Guest viewing is limited

THR Hip pain

No, we switched him to brick and mortar because he was failing classes and if I switch him now he has to stay in online. I dont want to mess him up when he is doing so well.

Certainly understandable. I hope it all works out for you and fingers crossed you’re able to find more help for early on. It sounds like you’re setting yourself up for easiest access to all you may use or need. Maybe littlest little will shine as your biggest helper. We all know how kids like to help, lol. :wink:
Wishing you comfort and all the best. Please stay in touch and let us know how it’s going, when you have time. :)
 
Are TED hoses necessary? My foot on my surgery side is always freezing and I know they said I need them for 6 weeks according to my post op instructions. I know they are needed for blood clot prevention, but they feel like too much some days. I have to place a hot pad on my calf and foot some days.
 
I’d call the surgeons office and ask. Wondering if they’re allowing you some time off each day? Like overnight, or a few hours a day without. I’ll share a little secret, just between you and I :heehee: When I phoned my doctors office to ask about those miserable things during my recovery my doctors PA told me they are happy if people wear them even half the time prescribed. I’m sure they take into account many will cheat the time they’re supposed to wear them so they set the bar higher than necessary.

With that said, I am not a medical professional, nor am I encouraging you to go against your doctors advice. What I am encouraging is that you call the office and talk to someone on your surgeons care team about it. It you’re reasonably active, they may let you toss them, or even advise you wear for shorter periods of time. Many surgeons don’t even prescribe them, but not knowing any health conditions you may, or may not have, this is between you and your surgeon. Give them a call. Can’t hurt, right?

Have a good one!
@Rosasweeney13
 
I had my post-op appt today and I asked. She said I didn't have to wear them all the time and She was recommending only wearing them at night or when I have long car rides(my ortho appts are 1.5 hrs away). She said to take breaks and wear them for 8 hrs minimum. I have plantar facitis pain on my right foot, she said is due to my new gait and my legs are even now. I am getting ortho type inserts for my shoes. Lucky for me my husband is a medic and he knows exercises to minimize the pain.swelling is almost minimal. I was able to dress myself today and have been good about getting in and out of bed. I feel so excited with my small accomplishments because it means I'm a little closer to healing.
 
You sound very well :happydance:
Early days...so keep all slow and easy.
It's best to ask the doctor in case of any vascular concerns, so I didn't tell you that my dreaded TEDS got lost in the washing machine on day 3.:) :-) (:
 
I was fortunate to not have any TEDS or compression hose, just a lot of ankle pumps and an aspirin a day. Every OS has a different procedure and it's best to follow their guidelines.
I never ever had any foot problems in my life until post THR. Post op walking was my PT and next thing you know I've got PF. Now I have to roll my foot on a regular basis t get relief.
 
I feel so excited with my small accomplishments because it means I'm a little closer to healing.

I love your enthusiasm and joy in your accomplishments even if only small.
Week by week you’ll feel stronger and steadier. You’re doing great and congrats on the bit of a reprieve you’re getting with the TEDS. Soon enough you can have a bonfire and burn
them. :yay: Have a wonderful weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
Lately I've been having pain at the bottom of my foot. The ball of my foot to my toes and also at my heel. Is it normal? I feel like I have plantar facitis, but I never had this issue before. Im worried that it is a new issue.
 
Hi @Rosasweeney13
I’m sorry you’re dealing with additional pain. Please try not to worry just yet. My surgeons PA explained early on that our gait changes as our hip deteriorates, then changes once again as our body adjusts to our new hip. We often tend to favor, or baby, one leg over another causing some muscles to be over used and some under used causing strain on other areas of the leg. If it is plantar fasciitis, I believe with treatment most cases resolve with time. At only two weeks post op, you’re very early into this recovery. Hopefully the issue resolves soon and if not, your surgeon or PCP can offer advice that will hopefully bring you relief.

It’s also recommended you purchase new shoes after THR. You don’t want to wear broken down shoes with your pre-op wear pattern. This doesn’t mean you need to discard every pair of shoes you own, just make sure you replace the ones worn most frequently, or on a regular basis.

I hope you have a good week!
 
Wonderful! I hope it gets even better. Thanks for sharing the good news!
@Rosasweeney13
 
I've made it to week 4! Week 3 I started walking more and more around the house. I did 2 small trips with my husband to the store. Everyday is getting better. The hip kit is a must for the days when I am alone. I lean be more independent with it.
 
Is it possible to lose weight after surgery? I have lost 5lbs since surgery. I was on a weightloss journey before my surgery so my eating habits have been the same. The only thing that changed was my activity level, I went from working out 6 days a week to nothing. So I was actually thinking I was going to gain a few lbs instead of losing. I am on week4 day 7, tomorrow I start week 5 and I am more movable, but nothing compared to pre surgery.
 
@Rosasweeney13 Healing from surgery is hard work! Even though you think your activity level is much decreased it's probably taking more effort, concentration, and energy to do just ordinary things. So yes it is possible to lose weight --- particularly since you are continuing a eating plan that was working for you before surgery.
 
@Rosasweeney13 Indeed it is possible to lose weight. I lost 14 pounds post LTHR - and I was not trying to lose weight nor was I on a special diet. I think it was just being able to move around more post op. I was on crutches for the 6 months prior to that surgery.

Most people get discouraged post op as they report a weight gain. But most of that gain is fluids. They pump fluids in you pre and post op - so all temporary.
 
Well I am on week 6 of recovery. Kinda dealing with alot of pain even with pain meds, lots of swelling and my knee is still hurting. I had surgery on my knee in May 2020, I am wondering if I should get it revised since all components need to work together. My groin pain came back and I am getting a little discouraged. Mostly because that was the pain I went in for to get looked at and now is back plus lateral pain and thigh weakness. I feel like I'm worse then when I went in. I only had groin pain. When I went in and now it feels like everything hurts I have my 6 week post op next week. I hate that I'm still not where I was prior to surgery or even close to active. I know it takes time but I'm getting discouraged
 
How active are you being @Rosasweeney13? I know you have complicating issues with trying to deal with children and recovery, but I'm wondering if you are being more active than your new hip likes? That would explain your symptoms.
 
I hate that I'm still not where I was prior to surgery or even close to active.
At only 6 weeks out of major surgery you are setting unrealistic expectations. You will get back to an active life. But you need to let that hip heal. Slow down, keep icing and elevating and let nature take its course. Patience prescribed in large doses.
 
I haven't been active at all, I walk at most 15minutes per walk and I mostly sit or lay with elevation. I do my exercises and try to walk at home, I haven't yet been able to go grocery shopping or tried anything longer than 15 minutes due to the pain. I'm concerned because again I'm not active at all. I spend most of my walks getting something for my toddler and going back to my seat or letting the dogs out and going back to myseat. The most strenuous walking involves going up my stairs in the night or going down in the morning.my husband and older children do all the chores at home so I know I'm not putting extra work on the hip.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom