THR Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay! Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CanukTriMom Cheryl I think you still have to edit your post-op thread link because when you click on it, it brings you to page 7 of your thread. Just go back and click on your user name, then signature . Next just use the back space button to edit. Your link should end like this -new-bionic-hip.26330/
 
And I still don't know how to quote someone's text.
@2 for Jeff to quote someone's posting in your post just copy the section of text you want to include. As soon as you highlight the text a small pop up will appear that says +Quote / Quote this message. Click on the +Quote and then go down to where you are posting. You will see a prompt Insert Quote. Click on this and another pop up window appears with the text that will be inserted in your post. Click on insert and the quote will be inserted in your post. Lots of steps - but once you have it down it's pretty easy.
 
Ah, what a conundrum for you in February, @2 for Jeff! Though of course "this" operated leg will be PERFECT by then, so you will only have one "bad" leg. Incidentally, I was given the mantra "Up to heaven, Down to Hell" to remember which leg to lead with... so maybe if you're having a "bad leg day" in Feb, you can just step down with whichever one is giving you Hell :heehee:
Sanders new Sea Salt Caramels are a perfect Sweet & Salty treat for anyone. Our 1920's Sanders original recipe Caramel is enrobed in our premium Dark Chocolate, and then sprinkled with the finest Mediterranean Sea Salt. These Caramels will surely satisfy any craving you have!
Oh, and you have a lot to answer for... I just ate most (I mean very most!!:shocked:) of a Lindt Sea Salt Caramel choccie bar... it was only 100g though (about 3oz?... certainly less than 4oz) delicious, but not really "essential" recovery food at 7 and a half weeks; though I DO have all those restrictions, slowing my recovery down, making me more needy, and deserving, and, and...... :tada:oh what the hey, it's gone now! My youngest son's favourite dessert (I am the Dessert Diva) is my Salted Caramel Macarons - but they're fiddly to make so they're not on the menu that often; and now the grandtwins are getting to the age they can see we're eating something different than they are for dessert (they're only allowed fruit) so Uncle Chris misses out at "Family Night" dinners
Off to the land of Nod now, hopefully.... still struggling with the ol' sleeping on the back thing (actually woke up on my side this morning, with the pillow firmly wedged as it should be... have NO recollection of reaching for it, or maneuvering it into place; obviously my sleep reflex just took over:rotfl:)
 
@craftdee
so maybe if you're having a "bad leg day" in Feb, you can just step down with whichever one is giving you Hell :heehee:
I will defiantly adopt that way of thinking in February.
However I'm only having heavenly thoughts about February, so again, there's that conundrum.
What kind of restrictions do you have to abide by? I learned about 90 degree rule here and my OS only gave me 2 restriction. No crossing my legs and I shouldn't turn my operated knee inwards.
Sorry your not sleeping well on your back. I'm so sleep deprived. That I can sleep In any position probably even standing up, just as long as the pain is gone.
There are times though when sleeping on my back that I wake up choking and gasping for air because of post nasal drip. It's the worst way to wake up.
Now lets talk sweets. My wife makes a coconut macaroon using condensed milk and they are delicious. But you mentioned salted caramel macaroon??? Is there coconut underneath all that goodness ?
I think I'm gona need that recipe :prayer:
 
@2 for Jeff ,
To be honest I don't even think about it. You have to remember I had both done at the same time so there was no differentiating for me which one was good or bad, they were just my legs. I was using the stairs the second day at the hospital because I asked my PT guy what I would do for curbs etc.. so he had me do this curb simulation and then took me to the stairs. As of now i don't even think about stairs or anything for that matter as things I can't do. I just go up and down them like normal, climb ladders.. u name it.. Have a good Thanksgiving if I don't talk to you more on here.
 
@2 for Jeff - my physio taught me "the good, the bad and the ugly" for going up stairs - the unoperated leg first, then the operated leg, then the crutch/walking stick (and then ugly, bad , good for coming down again) :-) worked for me although I must've looked weird chanting it to myself each time...

I thought of you today - my unoperated left hip has been giving me much pain and when I finished work early I was just going to rest. However I'm in London for work this week and decided no I'm going to do some Christmas shopping - Jeff spent years working 12 hour shifts on his feet with two bad hips and if he could beat the pain so can I ! So thanks for the inspiration :-)




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@faster pussycat I think its fine to say our little chants as we go up and down stairs. It starts to get weird when as your chanting going up, the person next to you is chanting going down :praying:
I'm glad you were in the Holiday spirit and decided to go shopping but please don't over do it right after work.
I think its been since July that you had your right THR. About 4 months. How's recovery coming along?
And I do remember your left hip was starting to pull you down. Any game plan for getting it done also?

As for me, I just finished writing my OS an email, thanking him and telling him how excited I am for getting together with him in a couple of months to discuss doing my left hip.
He told me thanks for the email, That he loves to hear that he has made a difference, And that's why he chose his profession.
 
@bsilvers You have a Happy Thanksgiving also Brian.
I know it's only 5 days now, but I feel myself getting so much stronger.
I look forward to my little exercise routine that my daughter and I do together.
When I fall behind on my meds the pain can reach a 4, but most of the day I'm down to a 2 with minimal
swelling . It's looking good for me so far Brian :fingersx:
 
Hi @2 for Jeff - So glad to hear recovery is going well!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!! I remember you were concerned about the hospital temperature...how was it for you? Just remember to take it real easy the first couple of weeks!! Take care!
 
@toohip Hi! Happy Thanksgiving to you to.
Everything was exactly how you explained it at HHS, from the kindness
Of everyone, all the way down to the hard to spot parking garage sign.
When I was on the 4th floor holding area where they first shave your leg, hook up your I.V., and the surgeon
Signs which leg is to be operated on, I was feeling a little warm and uncomfortable. But that
Started out because the hospital gown was a little tight. The temperature was probably
Alright but when i get agitated, ForGetAbouIt !
Once they came to get me for surgery I must have looked realy uncomfortable. But as they startd wheeling the gurney down all of these corridors, it started to cool off. And once I was in the operating room I was nice and cold (the way I like it) A little introduction to the anesthesiologist and I woke up in recovery.
Like everyone said, you just have to get through the waiting.
So yes, I'm doing fine. I look forward to my exercises because I know im getting stronger and stronger.
Mind you I haven't had PT at home yet. It's just been me and Chloe.
The visiting nurse came yesterday and Made her assessment, And PT will probably start Friday.
Remember to save room for desert.
P.S. One of the neighbors stopped by last night with a huge dish of home made stuffed shells, and checked in on me. I was so surprised. That was so nice (Wifey has been so busy)
 
Yup, the waiting is the worst part of this process. And the waiting at the hospital just prior to the op can be very nerve wracking. I remember the nurse asking me how I was doing when I was dressed and waiting to go into theatre. Bundle of nerves was my reply! But staff area so understanding. They see this every day.

Have a great Thanksgiving @2 for Jeff !
 
Happy Thanksgiving everyone :chuckmarch:
Last night I slept through the night with no meds. :happyfeet:
I hope I can do that every night.:praying:
 
@2 for Jeff

Jeff

That is great news! I love that little dancing penguin, he really has the moves!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yor family. Our Thanksgiving was in October and we had smoked turkey!

Cheryl
 
@2 for Jeff yes it was July I had my RTHR and it has been absolutely brilliant. I still have a little difficulty putting on socks/tights/shoes but getting better all the time. Unfortunately the left hip is getting worse and worse so looks like my lovely surgeon was being a bit over optimistic when he said getting the right one done might help it. He says give it 6 months so at the moment I'm planning on trying to see him after Christmas. I must say I envy you having your second op lined up. In a couple more months you'll be all done and dusted and chasing Chloe round Disneyland ! :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@faster pussycat Well I want all 4 of our legs to feel brilliant. We both have our right hips done so let's have a good recovery and then complete the set. Just keep making progress with your right hip.
Work on that muscle strength and flexibility.
We will get there :bicycle1:
 
Jeff, too bad that you had the journey from Hades the night you came home. But it sounds like you're going gangbusters (albeit a bit scary with the light bulb change...:yikes:). All this talk about chocolate is giving me a hankering for my chocolate pecan pie...

So here's my (double) pharmacy challenge during recovery: We live about 45 minutes from the hospital where I had my surgery. I also got discharged later in the day (but mid-week), so we hit the evening traffic (even in the carpool lane), then went right to the pharmacy (the hospital's retail pharmacy wasn't covered under my insurance), where we had to come back in 45 minutes! :what: They wouldn't let hubby pick the meds up by himself, so we dropped all of the stuff off at the house, he grabbed a quick bite to eat (I still didn't have much of an appetite), then drove back to the pharmacy to get the meds. Finally got in and ready for bed about 9:30 that night (roughly 4.5 hours after we left the hospital). Later in my recovery while still on blood thinners, the nurse came and I always got tested on Mondays and Fridays. Well one Friday draw got to the lab too late to get the Rx called into insurance (my dosage kept changing and I "ran out" based on all of the dosage changes AND I had asked them to "rush" the labs since I only had 1 pill left), but I ended up having to pay the full amount for the rx (or not take the meds until Monday when they could reach insurance - their solution, not mine) and when I submitted my claim to insurance, I got less back than I would have had to pay had it gone through insurance. Even with an appeal, they wouldn't reimburse me the difference. :tantrum2::gaah:

It's good to hear that Chloe is actively participating in your recovery. I know I was the youngest patient of my PT, so he enjoyed stopping by our place and giving me the next week's challenges. Some you'll master, others will take a bit of time. Everyone recovers at a different pace. But you are certainly on your way and it is SOOOOOO good to hear you are actually getting some zzz's now!!!:sleep:
 
@dede62 I'm cracking up and shaking my head as I read your story about your 4.5 hour discharge from the hospital :shrug: I guess we all have these types of days at the wrong possible time.
And talking about fighting to get reimbursed from the insurance company, my wife and I have come to the conclusion that we have to fight for everything. No matter how small like going through MCdonalds drive thru and getting home and they forgot the fries. :tantrum: Or going clothes shopping and buying a new shirt and when you get home you realize they left that little security thingy stuck in it :blackcloud:Or like when you put all of your groceries on the belt and as soon as your putting the last item up there the cashier says Sorry This Lane is Closed :censored:
We don't get mad anymore, we expect some days like this and there's nothing we can do about it. :shrug:
It's a complete waste of energy to let these things bring you down
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, you are right that one shouldn't waste energy on things out of our control, but it is hard to not get frustrated with it all, especially when you're not feeling your best. :sick: Stuff happens, and we have to build the bridge to get over it -- but grumbling sometimes helps us get to the other side. And as long as it's not one's usual MO, then it usually has a way of working itself out in the long run.:tada:

However, there is a difference in fighting for fighting's sake and fighting for what one is entitled to. Insurance is a contractual agreement between you and them. Yes, they usually have things in place, for the most part that goes in their favor, however, you are actually paying them, so they do have to honor their end of the deal...:no-fin:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom