Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

I've been going back and reading other updates on recoveries from various surgeries and discovered a fair amount of talk about spinal anesthesia. Most of the discussions were concerns about being aware of what they would hear or even see. I had a spinal with sedation. By the time I was on the table and they were bending me the way they needed me to be for the spinal I was about gone. . .I don't remember the needle at all and I certainly don't remember any bones crunching or cracking or saws, etc. a la gross. I understand that everyone is different, but I can't imagine anyone not succumbing to the sedation (basically valium in my case) fully. Even if you did wake up, I assume that sedation would render you so close to unconsciousness that you wouldn't be able to respond to or remember any of the grossness you wanted to avoid. That's just my assumption, naturally. The value of spinal to me was the avoidance of nausea and the ability to come out of sedation more comfortably than general. That mattered to me a great deal and I wanted to put in a good word for the spinal approach.
 
I don't want to be needling you @zinnia It's just that I care. Many of us do. You are a sweetheart and have
had a rough road getting to this point. It truly feels like you are finally on the right path and it's like an alarm goes off it it looks like you may be veering off. This is all about you but I guess I needed reassurance you're still committed to taking it slow and easy. You've convinced me....so I'm happy! :ok: :yay::egypdance:
So now I'll stop breathing down your neck.....well, just for today anyway :heehee:
Sending lots of love and a warm hug :loveshwr:

Loved your joke above about "Now.....party time".... haha!
 
You deserve all good healing.
I'm happy you are happy.
We are all heroes in our own right, but you are a poster child for NEVER GIVING UP.
Onward and upward:egypdance:
 
@zinnia thank you so much for your good wishes. I find your journey so inspiring. Thanks also on feedback regarding spinal and sedation. I think that is route for me in February. It seems the post surgical nausea gets worse with every surgery and hearing the positive experiences of others gives me courage. Slow nd easy goes the recovery!
 
Hope today is a great day @zinnia
A flower :flwrysmile: and a hug :console2: for you!
 
Dear sweet @Layla, please do not stop "breathing down my neck". If you go back to the beginning of my voyage on Bone Smart, Josephine was practically yelling at me to come around to the truth of the matter. Well, I have come full circle and I'm not going back. You and everyone of Bone Smart plus Ms Josephine have brought me around. And to tell the truth, I have a PT guy who is on my side. I've been in so many out patient, in house, PT sessions that did me absolutely no good, in fact, probably caused the femur fracture. I will not go back; by the time Andy lets me go I will be good shape and headed in the right direction. And I"m sure he will leave me with an exercise program I an follow or modify to my liking. But there is always the Bone Smart mantra that the hip needs nothing more than regular daily activity and walking to bring it home to complete healing and I like that idea the best. So, please, breath down my neck. It feels good. You and everyone on BS have gotten me to this point; keep pushing me toward success.
:loveshwr::ok:
 
Hi @mojo, keep it up. Your encouragement is so welcome. You are a hero that inspired and continues to inspire me. You are such a believer and you present your case so lovingly. Thank you for being you. :flwrysmile:You deserve the bouquet!
 
I was afraid I would over step my bounds; but I had such a surprisingly good experience with the spinal and sedation, I wanted to share it. If you go that way I hope you have as pleasant an experience as I did @MammaT. Please let me know how it goes for you.:ok:
 
Thanks for sharing your experience with spinal and sedation. This topic is one of the hardest for some newbies to get their head around. They fear the spinal more than the actual op (I know I did). It's great to hear the positive experiences and the benefits of this approach.
 
We're not going anywhere @zinnia.
We love you :loveshwr: You've got us hooked!
As long as you don't mind me breathing down your neck
I'll continue to do it only if I think you're getting off track.
Otherwise it's all love, hugs and support.
You're doing great! So happy for you...
 
@zinnia- I certainly don’t think anyone is stepping over bounds when they are sharing their own experiences. There are many diffferent approaches to all of this- I need to hear the various options so I can make the best decision for me. Have a restful evening.
 
@Layla. Things perking along here. Am walking between the walker and a cane now, as needed. Not with the cane outside yet. Pretty darn strong for a week and 1/2 post surgery. I feel great; rest when I tire with lots of ice and legs elevated. I am still wearing compression sox. I've had only a suggestion of swelling in my upper thigh. Still no appreciable pain; a little soreness at the incision site (which looks great) but that's it. I do the very light exercises, ankle pumps, etc. 2x daily; walk outside twice, increasing the distance a little every 2 days. I made mashed potatoes for dinner last night and am spending my "up" times "tidying up" around the house. .Don't think you'll find too much to breath down my neck about. I'll just take the love, hugs and support and the bouncing people, thank you.
@Jaycey I was very apprehensive about the spinal as well. I really wanted to try it out though. I don't respond too badly to general either; it was the thought that I'd come out of the cloud sooner with more clarity. And I did. That's an added bonus too. It was just a few minutes after surgery that I woke up asking how long I had been in recovery. It was less than an hour before they moved me to my room. In fact, they had to hold on to me because they didn't have a room yet. Down side. . .the pain hit me sooner with a real fierceness nothing could touch for about 8 hours or so until the pain "bomb" took hold.
@MammaT Always appreciate your supporting words. Let's have tea sometime; we can talk more shop.
 
Last edited:
I always check the new posts and today there was @Layla, my sweet Layla, and since I want to know what you each went through, I started with your thread. I am up to your 8th day, I believe. Strange and wonderful, actually, how different we all are. We all seem to have remarkable husbands tho. But the response to receiving a new hip through surgery is also remarkable. You had one that I found particularly touching. . .the loss of your birth hip. Then I had to put that together with the "potty" mouth in the recovery room! What fun I got out of that. From tears to laughing out loud. I am looking forward to reading the rest of this adventure.
 
Awww, precious, Zinnia....You made me cry....sweet happy tears. I found your post very touching.
I've so enjoyed getting to know you a bit in all of this. Feeling your discouragement, sharing sadness
in your fears, finding relief as you strengthend your resolve. You've grown in the short time since we began communicating. You've been through so much and it was heartbreaking to feel your discouragement.
But....that has all changed and you've emerged stronger and renewed with a beautiful example of a journey that will inspire many. Just imagine those you could offer hope to through your wisdom and experience. I hope you plan to stick around BS for a time so we can continue to share in your progress.
Selfish reasons too.....I'd miss you.
Sending love, a warm hug and wishes for a weekend filled with all things good :loveshwr:
@zinnia
 
Hey lady. I've been back and forth.
How are you....so glad you are doing well.
Shame on me for not checking on you...
My halo is hanging low today as I've had some crazy folks to deal with today at Food Bank.
Good for you getting on so well.
:loveshwr:
 
@Mojo333 Have missed you. Glad to have your cheerfulness back for a bit. Your halo is standing tall as it always is apparently. The Food Bank can have you for a time though, I guess. Golly, you people are so good!
Also missing @Irish Joe and
@Susan209 Wondering how she is. I'll have to check on all of you guys.
@Bumblebee flitted in here once in awhile. I have a lot of threads to get acquainted with.
 
Yes, I do tend to "flitter around":heehee:....so much to read here. I have enjoyed everyones story.
Sorry, I don't engage much in all the light hearted banter, I do enjoy reading it though.:) :-) (:
 
I enjoy seeing @Bumblee flit around too @zinnia
Her avatar inspires happiness and cheer :yes:

Just wanted to give you a high five on the inspirational post to chalcedonian1
I sympathize with her struggles as I know you understand through experience.
Your words were meaningful and I'm sure reassuring to her.

Wanted to say :hi: and wish you a wonderful weekend of continued recovery :flwrysmile:
 
@Layla Continuing to read your journey as you traveled into the light on the other side of pain. Good feeling, Huh?
But who was breathing down your neck? I gasped seeing the exercises you were doing at home 1st week post op. Yikes! That would kill me! But here I am walking on the cane around the house getting better and better at it, no limp, no pain. I am awed at how true all the BoneSmart information you and @mojo and many others have coached me on,:reindeerlights: works. It works! And your preaching it to me has rewarded me with walking like a human being. I had to laugh at your description of the contortion you went through getting into your SUV. Very similar to mine. How much our experiences are the same and how much they are, at the same time, different. It is with a certain satisfaction that I read the threads of other BS members. Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas Everyone!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom