Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are going great guns @DrToonz to think you are pedalling so far so early on is inspiring
 
Good deal. I have made it through hump day. Tired and getting a head cold. Man am I stuffed up!
 
Went out and about yesterday just to get out of the house with a friend. I may have overdone it.
I was fine until I woke up and then I have some ...not really pain... annoyance? in the upper left thigh at the top of my leg way down inside there.
It could be from sleeping funny too, however, because I did find myself waking up on my side (done before, but unusual).
I'll just have to try to be kind of mellow today.
 
WOW! I've fallen behind in my BS reading but was so happy to catch up and see you are doing so well. Your humor and determination are inspiring.
 
@DrToonz, same thing happened to me at the same time!! I got quite excited yesterday, out to Walmart with my daughter and grandson (wayyyy too long!!) and then a long meeting last evening. I ended up not icing at all yesterday, first time. That was a mistake. I'm now icing and elevating and not going to be so active today. Feel better soon.
 
I too had a very busy day-on Tuesday. It was my first day of PT. Then lunch with father-in-law. Then 45 minutes icing and rest at home. Then out again for my first drive in my little car all by myself, to buy some new walking shoes. While out I also bought some things for the grandgirls. Suffice it to say: it took hours of slow walking, which I have called 'museum walking'. I felt really good and all the familiar pain was gone. 'Museum walking' pace has been out of the question for me for so many years now, I was thrilled that I was able to do it on Tuesday. However,... I was pooped when I got home. Then I had a very bad night's sleep. The day must have been too exciting for me as I have not had this much excitement in three weeks. Hence the sleeplessness. The sleeplessness [this word looks cool with all the e's and s's] was not due to any pain. I have been doing good in that regard and only taking one Tylenol [325mgs] every six hours. It must have been the dreaded 'energy drain' that is being talked about on BS. I was totally exhausted yesterday and only did my PT exercises and only walked for 20 minutes. Last night I slept well.
This experience has taught me that I should not rush going back to work, even though I feel great. The reason I feel great is because I have not been overdoing it - much. But when I do I pay for it.
Beware of the energey drain Smarties!
 
Ah, @Briggieride, beware the overdoing! Too much exercise (and museum walking IS exercise) and you could develop tendonitis which is painful and takes a long time to resolve. However, it is wonderful that you are feeling so good and getting around so well 3 weeks post op.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
@DrToonz Decided to do some catch up reading and wanted to say Way To Go on getting to the gym!!! I am investing in a recumbent bike next week but won't be using it until I get the OK from my PT. He already has me using either no aid, or cane or walker at my discretion, he said to base it on common sense and pain, and that if I felt like trying something new to go ahead and let those 2 things guide me as well. I have gotten brave and have slept for short periods of time on my non op side with a pillow for support. Went to Walmart with hubby today and used cane to get inside store and then rode the cart so as not to overdo the walking at only 9 days post-op. Where were you time wise when you started using the bike? As always love reading your posts and now feeling that in some way that I am sharing the experience now that I am post op as well Thanks for being you and doing what you do best!!
 
@DrToonz - this is an extract from my article on the healing timeframes.. you are doing so very well. It is exciting when we feel new and more energetic it is hard some times to remember - Slow and steady :)

Remodeling phase (3 weeks - years):
The body transforms and replaces the collagen that was placed down during the proliferative phase into a stronger collagen to support the structure and function over the long term. This newly formed collagen is strong, very strong with high tensile strength; however improperly formed collagen at this stage may have the potential to present as issues later as we start to become more mobile, exercising, stretching etc. as the original cross-linkage connective tissue has to realign in the parallel formation. The remodeling is a very slow process which can take anywhere from 3 to 9 years to complete, not that I am trying to discourage you as this is happening whilst you are mostly unaware and getting on with living! However, it is important to understand this, as I often mention recovering from a joint replacement is a marathon, not a sprint!
 
I think I spent a little too much time on my feet over the last couple days. It was too nice to get out, but I'm pretty sore this morning. Again, not sure if the sore is due to sleeping funny or due to the last couple days of outings. I have no plans today, so I'm going to be forced to take it easy.

Any BTHR's or at least RTHR's out there who can tell me:
WHEN DID YOU RESUME DRIVING?
I feel like my right leg is still too slow/weak to be quickly responding to a necessary fast brake.
Thought?
 
My first drive 'all by myself' was three weeks post op. To be exact: last Tuesday. But I had done one drive to meet my father-in-law for dinner 18 days post op after I had not taken any oxycodone anymore for two days. That time my husband was by my side. It worked okay. Out in the country we have no traffic issues and the road was wide open. After that drive I decided to wait a few more days. I don't know if I would have felt comfortable for city driving. Probably not.
About last Tuesday's and also yesterday's drive: it felt great and I was sharp. I had worried how it would feel to get into my little car, but it was easy. So much easier than before my RTHR on February 4th. Truly, I have been overjoyed and amazed at how good I am feeling.
I think the best thing in regards to driving is to give it a try. Have someone be your passenger to help you with confidence. Also, no narcotic painkillers, but that's obvious, right?
I would avoid driving a 'hard to drive' car, but all newer models are easy to drive and don't require much physical effort. Don't know if this helps. I tried.
Today is a beautiful day on our side of the state. Simply gorgeous! Makes my heart sing.:SUNsmile:
 
@Briggieride: A beautiful day here in Western WA too. My car drives itself (not really, but it's super easy) so that's not an issue. I've been off the narcotics for weeks, so that's not an issue. I'm just afraid that I can' QUICKLY ENOUGH jump my foot from gas to brake. I live in a pretty dense suburb area so there is no avoiding traffic. I guess I'll just have to try it at some point around the neighborhood and see what it feels like.
At this point, I'm at the mercy of others for rides and today there's no one around. I'd like to go to the gym for my 'spinning' on the bike. Maybe I'll venture out.
Hmm.....
 
Dr Toonz,
I suggest getting in the car. Get your driving position as comfortable as possible. Try pushing the pedals. Pretend you have to brake. Note how it feels and if it is ok go for it. ( but you might have to clear it with your car insurance). If you had pain pushing pedals you are not ready.
I drove to physio by myself yesterday and it was really fine - more comfortable than before my op.
I am 7 weeks and had left THR, drive a manual, right hand drive car on the left side of the road.
Hope this helps :-)

Gill
 
@DrToonz I drove at about 5 weeks post BTHR - in a busy urban area - didn't go very far the first trip - just to the grocery store about 2 miles away. I agree with miaow27 - sit in the car and try out the maneuvers you'll need to do to drive.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom