Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

Hi @zinnia
I hope you had a good weekend...
Hahaha! Who was breathing down my neck over exercising you asked. No one. I guess I lucked out.

I was a lurker on the site for months but all I really paid attention to and searched out was
stories of those who were anxious about surgery and how they coped, or I'd read how they triumphed.
I didn't pay any attention to exercise, or the advice not to. Couldn't have told you what was recommended.
I really can't recall if I read the material I received from BS early on. I was relieved to have surgery behind me and to be home. My concentration was horrible in those very early days! I couldn't retain much. I was doing the exercises the PT at the surgery center sent home with me.

As I began perusing BS daily and reading over and over again the exercises weren't necessary, I quit doing them. The only time I overdid was on day 12 post op. It was a weekend and a lot of my family members were visiting. I began practicing with the cane and I overdid! I'm sure it was just too much, too soon with the gait change between walker and cane. I think after a night of sleep and ice I was pretty much back to normal.

Hope you're still seeing improvement.
Best wishes for a great week! I'll be back peeking in here and there, so no misbehaving!
 
Hi Zinnia. Hope your weekend was restful. I did some OS prescribed PT very early on and all it did was keep things aggravated. Plus the therapists were very clinical and nonresponsive to my feedback. By that time I was bonesmarting enough to have the Big Tip engrained into my brain and the - if it hurts don't do it. I think at 7 or 8 weeks I opted to go to a PT that I was familiar with pre-op, set down some strict rules...mainly to do some light stretching and work on my gait.
I accepted exercises I knew were helpful so could do at home...and left the resistance bands and the rest alone.
That newly revised hip needs lots of time to settle, I think.
Do what you are doing...I think that's perfect.
Hope you have a Good Day.
 
In the end, the choice of physical therapist is like the choice of surgeon. If you don't choose one with the right experience and philosophy, PT can go very wrong. I've been lucky to work with a therapist who believes in gentle stretching in the beginning, cycling, walking and targeted exercises to improve what's affecting your gait or to get you to your target. Knowing that I had a goal of driving early because of going back to work, we worked on a few things last week that helped me get there. Above all else, if something hurts, he doesn't want me to do it. If I'm hurting from overdoing it, he tells me to shut it all down for a day or two until everything settles.

PT may not be for everyone but, with the right therapist, I think it can be helpful.
 
Ah Miss @Layla, what a breath of fresh air you are. . .had to laugh at your comment, "so no misbehaving!".
I am behaving myself :angel:entirely, but yesterday the blues set in and some pain started up. I was walking on the cane about the house and something in my buttocks set off a sharp pain and I felt a POP! What was that? After that no pain, nothing. It scared me, in fact I was terrified that maybe I had dislocated again. In fact, every moment I expect a disaster, frankly. :gaah:But no, it was fine except for mystery pains that keep cropping up. First in one place, then in another. Took my first Percocet yesterday and then to sleep. Truth be told, my daughter's visit over the weekend, though it was pure delight to have her, exhausted me. I dropped into bed and slept the night through. All things better today. And I know I will walk, just not quite yet. Fun to hear about the exercising you and @Mojo333 and @SaraK have done/are doing. Luckily, I was schooled by you all to follow the BS philosophy and I have done it to the letter so far. :tada: My PT has me on ankle pumps, often; thigh isometrics; glute isometrics, heels slides, leg lifts from the knee, gentle knee lifts standing with a leg lift back; gentle abduction standing; walking twice a day outside, extending every two days. What do you think about that. I balked at the abduction at first :yahoo:until he told me it was not necessary to do it past discomfort but it helped to seat the acetabular implant (as does the slight knee lift standing). Plus I get up every hour or so to walk, doing some activity, but move. I am pleased. :loveshwr:No appreciable pain this am. But I have a question of all who are reading this. . .I want to go to my family's Christmas which is a 5 hour drive from where I live to my son's home. My PT says it will not cause any thing to go wrong but be ready for more pain from the car ride, even if we stop and I get out to walk and stretch a bit every hour. I won't be driving and the car allows for my legs to stretch out and be elevated a bit. What do you think? :hi: I love hearing about everyone's journey. It is such a blessing to have Bone Smart to go to and find you all here. Joy and peace to you All. :flwrysmile:
 
I was prepared @SaraK to say "NO" to a PT who was too aggressive because you are correct, I think, the PT is essential to recovery and the wrong approach can do harm that could cause a nightmare recovery. Luckily, my OS wrote a script for home PT for 12 visits or until he felt I was ready to advance to outpatient (which I will not be going to regardless). :bignono:Andy is just the person I needed. Walking is his main direction with just very gentle exercises which are designed to stabilize the implant and to help me keep a fluid movement while walking. He is perfect for me. He listens to my concerns and addresses my past experiences with PT. He pretty much follows the BS philosophy so I count myself a lucky camper. You also are lucky to have such a responsive and attentive PT who has given you a real personal approach. :yes!: Bone Smart has instructed me that you have to be ready to say no to an approach that will take you adrift from their philosophy and I buy it entirely now. I really appreciate your chiming in with your experience. Everyone's journey instructs me in mine. Hope you continue to reach your goals. Wishing you all the best for the season:reindeerlights:.
 
