Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

Reporting from San Diego! Made the trip quite well, I think. Only about a 4 hour flight to SD after a short run to Charlotte which had it's problems; we almost missed the SD flight. Planning for a wheel chair is the way to go. . .he got us there just in time to board! That was the most exciting part of the trip.

A little stiff when I got up to walk the aisle; which is, by the way so narrow now I could hardly get down it without ending up in someone's lap. One of the attendants tried to make me use the 1st class rest room because it was closer and she was afraid I'd lose my balance. What a joke (Ha!), I couldn't have gone any where if I had! Planes are cattle cars now. . .it's a wonder that we all don't just lose it entirely. That poor soul who was the third person on our row at the window. . .we could have easily just done away with him when he was irritating and no one the wiser. They obviously don't like you to walk down the aisle or stand a bit at the end. They want you in your seat, tied in with that dreadful seat belt, so they can keep you in control. Who knows when the little old lady with the cane (which they don't like either) will suddenly turn into a monster and start beating others with her cane because they can walk and she can't. You can never know what these Bone Smart people will do. Such an unpredictable lot!

Anyway, now we are here with no real damage beyond stiff joints, change of timing (meds are all messed up) and sleep deprivation. I am reading some of the threads of hip replacements that happened about the same as mine and it's hard not to compare myself with those who are walking unassisted. My recovery plateau continues to stretch on, interfered with by ice and snow and trips to San Diego. I'm sort of looking forward to seeing what PT is going to say about my progress so far. I am trusting that hips do get better without all the nonsense of tending to "muscle weakness" and time will take care of recovery. Patience and more patience is obviously needed.

Give yourself a break, woman! Not everyone went thru the maelstrom you did in the 2 years before surgery - you can't expect to recover at the same rate. You are doing fabulous and its so great to see you traveling and having a good time. Enjoy your trip!

Enjoy your time and don’t worry about other stuff. You are in San Diego and going on a cruise. I am sitting waiting for another ice and snow storm and temps dropping next week. I don’t have a cane, you do. I prefer your setup right now!

Hi sweet, @zinnia
It will all fall into place in due time.
Believe that! In the meantime enjoy your trip, it sounds fab!
Best wishes for a wonderful vacation in the glorious sunshine! :SUNsmile:

Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Zinnia does San Diego...sounds like a movie title.
Enjoy your trip....

There's my cheering section up there. . .won't make it without them!

It's been mayhem today. . .the wedding day. Last minute stuff. Quite lovely. I don't know why the brides maids wore the fake fun shoulder pieces though. A fine crew of young people in this wedding.

Making a trek to Balboa Park today. The weather is gorgeous. The scenery full of beautiful color. Maybe the Zoo, the art museum and lunch. The park is immense; I will be getting in some walking which I badly need. The knee is responding to the rest periods but still stiff and painful when walking. No pain in the hip. At all.

Taking some down time to go back into some threads I want to read. You guys are an amazing group, survivors all.

Been a long time since I have been to balboa park. Enjoy it @zinnia but don’t forget to rest. Very happy to hear no hip pain! Glad wedding was enjoyable, I have given up figuring out fashion-as long as bride was happy with it. Enjoy your day!

Thanks @MammaT. I know, the bride's dress was a little funky too but she and everyone was joyful. It was a real party.
I walked around before the wedding introducing myself as the groom's step mother and talking a bit with each. Husband and sister in law on a errand. I was exhausted by the end of the wedding and took to my bed for several hours. Talking to people I don't know tires me out. I woke up just in time to sign the marriage certificate.

I love Balboa too. . .have you ever been to the little craft village there. I always end up with a pair of earrings. We'll see if my favorite restaurant is open for lunch. Secret. . .looking forward to the cruise.

Yay! @zinnia
It sounds like you're faring well. Happy to hear it.
Don't want you to see you drained / exhausted.

Weddings are great, always a happy time. Glad you enjoyed it!
As for the fur wraps maybe just like we say "it's five o clock somewhere" when we want a cocktail at three,
the bride figured "its Winter somewhere" even though it was probably full sun and in the 70's!

It seems you have a lovely day planned....Enjoy it!

Well, running a 100 degree temp this pm. We go on the cruise Monday. Just finished a round of cqphalexin 500mg 4 x day and a probiotic for some redness in 2 places along the incision that he thought were two knots under the skin that may be irritated. But now, the day started fine but gradually I got really weak, no appetite, and gradually this fever rose up. T

Two nurses here in the family, two aspirins, some ice packs, in the bed relaxing. We'll see. Stress?

Could be stress, could be something picked up on airplane. I often get sinus stuff after traveling. Maybe a trip to urgent care to check before getting on cruise? Hope temp stays down today.

Aww, Zinnia
What sad news to read. I hope today finds you feeling better, not worse.

Such a difficult time to dodge all that's floating around this time of year.
You've been around so many people in the past few days with the airports, plane,
wedding reception and now upcoming cruise. Hopefully it's just a light cold and nothing more.
You mentioned stress.....it can definitely wear our immune system down. Let us know how you're doing.
Feel better! Sending a hug your way @zinnia

My nurse on duty, sister-in-law, has me on Mucinex every 8 hrs with aspirin in-between, chicken soup from a Jewish deli nearby, absolutely no sightseeing today (in bed resting), lots of fluids and vitamin C. I have nasal congestion but nothing in the chest except a light cough. How does that sound @MammaT?

I am worn out, I'll admit it. Could hardly move around yesterday. And why do they make those benches in museums so low. . .I know I broke the 90 degree restriction getting up off that dang thing. A bit of a groin pain today too. So there it is, @Layla, even people in museums and the info today that the incidence of flu is up in SD.
Tomorrow we get on a boat with thousands of other people. . .I think I want to come home! This "vacation" is over!

Thank you both for the concern. No temp today so I think I'm already on the mend.

I hope your room has a balcony-you can rest there, enjoy the cruise and not be around so many people. Participate in what you feel up to @zinnia but don't feel obligated to do everything!:fingersx:

Oh Zinnia, I'm a little worried.
Please don't push yourself in an effort to meet others expectations, if you're tired.
If you're sick, you're sick and you need rest. I would imagine you're longing for
the comfort of your own bed and home right about now. I feel really bad for you.

About 10 yrs ago hubby and I had this lovely trip planned to Captiva, FL
One day into our vacay I became sicker than a dog. It literally clobbered me over the head during a car ride
back to our place after lunch. I thought I had food poisoning until other symptoms quickly manifested.
I spent the entire rest of the trip in bed! I always laugh about it now and refer to it as the trip where
I was held captive in Captiva (in bed) Never even saw the place, didn't care either, I was too sick. We even
re-scheduled our outgoing flight to a day later because I knew I didn't have the energy to schlep through the airport. I'd hate to see you experience anything like that. The flu is rampant everywhere currently.
Please take care and get all the rest you can! :mcoffee: Keep in touch if you're able, I'm concerned.
Hugs :console2:

@zinnia

Oh @zinnia I hope you’re soon on the mend. I think rest, rest, rest is the order of the day. Hopefully you’ll be able to find a quiet area on deck (if you feel up to it) and lie watching the world sail by :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

It will be good to be here in this comfy house when it gets quiet after everyone else goes out to Old Town for lunch. I am forcing fluids, resting, on aspirin and Mucinex; not sight seeing today, @MammaT. Not up to it. No fever today, no congestion, no headache. No indication that things will get worse, @Layla. I intend to find a nice sunny spot either in our stateroom or on deck and nap and read and watch the world go by @Jackie222.

Feeling better today. Thank heaven.

Proud of how sensible you’re being @zinna. Maybe sit out in the sun a bit.

:hi: Hi sweet Zinnia
Hey...great signs, no congestion, fever or headache :yes!: Maybe all your rest is paying off. Sure hope so.
As long as you'll be able to rest on the cruise and not be tempted to be a wild woman :heehee: I'll bet you beat it.
How lucky having nurses in the family to watch over you and offer lots of TLC.
Hope you continue to rest and feel better!
@zinnia

Hope you are all good Zinnia.
That energy drain can make an otherwise great experience very taxing.
Take care of yourself and get some pampering done maybe...
Come back safe and healthy!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
kneequery
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom