THR Hippie Chick’s Recovery Journey

Whole side- if you place your hands on your face, that side is colder. My sister jokes it’s because of the metal- hah!
 
@Hippie Chick - Your outing to the cinema sounds like fun, well done for managing a 3 hour film. At the moment 30 mins is about my limit for sitting still, although I don't have the same problem laying down, it's a shame they don't have recliners in cinemas :)

I'm still having problems getting up from chairs without using my arms and have been practising rising and sitting on the side of my bed for a couple of weeks now. It is a little higher than a normal chair and obviously the bounce does make it easier but I can still feel the muscles around my knees having to work and they have got stronger since I started. The next stage for me is to move this exercise to my slighty higher than normal armchair (it's seat is about 20 inches high) and continue practising on that.

Re difference in temperature, I haven't noticed any difference in temperature between each side of my body. I tried testing it this morning and thought I'd noticed a difference and then realised that one of my hands was actually colder than the other, which was making the difference, could this be what you've noticed ?
 
Yes @Esmeralda that’s what I have noticed! It’s not bothersome but I did wonder if anyone else had noticed it.
 
@Hippie Chick sorry, don't remember my op side feeling colder than the other. But then again, once I hit that magical stage in life I'm always hot so it would have been welcome! :)

Good for you getting out and about. The 3 hour movie is definitely a feat, don't know if I could have done that at 3 months out. You seem to have a good handle on your recovery and listening to your body.
 
Tomorrow is my first day back at work! I dread seeing what my room looks like but am hoping for the best! I would love to hear that I could have a day or two to reorganize my materials but am not expecting that. My leave did not permit me to go back to work until my first official day back. Please send great thoughts and vibes my way for a great day and week! If you have any awesome tips feel free to pass those along!
 
Wishing you the best tomorrow! I found that returning to work was a balancing act. We all have different job descriptions, mine was a bit more physical than most.
it helped to balance the amount of time standing vs sitting. For me, sitting was harder than standing.
So not to overuse the word, it's a balancing act.
I also packed my gel ice packs to use while sitting at my desk.

Just getting up, showered/dressed for work can be exhausting so please give yourself grace.
I found showering the night before and sitting out my clothing/packing my work bag, etc., most helpful.

I hope you check back in next week and give us your back to work update! :banghead:
 
@Hippy chick brought back a vivid memory of the first day back to work and being completely wiped out just standing in the office door as I received all the nice warm welcomes from coworkers!
But I got stronger quickly.
All the best to you :flwrysmile:
 
I’ve just been through this. It was hard but rewarding at the same time. For the first two weeks - apart from taking my delegates to dinner I would come home, put my feet up for two hours and also ice the hip…. It all helped me relax. Last week and this I have got back to some social events on top of work and am tired but fairly happy. I really did learn to pace myself this time…

Sitting at a computer for long periods of time is a killer. Luckily Occ Health were on the ball

And it is in my Report that I have to have regular breaks and I take them even if it is only walking around for five minutes. I even make sure I use the disabled toilet which is a walk from the office and even involves one flight of stairs. Gives me a break plus a bit of physio.

I hope your workplace is helpful towards your recovery….. mine are much better this time round than five years ago.
 
Thanks! I am hoping for the best! Toilet height and assistance bar makes an enormous difference- thankfully we have those around the building. I have ice packs in the freezer. I need to make sure I elevate as I still have some swelling. It’s less than before but still present unfortunately. I am not great at work life balance so I am really going to work on that plus necessary recovery self care. Hearing your experience and others truly helps me!
 
I will be following you and sending healing vibes! Bonesmart is so right re it’s comments and the washing dressing driving and everything it takes before you actually get to the workplace. It is exhausting! Being 5 years older and more sensible this time I have really paced myself and benefited from it..

Best of luck to both of you..,
 
I survived- but boy am I tired now! I will probably be exhausted by Friday. I am now heading to elevate and possibly ice. I need taller chairs in my room, the shorter chairs were hard on my muscles! I walked and walked and walked. :sleep:
 
Pleased to hear you made it through your first day back at work, hopefully the rest of the week will go smoothly for you.
 
@Hippie Chick
I know how exhausting Back to Work is...
Do find some taller chairs if possible and yes, when you get home - relinquish other chores and Ice, Ice.
This was my life when I headed back.
 
Back
Top Bottom