And there's my @Mojo333, what would I do without you! :loveshwr:My first revision besides being a nightmare in and of itself was also a PT nightmare. The final blow was when they put me on the leg press. I remember feeling at the time, why am I doing this. It felt so wrong. That was the day I went home, walked unassisted from my kitchen to the living room, heard a POP and my leg went out from under me. I had fractured the femur. Of course, I was never going to heal the surgery because it was wrong. I am amazed that you, with a bilateral, (which I can't even get my mind around. How brave are you!) did all that and made it into recovery at all. You are one courageous soul and an inspiration to me. I do believe that somehow we all have to design our own PT and hope above all hopes that we get someone who will work within our personal needs. I will always try to follow the BS philosophy because I know it works, using my own needs as an additional guide. So far they coincide for me. I do also believe that it is as @SaraK said, PT is as important as the surgery for a successful journey through recovery. You are still on yours and here you are instructing me and others as you go along. I find you people just amazing. Thanks for sticking with me. Hope you have a great week full of all the moments you hope for. :flwrysmile:
 
I want to go to my family's Christmas which is a 5 hour drive from where I live to my son's home.
You will be just under one month out at Christmas. The long drive may be very tough as sitting for any length of time usually bothers most new hippies. Then there is the fatigue. These activities tire us when we are at our best. Having just had major surgery you will need to be able to rest.

Will you stay overnight or do you have to make the 5 hour drive twice in one day?
 
Thanks, @Jaycey for such a quick response. No, we will be there about 3 or 4 days and we have a room to ourselves with a new bed in it where I can retreat any time I want. Plus children and grand children who are adult enough to bring my whatever I command. I am sort of a matriarch in my family. Also my husband is a concerned attendant to me. I know it will be tiring; I was hoping that stopping every hour, though adding to time of the travel, would alleviate any stiffness I will suffer. To miss Christmas with my kids would be crushing for me. On the other hand, after a 2 year battle to get to this stage of recovery, I don't want to jeopardize the success of this surgery.
My PT knows my ability level and my strength and progress so far. He says the same as you. And you don't seem to think it would damage the hip, jus be worried about fatigue?
 
And you don't seem to think it would damage the hip
Not at all. Are you on any restrictions? That might be another challenge.

Buy some of those instant ice packs. You can get them on the internet or in sports stores. That way you will always have ice - even in the car.

To be honest, I moved house at 4 weeks out from my RTHR and had to make the 6 hour drive myself. I did stop at regular intervals and was very tired once I got to my new home. But it was not half as bad as I imagined. Enjoy your family time!
 
Thanks, @Jaycey. I appreciate your candor. We were planning on carrying a whole lot of ice packs in a cooler plus I already have some of those instant ice packs as well. That was quite the trip you made all by yourself and driving as well. I think the key will be to stop every hour, ice and have room enough to stretch out and elevate the legs. And I can do that and rest to my heart's content when we arrive. Thanks so much. To have your approval means a great deal.:egypdance:I wish you and yours a very Happy Holiday:wreath:.
 
Hi @zinnia
It's so heartwarming to hear how well you're doing. I feel assured given your strong resolve you'll do it right this time. I'm confident the pay back will be big!

I clearly recall the weird pains and sensations that crop up in those early days and weeks. Usually not severe and short lived. It's normal.

I think it's wonderful you have an opportunity to spend Christmas with family.
You'll be almost a month post op. I guess if you feel you can tolerate the car ride, with several stretching / walking breaks... and your PT who's witnessing your progress and realizes your limitations feels you can handle it, I'd say go for it! Some advice though, take it or leave it....I was super uncomfortable in the car beyond about 30 minutes, up until recently. What worked for me in the first couple months was ice. I'd bring an ice pack and situate it under my seat belt over my incision and it really helped. I strongly advise you consider it. You could bring a small cooler with some of those gel packs.

I have to say that I'm so proud of you sticking to your guns and not overdoing the PT! It's been a long journey and it's wonderful to see things looking up for you. I have a love for you Zinnia, you're a delightful sweetheart.
I hope you have a wonderful week!
 
Ok...I guess you got the message BRING ICE, haha!
I didn't notice Jaycey's post above mine but I guess it's just more re-enforcement.
In case you didn't get it yet (now I'm laughing for real) BRING ICE :rotfl:
Hugs :loveshwr:
:ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice::ice:
 
In addition to any other ice packs, grab one or two of the old-fashioned ice bags with the screw lid. You can stop at virtually any gas station or fast food place and refill with ice.

We'll be driving 4 hours to my mom's for Christmas at the 3 week point (and I may be doing a lot of the driving). I decided to keep the compression cuffs an extra week and use those during the drive and plan to have an icepack behind me the entire time on the road!
 
Oh @zinnia. I'm so excited for you.
The trip most likely will cause some discomfort here and there but you'll take care and oh what a great time it will be.
I am still slightly paranoid as I slid on a piece of cardboard today and almost did a split and decided to just sit down hard on my rear...I have plenty of padding so hopefully no worries there.
Got to admit it frightened me though. Honestly, I am so delighted with how things have been going I just don't want to mess it up.
You are truly one of the bravest ladies I know, and so inspirational to all that don't have that perfect recovery the first time around.
You make sure you are extra mindful of your situation because I will not be happy if you have issues. Behave!!:friends:
 
Last edited:
Awww @zinnia, Xmas with the family. That’s lovely. Do enjoy!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like you are planning the trip well. Follow the excellent advice here and enjoy the good time- you have more than earned it.
 
Falling is a big NO, NO! @Mojo333 :bignono: :gaah: even if it is on the rear. :groan:No more slipping on cardboard. What's that cardboard doing there anyway? I know it must have scared you a lot. Of course you don't want to mess up your amazing recovery. I'm still reeling from the idea of a bilateral. I am on the cane a great deal of the time inside and out and I am petrified. . .even though I am doing well, the hip feels solid and steady. Yes, I am very excited that I can go to family Christmas. It's always quite a production. I will be loaded down with lots of pillows and ice, take the time to stop about every hour or when I just can't stand it anymore. I may have to share the back seat with Lulu our dog. We can manage that. :dancing:
 
:)Oh your hubby. Driving Miss Lulu (and Zinnia)
Boxes in room where we sort bread we pick up for local distributor. Just careless on my part. But yeah, no falling down and going boom! You either!
My thigh is really burning but just muscle I'm sure.
Have a super good day, super star!:SUNsmile:
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the Christmas cheer. That's a good idea, @SaraK to grab those old fashioned ice bags and fill along the way. You have your trip well planned. And, yes, @Layla, I will try that trick of yours with the seat belt; good thought. I hate seat belts anyway and I hadn't thought about it being an irritant to the incision. @MammaT, thanks for your good wishes. I'm proud of us all for being strong enough to get to this point. :wow: I treasure your comments and I am wishing you good luck in February. @Susan209 I believe there will be a sneaky drink or two as well. What does Christmas look like way over in Australia? I know it's warm, no snow for you. I prefer the sunshine myself. I wish you all the best of the best. You're all top notch. You all deserve big breaks and wonderful holidays. :gbh:
 
Last edited:
Oh lovely @Layla. . .you and brave @Mojo333 have stuck with me from forever it feels like. And I pack away all your comments for the bad times so I can reread and review them. They cheer me up when I feel sorry for myself and/or angry at the first surgeon who bungled those first two surgeries. You help me get past that and move on. I am prepared for the ramifications from riding in the car for 5 hours. As long as it is not damaging to the surgery then I will take on the extra pain and discomfort; even the exhaustion it may cause me to get to my kids for Christmas. They are so good to me and Christmas is a big production. I will load up with ice and pillows and advice from everyone and take off. :santa sleigh:It will all be so worth it. You do not have to be concerned. I am so deeply a believer in the Bone Smart way now. My PT told me I had reached my goals so he was passing me on to outpatient PT. I told him I wasn't going and why. Bottom line he is staying with me for a few more visits so he can help me on my way to walking on my own. He'll have to stretch a point or two to do that. Nice of him. But then I'll be on my own with the Bone Smart philosophy. I'm there; believe me. You're such a dear, Layla, so caring. I am awed by all you sweet people gathering together on this site. I worry about you guys too though. I read your threads and some of your stories are horrifying. But there you are, my sweet Layla always cheering us all on. Thank you a hundred ways. Your are a star in my life always shining on me. :roseshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom