Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which approach did your surgeon take to replace your joints?
Direct Anterior. Seems the most common of the lesser-invasive techniques.
I tried very much to not care about the pain anymore and did my best to stay fit.
I did too until September or so. I then hurt badly enough that I was incapable of 'powering through it' like I had been doing previously.
Like I wrote before Dr. I like you take on things.
Thanks!
 
I did the recumbent bike today for a whole like 6 minutes. I wanted to be REALLY sure that it didn't mess with me. It didn't bother me in the least. I'll do more tomorrow.

Walking with just one hiking pole now getting easier. No poles still means a little limp on the right leg. No dancing or hurrying, mind you. Just a deliberate slow walk.
 
I found my recumbent bike worked well on lowest setting after a couple of weeks. In fact I couldn't do it well before surgery (although my regular bike worked ok outside) because it tried to bring my leg to come up further than it could. Now I can do that :) Can't wait to ride outside though, so much less boring.
 
I read your progression of activities for THR and that was certainly NOT how it went for me. Back to work with crutches at the beginning of week 3. Finished with PT at the end of 2nd month ( I was going there and doing the same exercises I did at home, so I figured I could keep them up on my own). But I only had one hip replaced and was advised to have the other done, but held back until now. Walking is excellent physical therapy! Listen to your body and it will tell you what it needs. Your new joints are strong. It's just the nerve, muscle and tissue damage that takes time to heal- up to 12-18 months. I do think that a diet and exercise program to reward your new hips is a good idea and being able to walk a 5K is excellent incentive. I buckled down and lost 16 pounds after my first hip surgery and kept it off. Hobbling around is easier now, but I know that I will lose muscle during my recovery phase. Also, even though the anterior approach is famous for no precautions, my OS warned me against taking chances. Both his dislocations occured after 9 months when people forgot the basics. Fortunately there is nothing wrong with walking! Do steer clear of bending over to tie your shoe laces. LOL. I love reading your thread and you are an inspiration to me. Keep it up.
 
Pretty sore this morning.
Unfortunately, I don't have a control set so I don't know if it was my foray into a tiny bit of recumbent stationary bike exercise (I don't think so) or if it was my attempt to sleep in a bed for the first time in over 2 weeks. (I think so).
Either way, I'm a bit sore. Will be mellow today.

My ankles are still slightly swollen. That was my primary motivation for sleeping flat in the bed. I was hoping it would take care of the swelling. It didn't. Suggestions? It's really pretty minor and concentrated on my ankles. It was worse yesterday morning with thick upper ankles, ankles and feet, but that was gone by evening.
 
Morning DrToonz! Sorry you're feeling a little sore today - time to mellow out, as you say. Weird how our bodies react quite unpredictably to different things. Maybe it was the bike - after all, you had Bilateral only three weeks ago. I don't think it says anything about riding a bike in Josephine's guidelines. :) Congratulations on signing up for the 5k! It's a wonderful goal to aim for. Take it easy today, hopefully those ankles will come down soon.
 
@DrToonz Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing...I am now on the other side,woohoo!! Looks like things are going good for you, keep up the good work!! You can check out my post op thread if you like..
 
Hi DrToonz ! I love reading your recovery story. So excited for you and the 5K walk at 3 months (I am crossing my fingers that you will be able to do it !). At this point, I cannot imagine it for myself at the 3 month mark, but maybe at 6 months.

For me, the swelling in my legs (after both THRs - one in October last year, and one almost a month ago) was in constant evolution. It would move up and down my leg, often with no obvious reason. One day my knee would be huge, then it would move down to my calf, and then to the ankle and up again. At times it almost feels like part of the healing process. I have been sleeping in bed since day one this time around and am still sleeping with my legs elevated on 2 pillows, with both legs slightly bent at the knee. I must admit that the swelling has been less this time around than last October. Having my legs raised also is also more comfortable on my back (or maybe I am just used to it).

I tried walking a short distance with a cane about 2 weeks ago (instead of my walker), and that caused me considerable soreness and discomfort the next day. It was too early for me. In your case, maybe the soreness is due to switching from 2 walking poles to 1? Just a thought.

Looking forward to reading about your progress.
 
so @DrToonz . it's been about 3 weeks and things sound like they're progressing pretty smoothly. that's great. interesting how you seem a little less hilarious now that you're feeling better. I'd say that levity is a good coping mechanism for pain. :yahoo:. however you are, it's good following your recovery.
 
I've tried to come to terms with the 'less hilarious' angle. It certainly is TRUE, but I don't think that it's as much a COPING mechanism as it is that there isn't that darn much funny stuff happening in the world when you're just sitting in The Big Chair virtually all day long every day.
 
I could describe my day in 5 minute increments and that in itself would be funny. Oh, but it would be long and would have a seriously depressing affect on all the upcoming hippies! ;)

I guess there could also be the Oxycodone Effect when it comes to writing. Maybe there is a causal relationship between a humorous post and the miligrams/hour of oxy I was ingesting! hehe.

I'm sure SOMETHING funny will happen soon as I'm now considering venturing out! Watch me shuffle my way to the pub!
 
I did the gym today. 15 whole minutes of no-resistance spinning of the recumbent stationary bike. 2 miles or so. I even got the heart rate slightly elevated. After the car ride home (about 10 minutes) I felt a little stiff.
I got some lunch, had a shower, took an hour nap and after waking up everything feels better than ever!

I love it! Thy bike didn't even "hurt" like it did prior to the surgery. There was some discomfort mounting the thing (I have to use my hands to lift my leg over the middle bar) and it's a little slow getting into place, but once there, spinning feels great. And I don't have to contort my legs every revolution. I used to have to because of hip pain. I have NO hip pain now.

Yeah, baby!
 
That' what I say @DrToonz : yeah, baby! Truly I am thrilled that you have the spirit to do what you do. I am 15 days post op and am now wondering when I can get on my home trainer [road bike on a trainer]. Before the surgery I was able to ride that bike in the garage. [Even during some Seahawks games while getting a beer from the beer fridge and cooling my hot flashes. And while standing around making my old hip hurt deciding that I should try and sit on the bike instead. Which I did, then turning the pedals with a beer in my hand and also at the lips at times, cheering the Hawks. But I digress.] Anyway, before my surgery and while riding on the bike in the garage I took one of my husbands 90 degrees angle tools to check and see if I would be able to ride my bike soon after thr. And yay, my torso to thigh angle was about 90 degrees. So I had no worries for after surgery. Then I find out that I can bend my hip 120 degrees- I will definitely not have any problems with that. Now the question remains when it would be wise to mount my bike again. I am very, very tempted to try soon. I can go easy resistance too.
But today I was doing my walks, each of them longer than the previous ones and it makes me so happy to be able to do that. And hopeful!
Yeah, baby!!! So happy for you.
 
Excellent up date, DrToonz :yay: Just take it slow - remember the "don't over do it once you know what over do it means to you" advice!! Don't want you injuring a muscle or anything else
 
@DrToonz, awesome news! Good for you. Looks like you did it right and stopped just short of overdoing it. Keep up the great work! So happy for you:egypdance:
 
Both of us are going to be up and going strong before you know it. My dr said I should be back to 100% at 3-4 months out. Yay for you and the bike!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom