Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved that story!!! Laugh out loud funny!!! Thanks for sharing. Putting on Socks is definitely the most challenging activity I have as well. But it is so satisfying when they are on, since a couple of weeks ago it was an impossible task! Small but meaningful milestones!!
 
Oh Toonz you are a hoot! Now I know why I opt for Toms and no socks out foodies and crocs! Good job...:rotfl::goodpost:
 
Another tribulation is that I have a couple small spots near the tops of my incisions
Don't worry about them. I suggest you dab them with Tee Tree Oil rather than hydrogen peroxide. Much gentler and more effective.
Another tribulation issue is the occasional blues. Just a depression that's generally short lived and often at the time I feel most EXHAUSTED.
Well, it seems like we never left you a copy of our recovery articles, DrToonz. So here they are - with titles appropriate to your issues highlighted!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
it seems like we never left you a copy of our recovery articles

Oh, I got 'em and I read 'em ALL.
But the knowledge that becoming exhausted facilitates the occasional blues does not change the fact that the occasional blues happens.
I'm just sort of saying:
"This happens to me. It might happen to you. The Mantras and the Recovery Articles are accurate."
 
Hey, @DrToonz You're far more persistent than I. At acupuncture the other day I tried to put my socks back on after the appointment. After much frustration, use of language which I can't report here, and almost falling off the chair, I gave up and just threw the socks in my purse. Maybe I need a portable sock helper.

Peace and love to you.
 
I awoke today with intention of going to the gym for some spinning but I apparently didn't sleep on my hurt parts appropriately so I'm pretty sore. Maybe I'll try later.
 
Haha. Great reading Drtoonz as I'm getting ready for my pedicure. I do love how your posts make me smile Socks don't concern me come April 30 and beyond its Spring and I love bare-footing. Enjoy the weekend
 
Hey @DrToonz, been out of the look for several days, just finished catching up with you.........First of all "Thank You" for sharing the tribulations, I have been reading all these "wonderful" stories from post-ops and I am thinking to myself........piece of cake, I can do this! Inside I am fearing I will be the "let down" of the bunch! I have been going back and forth with doing one vs. both, scared one minute and so confidante the next, just that is exhausting! I love that you post the good and bad....... I asked my husband today if he was going to be able to hang in there for the long run, he didn't answer, I just sat here in silence for a minute then said that was good to hear...he responded by saying that he was just tired of hearing it all, hanging in there, loving me. It's just my own insecurity of being the recipient instead of the care giver.......scary! I hope I can share the ups and the downs as you have when my time comes, I am down to less than 2 weeks now. Yikes and Yippee!
 
I did 30 minutes straight of no-resistance recumbent stationary bike today. Early this morning I was GOING to go, but when I first wake up I feel really sore. After being awake I while, I felt like going. No worse for the wear!

Nice to get back to the gym even if it's not for sweating (yet).
:yes!:
 
Yesterday I found out what 'over doing' means for me. Took one 5mg oxycodone [why have pain?] this morning, not walking outside at all today [so far, let's see if I can stick with that] just doing some household things and giving my hip a break. Hip feels great again even with the oxycodone effect being gone [I think].
Great job, DrToonz- don't get too frisky:heehee:
 
@DrToonz I am ROFLMAO at your "tale of the socks". You've come a long way in a short time. I'm still pre-op and have difficulty putting on socks or tying shoes. For now I do slip on shoes and go with out socks. We can do that in California. Our winter of late consists of 70 - 80 degrees. Looks like the sock dilemma may continue a bit longer in post-op. I'll be thinking about your "tale of the socks" when I try and hopefully succeed as you have. TOO FUNNY!
 
Wow I'm so encouraged how long it been for you to do this !!!! You only had your surgery like 6 or 7 weeks right
 
I haven't even tried to put my sock on yet. I have no restrictions I had the anterior approach . Maybe I should try it will be a month this Thursday for me
 
DrToonz Try this...get some loose ish socks and scrunch them up before getting your toes in..then put your foot on the floor and 'walk' your toes into the sock using the floor to move the sock along your foot at the same time- that's my way!
Very funny post :-) :-)
Gill
 
get some loose ish socks
My problem is the size 12ee feet. No such thing as 'loose-ish' socks. All socks S T R E T C H to fin my feet at their maximum. Size 13 or 14 would be easier 'cause then I could buy the "fits size 13-16" socks.
...sigh...
 
A bit sore today. Don't know if it's due to going out for dinner with friends last night (not lots of walking, but a little) or due to my sleeping changes. I'm SO DONE with sleeping on my back that I attempt to spend at least a FEW minutes on my side. And last night I rolled all the way to my belly (a pre-surgery favorite going-to-sleep position). The belly position was hard on the hips so it was really short-lived.
Awoke sore/stiff and tired from not having good, long-term restful sleep. Tossing and (not-really-turning) turning every hour or two at least.
It seems you can't (and I know this from all my BS reading) rely on daily recovery milestones, but instead have to allow them to creep up on you by the 3-to-4 day increments. Even with this damned slow non-eventful not-feeling-improved few-day period, I still remain optimistic.
 
@DrToonz you have pretty much described my nights. Some better than others. Wise words to look for progress after 3-4 days rather than every day.
If I could knit I'd knit you some giant socks..... ;-)
 
@DrToonz watch out for the tummy position. A recent recovery poster dislocated while lying on
her tummy.
Just a word of caution.....
Continued great recovery wishes to you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom