just the incision area, and feels like they were transplanted onto you from some weird alien. But did you notice when you stood up that the arthritis pain is gone? THAT is what makes it all worth while cuz that feeling stays with you ... and the rest does go away!

As for the frequency - in addition to irritation from the catheter and the side effects of the medications - when tissue is traumatized as it is during surgery the body responds by making more padding to protect the injured area - also known as swelling which is extra fluid in the tissues around the surgical site and all down the legs too. And as things heal and the swelling goes down the fluid has to go some place - like out through the urinary tract. This too shall pass :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom