Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be curious to know the approach that this person had for her surgery.
That did cross my mind, however, because the ONLY position which my surgeon's PA warned me about was moving my leg backward harshly. He described it while standing, but I can see that you could get into the same position by laying down on your belly and lifting your knee.
Curious.
Anyone else know about this?
 
No but my PT had me on my stomach doing leg lifts with no difficulty. Since our approach has no restrictions I would not see it as a problem if it was a comfortable position for you.
 
Hi @DrToonz once again it sounds like you are doing great.....bike riding at 4 weeks????? Well done

I'm fairly sure the lady who dislocated whilst on her tummy had the anterior approach
 
Hi @DrToonz I found the post. Its entitled 'Day 1' by @Michelle1976 ; Pasting her quote here for you:

regarding sleeping on your front ... I'm sure we should all just follow what we've been told, however, having a little look around (and following what happened to me), here's what I've found...
https://www.leonmeadmd.com/sleeping-positions-after-a-hip-replacement/
"
Stomach
You should not sleep on your stomach when you are recovering from hip replacement. This almost guarantees that you would turn your leg outward or twist at the hip, which would put you in danger of dislocation. Ask your surgeon to find out how long you need to wait before sleeping on your stomach, but it is recommended that you avoid this for at least six weeks.
 
This is interesting and makes a good point about turning the leg.
The linked article, however, includes information that I understand as currently applicable to posterior approach surgeries, and not anterior like mine. This makes me question as to whether the information has any viability for my (or other DAA patients') situation.
I'm not going to argue for a moment that I SHOULD sleep on my belly, but I'd like to see some information directly associated with DAA in order to feel like I'm making a sound and data-informed decision (or that I'm posting or handing forward that information to future DAA patients). I'm at 4 weeks tomorrow, so even this doesn't affect me after a couple weeks from now.
Still very interesting. I'll keep digging.
Thanks!
DRTOONZ
 
My surgeon explicitly said, as I was discharged the day after surgery, that sleeping on my stomach was OK. My PT stretched my hip flexors by pulling my thigh upwards as I lay on my stomach. Most of the information available about precautions are targeted at posterior approach patients.
 
Let's talk dizziness:
When I'm sleeping and I sit up from laying down with my feet slightly elevated in bed, I get dizzy. Not "stood up too fast and feel like passing out" dizzy, but room-spinning dizzy. Like vertigo (which I've had in the past).
((see BPPV)). I've checked my Blood Pressure just after this happens and it's normal (slightly high, but normal for me).
The dizziness passes in a few seconds. If I sit up faster or jerk my head around at all, it's worse. If I get up REALLY slow, it doesn't happen.
This is not something that happened to me prior to surgery.

The questions:
Is it surgery related?
Is it elevated-feet related?
Is it aspirin/acetaminophen/ibuprofen related (I do not take any narcotics or other drugs).

Thoughts?
 
You should ask Josephine. I bet she'll say it's related to all three of these. Did you watch the surgery on You Tube? I woke up and heard a lot of banging, some sawing, etc when I was in surgery and so last week when I got my nerve up I watched a video of the THR. I recognized the sounds and was able to demystify the whole process. I had my finger on the Escape key, ready to bail if it got too gruesome, but it was fascinating. Anyway, suffice to say we went through a HUGE assault on our bodies enduring this surgery - you twice over. I'm not surprised you're a little dizzy sometimes!
 
Hey @DrToonz I think that this subject about lying on our front etc raises a great point in that we should all follow what our surgeons say....after all they are the ones who sawed and hammered us!!! Trust in your OS is essential.....e

My surgeon had me on crutches for 6 weeks but some of his other patients left the hospital with a cane....who am I to judge....even at PT they referred to post surgical notes for each patient.

I agree with @grandma chris I think the dizziness could be related to all of the above. I have low BP and I know surgery and meds affect it.

Keep up the great work!!!
 
for the record, I've been sleeping on my stomach for a few weeks. PT said no problem altho I didn't ask OS. after I read @Michelle1976 post I got nervous but I'm still sleeping on my stomach and I hope it will be ok. as for the dizziness, I don't know, but hope it doesn't last. my daughter has had vertigo and it's terrible. maybe "all of the above" things that you listed could trigger it? what a drag.
 
@DrToonz - I've had this several times before but it was from muscles in my neck being very tight usually from some unusual use - like painting a wall above my head with my arm up working in that position a lot and a nerve is getting pinched - and it did happen to me a few weeks after surgery - when I started using a cane - assume it was something related to that. My shoulders get quite sore and muscles very tight/knotted. Massaging them helps some and also helps the dizziness/room spinning feeling. If you happen to have that also, it could be the same - I told my doctor and he gave me a muscle relaxant that I took at night and that took care of it. A couple of weeks later I quit using the cane anyway. So another possible option although you've been using your walking sticks for some time now and I'd say its not that if you do not have issues in your neck/shoulder muscles.
 
The hypotension you describe sounds as if the body is a bit slow adjusting blood flow to the brain to counteract the effect of gravity. If you sleep with your legs raised then gravity favors blood flow to the head and quickly rising will force blood flow from the head to the limbs resulting in temporary dizziness. Just a guess on my part.
 
sounds as if the body is a bit slow adjusting blood flow to the brain
This sounds like the most likely culprit because it doesn't have the same symptoms of vertigo (at least the type that I've had). Also, it just doesn't seem to happen unless I am laying down and sit up quickly. WAY worse when my feet were significantly elevated. Now with slight elevation, it's less of a problem. Maybe I'll test it with a 'flat' sleep. Hmm...
 
I did 45 minutes non-stop on the exercise bike yesterday. I didn't know if that would hit the "don't overdo it" mark, but it didn't. Today is fine. Better than ever. Boo-yah!
 
Dr Toonz when is that 5K?
congrats on the progress at the Gym, you must be starting to
get to that point where you feel like OMG life is good!
not sure if you are still trying to put socks on, but, i the
dreaded restrictions for 6 weeks, and at about 3-4 weeks I
found I could bend my knee, bringing my foot up between my
legs, and reach my foot to put the sock on. From that point on
it was all me when it came to getting dressed, and that is a great feeling!

keep up the great recovery!
and wait till you sit on your bike and it
doesn't hurt!

:bicycle1:
 
Dr Toonz when is that 5K?
April 27. I have some time. If I keep improving weekly like I am now, it'll be fine.
not sure if you are still trying to put socks on
Funny you should say that. I JUST NOW put on my socks. This is the 2nd time (first after my tumultuous attempt I accounted last time). This time, I had to push it a little into the 'stretching' point, but it worked! I didn't have to laugh at myself and I was able to do it pretty well. It was sort of a "hook-the-sock-on-the-toes" and then pull it on with one hand thing, but hey, I'll take it!!
 
good luck with the 5k, you will do fine. i was ready to do one last year, my
surgery was 22 october, and the walk was in early January, i was ready to go,
but, ended up having a pinched nerve removed from my foot just before christmas,
so i didn't think it was smart to do it with my foot bandaged up and with the stitches.
 
The co-workers picked me up and took me out to lunch today.
Then after the DW came home, we took the DD (devoted dog) to the dog park. I walked (with both hiking poles) for 0.3 miles on uneven ground while the dog played with his dog-friends.
It was blissful.
Now I'm completely wiped out. Ice. Elevation. Resting. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom