Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

Whoa....watch out, she's on the loose...
What great news! @zinnia
Hair appt, out to lunch with friends, driving to PT. Sounds like a success story in the making, dear one.
I'll bet you're all ready to rock n roll by that exciting cruise to Alaska in mid-June.
What a great honor / reward for hubby's volunteer work.

Lucky you, that you can garden in February. We're not until May up here in the frozen tundra.
You have a lot of living to look forward to, warms my heart.

Best wishes, lots of love and a big hug to you!
 
Hi @Descant, I have done some research over here and can't find Sudacrem or another name that it might be under here in the states. Would love to find it. This "redness" is going down slowly but using the turmeric made such a mess I reduced it to just honey and even that is a bit annoying so I'd love to find something over the counter I could use. I'll keep looking.

Sorry you have to wait another 3 weeks for your appointment. That's a bummer. But if that redness of your's goes away and then returns it can't be much of anything, do you think? I think mine is from pants going up and down, sitting a great deal, not enough icing, etc. It is subsiding at a very slow pace but subsiding none the less.

I am not up to even thinking about the cruise in June. It was my choice between Alaska or Hawaii or the Caribbean. I've always wanted to see something of Alaska, the glaciers before they are gone. We walked on a glacier when we were in New Zealand but it has receded so it can't be reached now. But those glaciers in Alaska must be something. I love Hawaii but it awaits us next year. Yes, we are lucky. But he puts in a great deal of time and study to do this work and this is a gift in return.

I am so anxious to get my restrictions removed in time for gardening. I want to get down on my hands and knees and put my hands in the dirt. I can't wait. But I have some raised gardens in my green house that wait for some attention as well.

But how are you doing in your recovery other than the redness issue? Hugs.:flwrysmile:
 
I love my coconut oil...use for everything..apply when skin damp and absorbs right in.
My skin is sensitive and dry...it's a big help.
Got rid of my bumpy elbows too!
I get large tub of organic...cook with, deep condition hair, incision smoother...smells lovely.
 
Last edited:
Hi @zinnia. Looking on USA Amazon, I would say that judging from the reviews, that Terrasil (or Brave Soldier Antiseptic Healing Ointment) is equally as good as Sudacrem.

At least your redness is going down. I have to stop myself checking too frequently and try to do it no more than 6 hourly.

One night In the first week after surgery as I was getting into bed, I noticed that my knee was absolutely bright red. Really quite shocking. I slept hardly a wink all night and I couldn’t understand why I could get an infected knee after hip surgery. Imagine my surprise in the morning to find it normal colour. I then realised that my bedside light had shone through the bright red toddler drinking cup (that I was using for water) and onto my knee as I was getting into bed.

Don’t go too soon into bending down for gardening Zinnia since it seems to be a common story for mishaps.

My GP has given me 9 x 2mg Valium tablets “just to try and break the cycle of spasms”. I was hoping for more than that but am grateful all the same.
 
Well that's too funny, @Descant. . .but a fright none the less. Not exactly a ha ha moment at the time. A bright red knee. According to all the stories I've read, strange things do happen with hip surgery.

I did go on Amazon too and found that Sudacrem is basically zinc oxide for diaper rash. I settled on one with calendula and all natural. Some people say they use it on their face! I did use it on my kids and the stuff works. Anxious to get it.

Oh no, I won't be getting down on my knees before I'm allowed. I have a couple of low benches I can sit on and my son gave me a great garden tool that is long with a wonderful claw at the end for weeds and planting. I don't want a dislocation or to endanger this recovery. No worries there. I also have raised gardens in my green house.

I hope the Valium works for you. I guess he's assuming that that's enough to break that cycle. So does that happen periodically then? How awful for you. More than annoying, I'm sure. . .those spasms can really hurt. Let me know how that goes.

Other than that you are doing well then? We are close in our surgery dates. You have "MIS" after yours; what does that mean?

My step daughter is coming for a visit this weekend. I'd best get to putting some items from our trip away and tidy up the house a bit. Made some potato and cheese soup last night with enough for tonight as well.

Have a fine day. No spasms and the redness goes away entirely never to return. Hugs. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Mojo333, I do use the coconut cream, Palmer's big tub of the darn stuff. I thought that might be what was breaking me out in this rash I have around the incision but it is going down, very slowly, but down and away I hope. I think it's an irritant from the glue they use. Stuff is flaking off there as it heals more deeply. But the redness is a bit scary. Where do you get your oil, Mojo?

I hope I'm good people. You sure are. What would I do without you and @Layla? Wouldn't be here that's for sure.
PT today. He's going to add some stuff. Did the exercise he gave me. No trouble. It's a modified crab but on my back and not on my side. I hated that exercise. He is afraid I will dislocate if I do it on my side besides the fact that I told him I won't do it anyway. Today may make it or break it. I only have 12 sessions so if he concentrates on my weak spots. . .my butt basically, then maybe we are okay. Anxious to see.

I didn't make lunch last week; everyone was so busy we couldn't settle on a day. Next week I think it will work. There are 4 of us in this lunch group; we are the ladies that lunch or the mafia group. Actually there are 5 of us but the fifth lives in Australia trying to get back into the United States. I live in a small town 45 minutes away from the ocean it is easy to get known around here. Did get my hair done though.

Oh how I love you guys. Saved my life; yes, you saved my life. Thank you for being who you are, both of you, all of you!:roseshwr:
 
Back at you, Zinnia. Your experience has given many with revision surgery ahead of them or behind them tons of inspiration.

After getting expensive bits of coconut oil from health food stores and the like, the US has gotten on a kick with alternative cooking oils.
I found a massive tub of Organic Coconut oil, naturally refined and I keep it in my fridge. Same stuff, way cheaper.
I found it rather greasy at first, but realised with a little moisture it soaks in perfectly. That's the secret, add dab of water or use just out of shower!
I'm dry dry dry, and super sensitive to laundry soaps or anything with perfumes or additives. Can't really afford expensive alternatives, so those has been great for me.
Hope PT goes well...you are such a bright spot on this site!
 
Well. . .PT yesterday, an hour of stretching, balancing on foam squares to improve gait issues. Some light exercises to "build" the gluteus maximus and all the little items right in there. That's the main weakness with me plus the balance issue. A bit of walking sidewise on the parallel bars, ending up with 15 minutes on the New Step at #4 power. No pain, no soreness today at all. I did ice and elevate for about an hour and that has obviously helped.

So far so good. Five weeks to go at 2x a week. We'll see if I last that long. Tired today though. Busy day yesterday what with PT, making soup and step daughter coming to visit for the weekend. I've also been up since 4:30am. So there's that.

I'm driving well, walking a farther distance on the cane but just short of walking unassisted without a limp or dropping the right hip. Not exactly where I would like to be but it's progress; nothing wrong with progress.

Hope everyone is doing well.
 
I think you are doing splendidly...Zinnia.
I get that it may seem slow to you and times, but you are one of my heroes!
Gonna keep getting better!:egypdance:
 
Where the heck do you want to be? You already amaze me! Before I opened it, I was thinking about how your thread needs to be renamed - it should focus on how far you've come and how well you're doing now. Maybe "Third time's the Charm"
 
You are doing so well @zinnia. Your positive attitude is uplifting. I think you are having a very genteel, refined southern lady recovery- slow and stately!
 
Hey my sweet, Zinnia.
You're doing so well! It warms my heart daily. While we're still in touch, it's a great feeling to feel the leash has lengthened. I know you understand I'm saying that in love. I realize I did some heavy breathing down your neck in those very early days. We so wanted to see you get this right, after all of your suffering.

When I think back to your posts of months ago, pre-revision with the stress and hopelessness you were feeling....I'm thankful and amazed!

You've come so far in a short amount of time. A successful surgery, gentle PT that you are commandeering.
Cooperative therapists, wonderful vacations, humor intact. You are thriving! Not only are you thriving
but kindly and generously coming alongside others who are facing revision or expressing a sense of hopelessness that you are so keenly tuned into. Running to help and console in any way you can. You are a wonderfully beautiful spirit and I feel blessed to have connected with you. May you continue to shine!
@zinnia
 
I think you are having a very genteel, refined southern lady recovery- slow and stately!
Zinnia, we are so going to throw that back on MammaT in a few weeks.
She knows don't nobody wanna be
"Slow and Stately"
:loll:
 
Super big thanks to you all, @MammaT, don't consider myself the Southern Lady type, didn't spring from no Tara, yaw'll. But I accept the picture of southern pride. Gentility is a good thing.
You are correct, @Mojo333, I am more the honkey tonk type than the slow and stately type, although I will take, gentility.
What do I want, @SaraK? If there is an honest answer to that, I'd like everyone on this planet to be okay. But that's too corny so I can boil it down to, a few years walking on my own strength again among the people I love so much. But. . .you are right. . .and I settle, at this moment, for just exactly where, as quite a lucky duck, I am.
And then there is where I am right now, talking to you guys. . .so with all my heart, you have changed my life around. @Layla breathing down my neck, Josephine and Jaycey helping me see the light of recovery was real if I took charge of my own wellness. And everyone else who has been willing to entertain a comment of concern and/or encouragement for me. The forum has been my stomping ground since after my first revision. It is where I have taken the strength of others to heart and made my own path to recovery.
But I'm not going anywhere. I will need you all from now on, you will not be rid of me.
Love you guys.
Nancy :roseshwr:
 
Not too bad @zinna. Doing some house chores (like cleaning living room rug) that I have been putting off because I knew it would aggravate hip, I and I was right. But since surgery is a week from Monday, I can tolerate it.

And by the way, I think the slow, stately look is cool. It is poised, in control, and doesn’t let life knock it down.
 
Oh, Zinnia
I have a strong feeling you'd be in the same place even if you
were on your own. Strength and determination is how you arrived where you are.
We only cheered from the sidelines. You did it yourself!
@zinnia
 
Zinnia I love reading your thread besides helping me through my own you leave me with such inspiration for how well you are doing. I look forward to doing as well as you. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom