Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

The genteel look includes a cool and stately presence @MammaT. So I do, indeed, buy the image of being poised and in charge of my recovery. Indeed you did cheer from the sidelines, @Layla, but I didn't do this without a whole lot of experience passed on to me with love and concern. Strength and determination will not serve you without being backed by encouragement and trust. It does come down to personal responsibility, of course, but it takes important help to give you the confidence you need to do it yourself.
 
Last edited:
Good morning All. I hope Everyone is cheery this morning. It's gray and rainy here. So I will have to make my own sunshine as my Nana used to say. She was such a cheerful lady. Memories!
I have very little of interest to report on this hip. A bit of groin pain last night. The incision is still sort of reddish in places but faded quite a bit. I now have the Sudacrem or what passes for it in the U.S. It feels a bit swollen this am so I am sitting on ice and elevated. A bit of burning last night. All very boring.
Still not walking on my own. I have a bit of a limp and it's a very clunky walk when I do walk w/o assistance. But PT today; working on balance issues. I have to admit I am not doing the exercises at home. . .yet. But I am walking 20 minutes a day outside in my neighborhood with the rotator walker or my cane, either one. I want to increase it a bit everyday until 30 minutes. And I can dance! Isn't that weird? (Oh! here's the groin pain back!) My day is sort of normal as far as activities are concerned. Today I am having lunch with a friend before PT. By the time I get home though I will be exhausted so husband is fixing dinner tonight.
Do wish I could start walking like a normal human being. I am being patient but I thought I would be by this time. It's a disappointment but I will wait for the day and crack open a bottle of something to celebrate because it will be a super day. Have not walked in 2 years on my own steam. Hoping for the best.
Hoping all of you out there are having good days in recovery. I am thinking of you all, especially @MammaT who is coming up very soon for her surgery.
 
Ironically, I found dancing easier and less painful than walking both before and after surgery! Nothing of interest sounds perfect - it's reassuring when things continue to roll peacefully along. The walking will come. You have a lot of limping and atrophy to correct - you didn't get there in 8 weeks, so it's going to take longer than that to completely fix. I love to hear how well you're doing, though and how active you are! Have a wonderful day. Here's something to help make some sunshine. :SUNsmile::flwrysmile::SUNsmile::flwrysmile::SUNsmile:
 
Hi :hi:
I hope you had a nice lunch with your friend today and have an enjoyable dinner with hubby.
I think walking independently will come in time. You've been through so much. It may take a bit longer to get there. In the interim.... keep enjoying life as you are, sweet Zinnia :loveshwr:

@zinnia
 
Thank you, @Layla; patience is hard to come by when you've been waiting so long. But there isn't another road to go so I'll keep trekking down the one I've got if you'll keep by my side for most of the way.
 
Oh, @SaraK, I love getting your encouraging messages. You are so gracious.
The atrophy is indeed a problem. I can feel the stiffness in my gait and I see that old crippled woman in the mirror and I can't believe she is me! I was so active in the gym. I did Zumba for heaven's sake and loved it. But whining is so boring! After awhile no one listens to that anyway. So I'm going to do more dancing!
Thank you the flowers and the sunshine. They matter. You have a great evening. :catdance:
 
Thank you @zinnia. As I have said before, I find you and your story very inspiring. You are getting so close to being back to your regular self. Zumba may take some time, but I have lived a very fulfilled life without one class! It is so good to hear you are getting out with friends.

There are a lot of us here who will crack open a bottle of something to help you celebrate your day!

Completed preop testing. Looked at today’s X-rays. No miraculous healing of the hip. Spacing is more narrow, some bone on bone. I think i have timed surgery well. I will be healing with you next week and I will need your uplifting messages!

Have a good evening,

Ginny
 
You are ALL invited to cracking open a bottle of Irish Whiskey (sorry I don't drink champagne.) when the time comes! And I hope it comes sooner rather than latter.
@MammaT, I am thinking of you up until next Tuesday.
Oh, @SaraK, that's such a special compliment.
@Layla, you've made me so happy! I couldn't do any of this without you.
 
PT again yesterday. . .I am liking these people. They know my story and my dedication to Bone Smart. They do not use a cookie cutter approach to PT which I just hated in previous experiences. I felt like I was on a production line. This is my program and I have a therapist with me the whole hour +.

I have no soreness or pain from this work but I do ice and elevate as soon as I hit the door. And I know that is helping. Slight ache in the groin which seems to be on going now. Left knee is more the problem now. Lordy, I hate to think about surgery for that bone on bone.

I am stronger for it I think because my therapist is finding alternative ways to handle building the way to walking; which I am having some luck with. . .that is I am beginning to walk short distances without assistance. I am trying very hard to do those distances well and stop when I fall into bad habits. And I am definitely stronger at the hip. Who knows why. A little of this and a little of that and I sort of know it will happen.

Great weekend for Everyone. Take care, don't catch the flu, stay well; continued success in recovery. @MammaT has surgery on Tuesday! Cheers, MammaT!
 
I'm so happy that you like your PT, Zinnia and that they take your feelings into consideration.
It must make for a pleasant relationship knowing your input won't be met with resistance.
I think it's wise you ice preventatively after your sessions. Better safe than sorry.
Hoping you're encouraged by the progress you're making in walking independently, I'm impressed!
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!
@zinnia
 
Your pt sounds amazing @zinnia. Not too long ago you were wondering if you would ever walk without a cane nd now look at you! Have to agree with Layla, I am also very impressed.

Oh, surgery is Monday-be there at 5:30, surgeryvat 7. Hopefully I will be back home Tuesday.
 
About to wander out and get a 20 minute walk in before it gets cold again. I missed yesterday because it was gray and cold and very windy. Not an inviting day for walking. I'll also walk tomorrow and that will make 4 walks this week. Trying for 4 a week which includes 15 mins of the NuStep at PT.
I didn't mean to indicate @Layla that I am walking unassisted with any regularity. These are very short skips from one spot in the kitchen to another and it's not a large kitchen. And I have to concentrate so hard to even do that. But it's there; I know it is.
Good luck, @MammaT. Will be thinking of you Monday, day after tomorrow! Oh boy, and it will be done. You've been through the lessons on up and down stairs, car entries, etc. so I hope you will be home Tuesday. But get that pain (if there is any) under control first and be sure you feel stable enough to fend for yourself in and out of bed, to the bathroom, to the kitchen, stuff like that. One more day wouldn't make that big a difference. Got all your goodies set up at home? What are you going to binge watch? Excited for you. :dogwalk:
 
Hi @zinnia
I did understand what you meant but I'm still excited for you as any progress is a step
in the right direction. I have faith that you'll get there. Slowly but surely.
Hugs and wishes for a great weekend!
 
My first unassisted walk was across my kitchen @zinnia, and I didn’t realize I did it until I was at coffee station. Maybe just 5 normal steps but as I stood there and looked at my cane leaning against the counter I wondered how I would get back! Since I was by myself I didn’t like the option of standing there for days so I slowly made it back. I didn’t go completely off cane at that point (too much of a limp), but it was my start.

Haven’t decide on my binge watch shows yet. May see if there is anything son wants to watch while he stays here and then see what looks appealing. Just went to store. Have enough basic food stuffs for three weeks or so. Don’t want to feel pushed to drive just for food. I friends from church will be bringing meals by, but figured should be prepared in case we have a few days of bad weather.

Hope your walk was enjoyable. Come Monday you will be out walking me!
 
I am so hopeful for your PT and "baby steps" to bring you more and more mobility. You deserve it, truly.
Stupid OA!
Hope you have a great weekend.
I'll have to pick up donations from businesses with some volunteers this morning, but then will try to get some air.
The General Public had been particularly Trying this week.
I need some Get Away From People Time!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom