Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Hippy Toonz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is individual physician choice. Since I tend to be on the lazy side 3 pt a week is good for me. Walking treadmill slow for 7 min and different light exercises to build strength in both legs, nothing painful at all. He wants me to go straight from walker to full walking because using canes is tricky with bilateral so I am starting to move around here without. And remember we all heal differently.


We will get there!
 
@DrToonz Actually the more walking you can do at this point the better it would be for you - would, I think, also help with stiffness and any swelling in the legs you might have. I'd suggest getting up at least every hour or so and walking back and forth a couple of times - don't know the lay out of your house. I did "laps" across my big main room - it was about 25 short steps each way. I'd do 4-5 round trips each time and then settle back down and at first would need to nap for a bit after all that exercise :heehee:. Practice standing as straight as you can when you walk and taking real steps not shuffling. It does get easier :thumb:

Love the fishing basket! That is a wonderful idea. Yeah for Mom!
 
OK, here's another question.
It feels different to me.
Like when I physically grab my hips (like the pose your mom held between discovering you and scolding you while she looked down at your 5-year-old self and assessed the damage you'd done to the bag of flour you got into) I can feel my hip-bones (hehe...bones...hehe) are shaped differently than before. Could be an illusion. Could be muscles reconfigured from their previous positions. Could be...???
Anyone else notice a significant structure change feeling?
 
It's probably because now you can stand up straight because of having new hips. And standing up straight makes that area ummmmm thin out a bit ;) The implants do not go anywhere near the hip bones that you can feel. And it's possible that since the surgery, even though you aren't moving around much, you might have lost some weight.
 
I know what you are talking about toonz. My muscles and ligaments over the hip feel tighter which makes the whole area feel different in shape.
 
OK, here's another question.
It feels different to me.
Like when I physically grab my hips (like the pose your mom held between discovering you and scolding you while she looked down at your 5-year-old self and assessed the damage you'd done to the bag of flour you got into) I can feel my hip-bones (hehe...bones...hehe) are shaped differently than before. Could be an illusion. Could be muscles reconfigured from their previous positions. Could be...???
Anyone else notice a significant structure change feeling?
@DrToonz
I struggle to remember my 5 year old self but the look you describe I think of as the one I get from 'er indoors, the one that says "This explanation had better be good!"
Now that you mention it I think there is a difference in the feel of the hip, I only had one done but I'm not sure I might be imagining it :) Best wishes to you
 
I did my first Post-Op appointment today. No bad news.

More activity than I've done recently. Had to get kind of dressed (just a tiny bit more than my normal pajamas), got a nice sponge-bath and washed my own hair in the sink. Then I got in the car (all by myself) and the DW put the walker in the back. Then we rode the 40-minutes to the doctor office. I got out by myself and plopped myself into an awaiting wheelchair for the trip across the facility, up the elevator, down the hall and blah blah blah.

Here's the thing. Underwear of a certain type (which i am prone to gravitate toward) would ride itself RIGHT on my staples, so I Went Commando to this appointment. (Just wait...there's a reason for me telling you this). When we get there, I'm admitted into a waiting room, wheeled back there by a very friendly young lady whose job it was, I thought, to greet me and drop me in a waiting room.

THEN she told me that she'd be removing my staples.

The DW was quick to chime in with a request for some type of "modesty napkin". (when I first went to the pre-op check-in I was given a little towel to ...hmm... "Add modesty" to the awesome off-the-rack gown they gave me. I renamed it a Modesty Napkin and after a few laughs by my DW and I and a little uncomfortable moment with one of the staff members, the Modesty Napkin moniker remains).
I then explained to the nice young woman that for comfort reasons, I wasn't wearing the most modesty-appropriate attire. She offered me a glorified paper towel to use. Hehe. Funny. Where's my gown? Oh...she's SERIOUS.

OK.

Then rather than stepping aside or out of sight or anything, she just stood in front of me with this paper towel held out in front of her to, ostensibly, block her view of a almost-paper-towel sized part of my just-about-to-be exposed area, and told me that I could drop trow right there.

