@MammaT That picture was taken last winter at my son and daughter-in-law's "Cabin" on Black Mountain. We are on a back deck which looks out over the Appalachian Mountains. Those were in better hipster days before things started to go south, but I was not walking unassisted, I was on a cane, tenuously on a cane. Grandkids are the best and this particular one is a real sweetheart.
Hi @zinnia
My son is 6' 6" too and I'm an inch taller than you. He has to duck going in doorways at times and duck to look in mirrors. He stands out in a crowd though. Easy to spot, haha!
I love that stocking idea!!! Do you set a $$ limit? Because you could go either way with that.....diamonds are small It's a great idea and one I've never heard.
We have drinks too but they're definitely not sneaky, lol
We do the crowns and poppers also and more "unsneaky" drinks but that's on New Years Eve.
You're meaning the poppers with the silly little gumball toys inside I'm assuming.....
I tried to get another picture up but failed. Hi @Mojo333 I hope your day is full of happiness too. I'll have to tell my handsome grandson he got some compliments. Thank you. Mine may not be too peaceful but it will be fun. PT comes today, Lulu goes into the groomer, a friend is bringing lunch at 12 for 4 of us. My husband will be off taking his friend to the doctor. My left knee is killing me; I must have twisted it in some way and it is very picky about how I use it. . .bone on bone in there. And then there is my left ankle. . .I'm clearly a bit of a mess. How are you doing in your recovery, sweet Mojo? You always cheer me on. Don't you need cheering too?
You are too kind @MammaT. I'm just an ol' grandma who loves her kids and has a few bum joints. How are you doing. How are you handling the waiting? Have you decided on the spinal yet? I was packed and ready to go for weeks and stayed in hospital gowns doubled up the whole time. Didn't crack the duffel. I think I was in a state of shock. One attendant kept asking me if I didn't want real clothes on and I turned her down. I was thinking home was the place for real clothes. I don't know. Crazy. I am so wishing you a good experience in February. I think a lot about your having to wait. But you seem to be doing okay. Hang in there.
Hi @Layla The idea to stop giving gifts to EVERYONE! came from my granddaughter. She thought it would better if we, who didn't know a thing anyone else could afford, drew names and gave to a surprise charity or non-profit that described the person they drew. Ex: my son is a bicycle-ist so I gave to a group who fixed up bicycles and sent them to third world countries. That went on for a number of years and then it was decided that each of us would give a presentation for a charity of our choice and the group would vote and the winner would get a donation from each of us, no amount was set. That is where we are now. I don't know what they will decide this year. I just know that my daughter is making my cheese ball and the chocolate mousse. . .Hallelujah! Sons and grandsons of 6'6" are a sight to behold, aren't they. They do attract some eyes. Jackson is a splendid figure, filling out now and looking for a job in computers. I think he may have one at this point which would be nice for him. I tend to think that you guys are all healed but you aren't are you? Where are you in your recovery? You always send me into the day with cheers. . .it's your turn. . .have a happy day, Layla. And I do mean the poppers with the silly toys inside. . .great fun. Thank you, Dear One.
Thank you @zinnia I love that bit of happy cheer!
It's refreshing to read your posts. You sound so different than a few months ago
when you were a mess in distress and I say that lovingly. It felt as though you'd lost all hope
that you'd regain life as you once knew it.
Look at you now! You're doing it and you're doing it so well! It's still early and you will have some ups and downs but I believe you're finally on your way.
You're right, Zinnia about many of us still healing. I'm almost 6 mo post op. While I'm doing well, to me it feels like anyone who is under a year, possibly even two, is still in recovery. I've read it can take that long. When you look at it in the whole scheme of things....possibly / hopefully 25+ yrs with these joints, we are in our infancy of recovery.
I hope you have a wonderful lunch with friends today and a great weekend!
@zinnia, I am doing well with waiting. Icing hip now, think it didn’t like driving and sitting in meetings today and then bending over to pick things up. Did get 20 minutes on bike. Going to order new one. I have one from my mom that is 20 years if it is a day. Want to keep up til surgery, and even if it bothers old hip, new hip likes it. Need to then go over Christmas gifts and plan for last pick up tomorrow. Have a good evening.
I've had a full day, @Layla. Set the table for the luncheon, PT came for a walk, etc.; he only has 2 more sessions. He is leaving me with some light exercises. I'm not sure I will continue them. I'm not moving on to more PT on site; I'd rather use the time and energy to keep walking for distance and endurance. He checked the incision and it looks good. Coca butter and some massaging is in order now. . .there are some bubbly places along that line. It was wild around here during the luncheon. I sat at the table for over an hour. Haven't done that since I got home. I was exhausted when the three of them left. I love them; I was happy when they came and happy when they left. I only have the stamina to manage one big event in a day. Oh the grocery order came too and I put all that away. It is time for bed and I'm almost too tired to go to sleep. I don't have 25 years to give this hip. I wish I hadn't wasted 2 on the bad one. We are taking a little day trip tomorrow to see which car works best for our journey. Have a great weekend, Layla. Thanks for being there. You and @mojo and others too, but you all especially saw me through some hard times that's true. You all got me this far. I'm going to let you take me all the way.
I understand the feeling of glad to have people in and glad to have them go @zinnia. Very smart checking out car ahead of time. Nice that you have choice. Hope you had good rest and have a good day.
@zinnia
I had some of those bumpy areas around incision initially. It continues to smooth out.
I use a Cocoa Butter with Vitamin E creme daily after shower mainly because my PT showed
me how to massage those adhesions.
The early socializing can be draining. We had an impromptu grilled dinner one night early on in my recovery because several family members were visiting at the same time. I was wiped out afterward but I was also practicing trying move from walker to cane that day so I'm assuming that contributed.
I think the day trip today is wise. You can see how you fare in the car in prep of your bigger holiday trip. Hopefully your comfy and have a great day!
I intend to see you through, Zinnia. You've got me.
It would take a team of horses to drag me away
Hi @MammaT Do you ride your bike out and about or is it stationary? I thought about buying one of those just pedals that you use while seated. But I think after Christmas I'll be ready to go to the Y and use their recumbent bikes. I'll just go back and forth with the pedals as Josephine describes in one of the forum articles and work up to pedaling. No problem with 90 degress with a recumbent. I have a 3 wheeler I got because I didn't want to fall over after the first revision but soon enough I couldn't ride it. It's there when I'm ready. I'm glad you're busy so you don't have a problem with the waiting. Still, you are experiencing pain and discomfort in your daily life. How wonderful it will be to get your quality of life back. Anxious to follow your thread when you get there. I'll let you all know how the car trip goes today. I'm a bit nervous about it. It's also my first day out to the stores. Have a great day.
I use a recumbent bike in the house. Since it is often dark in winter when I get home I don’t like to walk outside. 20 minutes or so on it seems to help (at least it is movement). A friend is trying to talk me into riding outside, s I will see what happens in the spring. Safe travels @zinnia!
The trip out today: an hour there, lunch and a bit of shopping and then an hour home. I'm not nearly as tired as I was yesterday sitting around having lunch with friends, and I made soup before we left. Hmmmmmmmm. I can do this. Traffic scares me though. A little gentleman slowed down suddenly to 30 miles, brakes on, me holding on for dear life. That scares me. I have to order some cocoa butter with E. Thanks for that @Layla. The PT showed me how to massage as well. Sounds like you are doing a good job with the massaging. I am still on the cane. I wander around the kitchen without it, holding on to the counter as I go. But I don't show any signs of wanting to let go of that cane yet. Too early? I'm anxious.
Good job @zinnia! I found that I would just start forgetting the cane. The first time I was at kitchen counter and wanted to put something away on other side of room and realized I was there with no cane! The walk back looked very long once I was aware I was going solo!
It may have felt more relaxed today because it was just you and hubby chillin together, Zinnia.
Entertaining...even a low key lunch, can be a bit stressful. You want everyone to be comfy, happy and
well taken care of. While in recovery, sometimes we just hit a wall. You suddenly feel drained and want to shut everything down. At least I found that to be the case. Kind of hard when you have company to say
"Okay, I'm over it now...please leave."
I used the counters as support to move around the kitchen also. Take it slow, it will all come @zinnia
Just realize that with all you've been through this recovery may take a little longer. Take your time and don't pressure yourself. Slow and easy wins the race. You're doing it
I discovered yesterday when I looked in the mirror that my right buttocks cheek is a considerable size larger than my left. I could balance a tray on the darn thing. I just noticed it and no one has bothered to mention it to me. So I have been icing it like mad. Is this normal? PT never said anything. Nothing hurts. I feel a bit tight and stiff in the groin when I walk but it doesn't hurt. Anyone?
I know I'm anxious and afraid that, in the end I won't walk unassisted. So many disappointments have me pessimistic about the inevitable, whatever that may be. I do need to catch myself in that mood and swat me back to the hopeful side of things. I have to remind myself that this is a new scenario and a new chance. Thank heaven for you @Layla and @Mojo333 and @MammaT and @Susan209 and @SaraK and so many others who listen to my whining and sweep me up and set me back into the real world with love and honest caring and humor and concern galore so I stop feeling sorry for myself. I like to look back at the threads of as many as I can and see how others manage their own dilemmas. So many wonderful stories. They boost my morale too, all those stories. They bring me back to earth.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.