BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hippity Doo Dah!<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Carriemay60, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

United States United States
    Good for you that you reached one of your goals and got a long walk in. I drove around our area to find lakes or parks that have circles and ideally benches. It helps to know I can see where I’ve started. Sweet of your hubby to go with you.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

Wonderful news!!! It only gets better! Pretty soon you won't be so worried about watching your feet!! :yahoo:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Awesome! Sounds like a lovely walk! It’s hard to concentrate on the ground... and the stride... and the back... and the... ugh you get the picture!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

I take "Calm" magnesium from the health food stores. My husband drinks a bit of pickle juice and it takes his away. I always keep some fresh when on vacation in our motor home too. It really works for him and others we know. But "Calm" powder form is an excellent source of magnesium supplement also.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. KathyD

KathyD junior member

I get foot cramps, too. Believe it or not, stretching out your calves helps that, as well as the supplements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. lotusbuds

lotusbuds member

wonderful you are up and out again...be careful and mindful. Thats what I tell myself every step but its so distracting out there in the big outdoors. You are doing so well. Congratulations!

• Like Like x 4
  7. trenna

trenna junior member

Canada Canada
    Just wanted to drop in and wish you a happy Victoria day weekend :cheers:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    @trenna Happy holiday weekend to you! I'm hoping some grilling will be involved if the weather isn't too wet. :cheers:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. SarahBee

SarahBee graduate

@Carriemay60 and you had a great check up! Look at you without your cane. I am so happy for you. It isn't always easy to see forward progress and then one day, it just is! :console2:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    @SarahBee I have been caught 3 times today moving in the house without my cane. I just seem to walk out of the kitchen without it and not even realize it. However, as soon as someone points it out, I realize I am limping so I need to remember it and use it a bit longer for sure. It will come, when my hip is ready. So happy to hear you have had some happy times with your grand babies and getting back to your pre-hip life. I thought my story had been a very long one but yours doubles mine and you must feel absolutely reborn. I rejoice with you!
    :loveshwr:

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@Carriemay60 That's the first clue that soon you won't need your cane at all! So funny how it happens all of a sudden like that........oops, where's my cane?! :heehee: Glad you're still using it to work on your limp though. But it won't be long!! You're really on your way now! :walking:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. lotusbuds

lotusbuds member

isn't that a wonderful feeling to realize you are doing it without the cane...even for a few seconds...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

Hi @Carriemay60! :wave: Are you busy sneaking around today? :heehee: I hope your good fortune walking yesterday carries into today. And tomorrow. And, and, and!!! :yes!:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    @SE Florida Yesterday I went to a big home/gardening store taking my life in my hands! :heehee:
    I was using my cane at first and thought between that and the look of sheer terror on my face people would give me space. Silly of me, I know. I got bumped into quite a few times but once quite hard and threw my balance so we found a mobility scooter with a shopping basket on the front. One woman was in such a panic about not being in front of me that when she tried to squeeze by at a half run, she tipped into the basket a bit. People are ridiculous. I left without my seeds, plants and fun stuff but did manage to get the stain for the porch. Today is a holiday here (Victoria Day) and in my province everything is closed including grocery stores so sadly I can't putz with my flowers and seeds. Thankfully, we made it to the liquor store before everything shut down last night :cheers:

• Like Like x 3
  15. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

That's so frustrating @Carriemay60, people can be so darned rude! Certainly glad to hear your liquor store was open so at least your day had a happy ending! :martini:

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Carriemay60 - I think I might have been using one crutch still at your stage of recovery. for some reason people saw that but did not see the stick and kept out of the way of the former but not the latter. The first days out at supermarkets and busy places are quite scary I found!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Oh gosh, I give you credit! Big crowds make me anxious on my best days! I will probably use 2 crutches in public for a long long time!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Like Like x 4
  18. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

I made sure that I took my walker while going through Sam's Warehouse. I actually needed it to get through the whole store anyway but boy, people sure cleared the deck when I came through! :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    If I had thought ahead that I would be unguarded at all I was have taken the walker. At the time I thought "how stupid". Of course people go in different directions especially when one is trying to find a scooter!
    :giggle:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Bit of a lousy weather day and all stores closed so decided to get creative and try the two, 8 step flight stairs to the master bedroom. The house is 70 years old and what is now the master suite used to be an attic so the pitch & tread on the stairs is a bit higgily piggily. Railing on one side. I got there and back, threw a bag of spring/summer pants off the top landing but not my favourite adventure. I tried alternate feet for 2 steps but felt my groin & butt muscles scream in protest so reverted to toddler style. Been icing since but still quite sore.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2019