OK.

Have I mentioned before that there is No Modesty In Hospitals? I mentioned that to this nice young lady and she said "this isn't a hospital, it's a clinic". I don't think she really understood my sentiment. Oh, well.

I did as she asked, sat sideways on the elevated exam bed with a paper towel on my lap and allowed her to painfully yank a bunch of tape off the bandages, removing a great amount of body hair to the soundtrack of my yipping like a girl. She then got the cool staple remover and pulled all 40 or so staples.

There truly is no modesty in hospitals. Or, as we all now know, in clinics.

That's the funny stuff that happened today. Now for the important stuff.

Got my staples out (about 20 per side). Got some steri-strips in their place.
Got an xray (Wow. It's really AMAZING to see your own Titanium Implants. I seriously almost teared up. I was also kind of freaked out [the way some people are seeing their own blood I would guess])
Got some restrictions lifted:
I am now allowed to gently walk as much as I want.
I am now allowed to take a shower (everyone appreciates this one).
I am now allowed to remove my annoying compression socks.
I am now allowed to NOT elevate constantly.

I still have to take my ibuprofen, acetaminophene, aspirin and, if I want, oxycodone.
I cannot extend my legs BACKWARD until the muscles have healed. The Anterior Approach uses that backward extension to dislocate the socket during the procedure so the muscles are predisposed to dislocation with that move.

So for the next week I'm supposed to walk as much as I can without "overdoing it". The PA that I was seeing told me that "overdoing it" was something that I'd have to probably actually TRY before I knew what it is. Hmmm.....

After the next 8-9 days (Weekend after next), I get to use the recumbent bike at the gym. No strength training, no tension on the bike, just MOVEMENT. And he said that I should ditch the walker about that time and go with a cane or, if necessary, crutches. I can also just do what I feel like I can as far as getting out and about.

Still the two-month timeline for bones to attach themselves to my implants, so that's the concern. I need to be mellow enough to not dislodge them.

I guess that's the update.
 
Good for you! And great update, since I was glued and steri stripped I don't see my Dr for another 13 days. Nice to here from another bilateral that has been seen. I ditched my hose and walker yesterday. Will take the walker when going out though just as a precaution.
 
@DrToonz You are doing amazing for this short amount of time.
I enjoy your honest thorough posting of the 'way it is'.
May you continue to heal so well as you have.
ONward and UPward! :tada:
 
@DrToonz, sounds like you are doing great. So happy for you. Keep up the good work!
 
Wahoo.... Great update @DrToonz - you passed so many milestones in one visit.... Yippee !

I hope the young lass gave you embossed, fancy paper towel...
 
:goodpost: @DrToonz - I'm sure the woman who took out your staples is a professional and has seen it all many times before. :heehee: but I love your Modesty Towel nomenclature. Sorry you were discombobulated by the procedure - and isn't it better to have the staples out?! Now you can sing along - These hips were made for walking, and that's just what I'll do ......
 
@DrToonz You amaze me with your humor.:rotfl:...I smile when i read your posts...I am so happy that things are going well..:yay: Continued success and a speedy recovery..:flwrysmile:
 
Sorry you were discombobulated
I wasn't as discombobulated as I may have come across in my description. It WAS a new and funny experience, but I'm pretty liberal and don't have much of a hard time with this kind of stuff. It's just something most don't get to experience like that every day so it's fun to recap it with a humorous angle. There's no questions she has, as they say, "seen it all". She was very friendly and completely professional.
I smile when i read your posts
This is my favorite thing ever. Thank you for saying so. :)
 
I think I may have found the "overdo it" point yesterday. I also made the mistake of using that day as the day to reduce my oxy dosage. I woke up in the night with some pain. Took one oxy and went back to sleep. This morning is OK. Just like yesterday. No step backwards, but wow.

Onward!!

I remain optimistic!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom