THR Hippie Chick’s Recovery Journey

Thanks @Elf1 and @Mojo333 ! I struggle with forced dependence- I don’t like it at all. As I mentioned before, this has been a “hard reset” for me. I am trying to learn from this time. I am trying to release things that are not working (extra duties at work) and prioritize self care which I need at this time. My work and my approach to work has to change as I no longer want to live to work. I told someone I was not going to continue one of my projects and I received push back. There are four people who are going to do it now. I have questioned if all of this stress played a role in my hip health.
 
Why do people have to be like that, good for you, just ignore.
I had a "friend" tell me when I was 6 weeks into recovery that I was still on walker due to posterior approach even after I told them that I still had small fracture after surgery that was healing and was on PWB.
You will be ok on your own, do what you can and rest. I have partner but he's gone 3 days a week. Only think I wouldn't do alone was shower. I wanted him to be in the house when I showered otherwise I was just fine.
All my best.
 
Hippie Chick it’s so hard to be dependent on someone else isn’t it. Hip surgery really hits you in the face with what we can control. I thought I’d get off walker this week and start driving but PT said not ready and need to be safe. Also isn’t it nice to be able to say NO and not feel bad or regret saying it . I was the same way about work but decided that it was time to get out of rat race and do things I enjoy. Use this time to decide what makes you happy and do it!! Keep up the healing .
 
I had my eight week appointment today. Getting my long legs into my little car was no fun. I had watched videos showing how to do it- seat pushed back, seat reclined, trash bag, etc. in the parking lot removed my dog gate from the car and put it in the trunk. Much better but not enough to entice me to get back in anytime soon. Major restriction- do not bend and twist or bend from the side. If I am going to bend I need to be facing whatever I am picking up or working on. I fear I came very close to this tending to my dogs but I missed this one somehow. Finger numbness and less grip should improve over time. Tiredness should improve over time. My friend from work and I stopped for lunch which is my first excursion since surgery. Restaurant hostess was wonderful and patient as I was being seated. Managed to stand up using chair back and table for extra support. I was in the car for between 3-4 hours which made for a very long day. My hip is sore and tired. I am sleepy. Recovery takes time.
 
That was a long journey you had to cope with, I can barely tolerate 30 mins in the car at the moment. It sounds like you still have the same ongoing restriction as me, I'm hoping that will cease at 12 weeks but I will doube check with my surgeon's secretary nearer the time. Did they say to you how long you had to keep that restriction ?
 
I think that one is long term. He was emphatic about facing and bending in the same direction. It makes sense but would have liked to known sooner. I think common sense movements was implied. I like to hear what others are being told so I can piece it all together.
 
I think it's good to go out even occasionally in the early days. Cabin fever can get to you.

I think it's a natural movement to face forward when bending down so I'd say that could be right. I've never thought about it till now.
 
I fear I came very close to this tending to my dogs but I missed this one somehow
If this is in regard to picking up feeding bowls to fill, check out Amazon, or a variety of online sites for
No Bend Pet Bowls. It may be something you want to consider.
It sounds like you had a nice post op visit and it was re-enforced that so many aspects of this recovery just take time. Slowly but surely you will get there. :yes: I hope you have a pleasant weekend!
@Hippie Chick
 
Question- how are you positioning in bed? I am still pulling up with my arms which annoys my shoulders. I have put a step there to help as well. I push with my non operative leg. I am working on standing using my legs as much as possible. Shoulder pain is new and will disappear if I can avoid overuse. This pushing and pulling may have impacted my elbow as well (numb pinky). Thanks for any tips!
 
A long journey for sure! Sounds a good appointment though.

Bed - I’m still flat on back. I use mostly all upper body to pull up from lying flat to semi upright against pillows. Sitting on bed and swinging legs in is fine but I’m not remotely near agile.
 
@Layla I have two large dogs. One will happily go up at night into her crate. The other one tries to stall. She would lay under my chair where I could not easily reach her. I was sitting but bending down to grab her collar from the side. My dogs are sisters and have very different personalities. They are big doggies that are still in the puppy stage until around two. I added them to my life before I knew I had hip issues.
 
So cute, the different personalities. I'll bet they are loving companions and good company as you're healing from surgery. I am a dog lover. I've had many in my life, but after losing the last one, a little over a year ago, hubs and I decided that was it. Enjoy your furry friends, Hippie Chick!
@Hippie Chick
 
Question- how are you positioning in bed? I am still pulling up with my arms which annoys my shoulders. I have put a step there to help as well. I push with my non operative leg. I am working on standing using my legs as much as possible. Shoulder pain is new and will disappear if I can avoid overuse. This pushing and pulling may have impacted my elbow as well (numb pinky). Thanks for any tips!
@Hippie Chick

Have you used the foot grabber to get in bed? Not perfect but helps getting in for sure.

I get being sore. My shoulders are both making me wish for a hospital bed. All those side grabbing handles.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hippie Chick’s Recovery Journey
    Screenshot_20231028_121753_Samsung Internet.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 53
When I had my knee replacement I was told to hook my good leg under my operated leg and swing up onto the bed.

I use that method now if I need to lift my leg so I don't put too much strain on my hip.

The leg lifter looks cool,wish I'd seen it sooner.
 
The leg lifter looks cool, wish I'd seen it sooner
Hi Goma,
As a Leg Lifter substitute, many use a belt to a bath robe, not sure what you call it in Australia?
Most of us have one of those around the home.
 
Back
Top Bottom