THR Hippie Chick’s Recovery Journey

@Hippie Chick
Hi Hippie Chick! Taking care of the fur-kid was first on my agenda. I ordered kibble online and my neighbors would bring it in and place the bag on a stand that was high enough to where I didn't have to bend over to scoop it up then I dumped it in her raised bowl and used my grabber to pick it up when empty. The water was a little trickier, though. I went from using a bowl to using a small ice cooler so I could pick it up, fill it and lower it by the handle. Of course my neighbors were right there to help as soon as I had difficulties.

As far as adjusting myself in bed I was about to order myself bedrails off of Amazon when my friend that runs the local thrift store gave me a little set to put on my bed against the wall and it has been a life saver! I'm on a single bed, not much real estate to roll around on....easy in and easy out.
 
My son and his girlfriend picked up kibble for me- I bought enough to last until their next visit. Kibble is heavy. It is strategically placed for me like yours is. They have a raised feeder as well which helps tremendously. Grabbers are magnificent!
If my hand/shoulder discomfort continues I will look into bed rails. I had not thought of that. After surgery I do not like sleeping close to the edge. I jumped in my sleep the other night and panicked- had to make sure my leg was in the right position. The assistive devices you need after THR is amazing! Thanks for sharing your tips- we have to look out for each other!
 
@Hippie Chick
I've been in a perpetual state of recovery and it's been a real learning curve for 2 years now. After my primary THR and spinal 3 years later I just healed and moved forward with my life. This time I needed to find new ways to survive just doing every day stuff...laundry, shopping, bathing, cooking....and sleeping.
I'm so happy to see so many independent people who never asked for help and weren't comfortable starting. That is as hard for me as these surgeries are. Well....we gotta get better because that's what we do.
 
My sister repeatedly tells me that just because I can doesn’t mean I should. I took my trash to the waste and recycling center. I had someone ask if they could put it in the bin for me. I said yes please. In the past, I would have struggled to do it myself without thinking I needed my energy to get out of the car when I got home. Recovery is helping me to slow down and prioritize healing.
 
My sister repeatedly tells me that just because I can doesn’t mean I should.
That line surfaces here a lot also and it's so true!
All in an effort for a slow steady recovery without setbacks.
Glad you're prioritizing. Keep up the good work, Hippie Chick! Happy Two Month Anniversary!
 
I have now been to the movies- yay! With quick thinking I was able to slowly maneuver me, popcorn, and a soda successfully! Took a walk break halfway through (3 hour movie). The end found me standing against the wall but that was okay. This felt like quite the accomplishment.
With the holidays approaching, I have done some early online shopping. I will need to plan strategically for actual shopping as I am not keen on being bumped. I had someone run their cart into my ankle the other day- I loudly said excuse me but no concern on their part. It was not my surgical leg, no lasting harm done, but a very good reminder to be patient while out and about and to be very mindful of shoppers near me. Parking and proximity to shops is also a consideration now that was not in the past.
I have also gotten my hair cut! My stylist was very helpful with keeping my chair from moving away from me as she has retro barber chairs that spin! I now have a shag cut! I want to paint my toenails at some point!
Both were solo ventures to a neighboring city and one involved getting fuel for the car! These mini forays are helping me build up stamina which will help me when I return to work. The best part is that I can rest or stop completely if I need to. Posting this will help me see next time when I started to feel more normal even if it is a new normal.
I need to clean and organize a bit (hah!) before returning to work as I expect I will be quite tired. I had thought about having someone come clean but I fear I would be pre-cleaning before they came. Any strategies would be appreciated!
I am now trying to push up from my low car with hands on seat which is working better. My shoulders have been complaining about helping out so much! At what stage does getting up from a low seat or chair become automatic again? I am still having to push off with hands.
Happy Wednesday all!
 
:wave: @Hippie Chick
Look at you, all out and about like a grown-up:heehee:
I say this because although I considered myself a fairly fearless individual, I found that my BTHR really put me in cautious/anxious mode and the outings you describe were part and parcel of not only getting my stamina back... but my confidence.
Not entirely an unhelpful mental place for us gung-ho folks....so that we don't mess up this Hip Pain Cure with a dumb move.

I "helped " myself up from sitting most of the time the first 6-8 months... and I also found myself toddler stepping stairs for a long time when no rail and out in the world.
I know it takes a bit to get that strength back and after we sit ...it seems like muscles went into a kind of "sleep mode" so I wouldn't worry that it isn't normal.

Hope you have a great week.
Back to the Real World really soon.
 
Well done!
With regards to being out in a store I take my cane. Don't need it, but it is a signal to others to approach me wi caution.
And I am staying out of the grocery store on weekends. I am safer to shop during the week.
:console2:
 
I nearly got bowled over by a pram. It came from around a corner and luckily I saw it before it hit my operated side.

My advice is give corners a wide berth... can't see what's coming.

Great that you're out and about, makes you feel like you're part of the world again.:egypdance:
 
@Hippie Chick Because I had both hips replaced at once I mastered the art ( long before the surgery ) of moving both legs at the same time to do things like get into and out of my car, get into and out of my bed, etc. And after surgery that also worked well to maintain stability when standing up. You might try that technique to see if it makes things a bit easier.

UGH - careless "drivers" in the store really irk me! As much as one tries to avoid them it's nearly impossible to do so. I once (shortly after my surgery) got whacked by a cart "driven" by an energetic toddler who was "helping" Mommy.
 
Question- my surgical side is colder than my non surgical side. Is this typical?
 
Back
Top Bottom