Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
welcome. so brave to do them both and to update us so soon. yes, I agree. too much pain. hope it's improved today and that you get some rest. now you're on the road to recovery..yay.
 
@jebrig3164 tomorrow! Hey, keep me posted and let me know how you're doing.
I had a really hard time for 24-hours or so prior. Just kind of freaking out. Now that it's over I'm just trying to stay optimistic.
:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't the easy ride advertised but it is doing well enough not to complain. PT again the morning so trying to get up and at it. Pulled back on pain meds yesterday was NOT the thing to do. Lesson learned. Slow and easy on this one, buddy, slow and easy...
 
Hematocrit blood draw this morning (it's 5:40am here).
Had a good night with good deep sleep for a couple hours at a time, a couple times. I feel pretty rested.
When I asked a nurse to reposition my legs for comfort, I realize that the pain, although consideably bad, is better than yesterday. Here's to that becoming a trend.
I do have an annoying need to pee every freakin' hour or two though. I hope that will subside now that I'm off the IV fluids (drinking water is working just fine).
Maybe I'll read a little.
Feeling (Thank you again, oxycodone) good. Not that there's no pain, 'cause OH BOY THERE IS, but the psyche is good and I'm not overwhelmed by the pain (again, as long as I'm getting the meds!)
 
Every day gets better..... But you are sounding incredibly coherent.... Well done you..... Slow, slow and steady....two new hips.... Amazing!!!!!! Great to read your posts..... The tribute to your wife was do touching.... Good on you!!!! I've been married 43 years and my hubby has been the best. How lucky are we??? Take care...Chrissie xxxx
 
Great posting getting them both done at one time. My surgeon wouldn't do them both do to my weight.
 
@jebrig3164 : I was concerned about the weight thing as well. I'm 275 (35# up from august due to a new no-moving lifestyle). Dr. Didn't seem worried.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for telling us the real deal. I always wonder just how much pain there really will be.....
I am glad it is at least 'under control' for you. Hugs
 
The pain thing is undeniable. It is also, however, manageable.


Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
I'm curious, @DrToonz - were you given painkillers before going into surgery. My doctor gives a mixture of some painkillers so that you are already controlled better when you wake up. I felt no pain when I woke up - in fact (in my unknowing pain med haze) happily told the doctor that "now NOTHING hurts!". Getting up the first time was hard - hard to move my leg and of course that did hurt some - but standing did not hurt and I was fine. Of course it did hurt later - the one thing I didn't like in my hospital is they waited for you to ask for pain meds at first - not sure why because later I was put on a schedule and that worked far better. One night the pain got away from me and it took longer to get it to go away because of that. I know if I had to do it again, I'd ask for pre-op pain meds and immediately to be on a schedule...
 
I got a low-dose cocktail including some pain killers before going in.
When I woke I had primarily a burning sensation at both hips.
Shortly [dilaudid] taken care of.
Sore was the next sensation (REALLY, REALLY sore). That lasted a couple hours.
Eventually figured out that, for me, 10-to-15 mgs Oxycodone every 4 hours works to allow me to sleep and function pretty well.
As I said earlier, standing was a failed attempt. Ill try again today ay 10am.
Numbness makes it difficukt too. It seems to be subsiding but last time attempting to stand was tough because it felt like parts of my legs were missing.
Anyway.... Today should be a while lot of relaxing and 3 bits of short PT.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
Yes, I agree, standing with legs still numb would not work well! And with a bilateral, I can't quite imagine it either. But sounds like your are doing well in dealing with it. Have been thinking about you and Ellen since yesterday - hoping she is improving too.
 
@jebrig3164 : happy to.
Nap time now I think.
I will say that ICE is your friend. Mine melted in the night and the pain went up pretty substantially. I'm on it now!

I'm off the iv fluids now. Also off the IV anti inflammatory.
Now I get aspirin, oxycodone, a stool softener pill (I know this is upcoming and I don't look forward to constipation or just the act of getting out of bed! ).
I'm also done with the iV antibiotics. Ok. Gonna see if I cam get some zzz's in before PT at 10:00am.
BTW: bring earplugs to the hospital. SOOO nice!!!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hippy Toonz
 
Wishing you the best on your journey to a full recovery. Sounds like you are off to a great start! Good luck w/ your PT.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom