Hip replacement with BMI at 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

snickers

Country
United States United States
I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 375. No diabetes, no high blood pressure. I take no medication of any kind. I went to a surgeon and he said he wouldn't do the surgery but I did need it. He told me to lose weight.

I asked how was I supposed to lose weight when I could barely walk? He said go find a Doctor to prescribe a narcotic for the pain. I had a cortisone shot about a month ago and it did help but my hip is just going to back to pain all the time. I purchased a recumbent bike but that is painful too.

I have lost about 15 pounds in the last month but its just slow going. The pain has stopped me from doing activities with my family and friends. Does anybody know of any surgeons that will do a hip with BMI at 45 in Kansas?

Last edited by a moderator:
@snickers Welcome to BoneSmart! So sorry you are getting the run around from this surgeon. Frankly I think this tactic is cruel. You are absolutely correct - you can not lose weight when you are in pain and have no mobility. I would definitely recommend you find a more sympathetic surgeon who will work with you. You are far too young to be sitting on the sidelines.

You might give the Find a Clinic section of this site a try. Call around and ask if they will work with you. Please do keep us updated!

@snickers I am having a left THE ON 7th july, I am 5'5" and weigh 15st. My surgeon pointed out I am overweight (although losing slowly ) but is still going ahead with surgery. @Jacey helped me find my current surgeon as the previous one would not give me THR due to age!!! Please find someone who is willing to do your surgery, there are some wonderful forward thinking consultants if you look and research! Wishing you the best of luck on your journey.

Snickers.
Not Fair.
There are many surgeons who have no problem doing hip replacements on larger persons.
And evidence suggests that being larger has no real bearing on recovery.
Try to seek out one of these,surgeons and get mobile again.
Best Wishes.
Joe.......

I'm going to tag @Jamie . She is in Kansas. She may not be in your area but perhaps she could recommend someone.

@snickers loosing 15 pounds in one month is quite an accomplishment in it's self congratulations
I hope you can find an accommodating Surgon soon.

Snickers,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us.
Keep looking for a surgeon who will take into account how limited your life has become, not your weight.
In the reading below has a score chart, use the score chart to see just how limited you are, and be sure to take a copy to the OS. That way the OS can see just how limited you have become.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

3 years ago I went to an orthopedic surgeon and was told there was nothing they could do, wouldn't do surgery, said I needed to lose weight and live with it (when I asked about cortisone she said nope). At that point I was 46 years old and at 5'3" weighed about 270.

I lost almost 60 pounds and lived with it for the next 3 years. This year when I saw my primary care doc in February, I said I can't keep living with it! She sent me to a different orthopedic surgeon. When I told him my story, he was disgusted that that's what I'd been told and how I'd been treated.

Now I have a new right hip and tomorrow I'm getting a new left hip! Already I'm starting to feel more like 49 instead of 90!

Keep asking until you find someone who cares more about you and your mobility and your quality of life!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thank you for all of the replies..gonna try to lose this weight have an appointment in about a month.... hope the pain doesnt drive me crazy!!

Well.....so far I've lost 36 pounds...Dr. appointment in 10 days....shooting for 40 pounds off by then...hopefully I can get a surgery date. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As someone who has spent decades on the weight loss roller coaster, I wanted to congratulate you--36 lbs in less than a month is quite impressive. It demonstrates your commitment to doing your part for a successful recovery, too, so I hope your OS will understand that.

Thank you....hasn't been easy...strict low glycemic diet and lost of pedaling a bicycle.

Went to the surgeon today....decided to try Celebrex till October...then surgery. Will decide on a date first week in September. This hip just gets worse even day!

So sorry you have to be on medication for so long. Hang in there - it does sound like you may have a solution. Please keep us updated!

Thanks for all of the encouragement. ...the medication and waiting was kinda my idea...give me time to lose more weight and still enjoy the warm months.

@snickers I can't blame you on your decision as summer is so short and even exercise is better outdoors. I lost half my body weight and have kept it off for many many years. I am with you. Maybe my second hip will be around the same time you have your surgery....that would be cool we could whine together lol

:loveshwr::biking::swim:

@snickers I can't blame you on your decision as summer is so short and even exercise is better outdoors. I lost half my body weight and have kept it off for many many years. I am with you. Maybe my second hip will be around the same time you have your surgery....that would be cool we could whine together lol

:loveshwr::biking::swim:
That would be fun [emoji12]

I am trying to get an appointment for surgery and the right bestest hospital ....The hold up is not my surgeon or anything but checking issues on bills on my end I think I'll have my date information no later than mid next week.

It will be fun.... I joined this site after my first hip just this April. I read some of my thread and laugh my posterior off.

Read read read all the areas and links any mod posts here or Josephine the nurse. I wish I had read these before I went. I would have had more stool softeners, more foods high fiber and prunes and prune juice and gotten myself more cool things to do while lazing about. I am about 14 to 15 weeks past the first no pain etc. The other one hurts more now cause it's bone on bone and a teeny bit shorter than the other one. More ouch!!!

Let's get our dates when we can and get together on here right after....party party party party:yes!:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lizardtails
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom