THR Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay! Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone :yawn: I'm so sleepy.
I had a few wonderful surprises today. No Foley Catheter :egypdance:
And No Epidural :egypdance:
I'm all iced down, I'm asking for my meds every 4 to 6 hours, and NO Morphine.
Only Percocet.
No pain here, I must be dreaming, No wait a minute, I can't be dreaming!!! I don't sleep, remember?
What Da!!!
I woke up to a river view and it was over before it started.
Today was a good day.
Luv you guys, I'm gona finally go to sleep.
:cheers:

Congrats Jeff on the new hip and sleep well.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@tmusicman Thanks and you will do fine tomorrow. I was in the same boat as you with the anxiety and the folks here calmed me down.
I walked in the hospital on Friday and I'm in my hospital room Sunday morning waiting to go home. You can do this.
And speaking about being in the same boat as you, look at this view again.
[Bonesmart.org] Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay! Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @2 for Jeff - I am sooo happy for you; you're starting a brand new exciting chapter in your life. I can't wait till you post that vacation story in spring/summer about running with your daughter in disneyworld or walking around at niagara falls park!! It's sooo exciting for you!!
 
You are doing great @2 for Jeff ! Easy does it on the laps around the hospital. Plenty of time exercise once you are more mobile. Your posts sound so upbeat. I remember the sheer joy once it's done and dusted.
 
I SO know about those "what the...?" bruises! One of the worst ones I had was on my calf (of the operated leg) that took over a week to come out fully... I was convinced I had a thrombus, as you do:heehee: I know it was from the manhandling that took place (if you've ever watched a YouTube video, you'd know!) but I still didn't make the connection. My anethesist was quite happy to use GA because he said that a lot of people don't relax as fully with spinal, and they're laying on their non operated side for quite a while (my op was long, nearly two hours) with quite a bit of, as he put it, "pushing and pulling" going on:shocked:so you can get sore hips and shoulders out of it... not the case for everyone of course.
I like the "giving back" idea, I said much the same to my hubby about the auxilliary service the hospital runs, just taking library books around, visiting the more lonely patients etc, it feels like something you can do that makes the journey easier for those that follow you.
My Mum was just in hospital overnight and they asked if she would like a visit from the chaplain (a standard offer made to all patients, it's not a hospital run by a religious group) she didn't really need the chaplaincy, doesn't know why she said yes, but found the visit from him to be interesting and nicely distracting... he was Scottish as is she, so they chatted about Scotland of old - which is when she discovered he is 94!! Now that's giving back, something to admire for sure
You do start to look at your life from a slightly different perspective when you are "vulnerable"... I don't mean weakened, I mean not in the position of control over your own destiny that you usually feel, it is an opportunity to do some navel contemplating, that's for sure:)
 
@toohip Yes Niagra Falls, and Disney. 2 things that I have to do.
It might sound crazy but when I get back to work in May, I'm still entitled to my 5 weeks vacation.
Can you imagine that. It just doesn't seem right. But vacation is based on your previous year of work.
Anyway! Guess what? I just did stairs with a cane :spin:
I feel so much better with the cane.
One more session at 2pm on the stairs and them home :egypdance:
 
I just signed all discharge papers. I'm going home.
In on Friday home on Sunday


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ooooops! Percs got me..... My wife texted me that the car is here and I posted here. iYi Yi


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@2 for Jeff

Do you have a hard time just relaxing? I hope you have the patience you will need not to over do it in your recovery....how about you think of working after BOTH your surgeries are finished? Take your time in recovery and trust me in a few days, you are going to be so tired.....the energy drain from this operation is unbelievable.

Hugs

Cheryl
 
@2 for Jeff

Do you have a hard time just relaxing? I hope you have the patience you will need not to over do it in your recovery....how about you think of working after BOTH your surgeries are finished? Take your time in recovery and trust me in a few days, you are going to be so tired.....the energy drain from this operation is unbelievable.

Hugs

Cheryl


Amen on that. You will be exhausted.

Jeff: Just take it easy. This is a marathon, not a sprint. And you do have one more to go. After that, your life will be changed.
 
Jeff, glad to hear all went well and you're probably settling in at home where you'll really get comfy and down to the healing business. Remember short trips to the "throne" and back will do it. Let others help as hard as that can be for a busy guy like you. Keep on the pain med schedule, ice, and just kick back man! You got this!!!
:thumb:
 
@dede62 it was a pretty horrible Sunday afternoon. I don't recommend getting discharged on a Sunday afternoon either.
Left the hospital at 3:45pm and drove into my town at 4:45pm. All I had was a handful of prescriptions and next round of pain meds were to be at 6:30.
When we made it to our local CVS pharmacy they had just closed at 5pm. Mind you I went straight from hospital sitting propped up on 2 pillows for the 1 hour bumpy ride.
Anyway, now we was heading 20 minutes away to the 24 hour CVS a couple of town away.
Guess what??!?????????
Out of stock! No pain meds. It's now 6:30 pm
A quick interruption , why the hospital didn't discharge me with a couple days worth of medicine? Well I asked that ? they said they don't have a license to do so. I also asked why cant they send a prescription electronically, and they said they can't do that with narcs.
We ended up going to 3 more stores, two of them no stock and finally at a Walgreens with just 5 minutes to closing time, the prescription was filled.
What do the strung out and addicted do to get their drugs. I bet they don't work at it as I did.
So I made it home at 8pm, that's 4 hours after leaving the hospital.
Wifey made me some soup, posted a medicine chart on the fridge, and Chloe and Wifey handed me some balloons, chocolate, and homemade gift cards.
I don't know the protocol around the world but try to get discharged with at least 2 or 3 days worth of meds.






Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Some hospitals do have a pharmacy connected with them on site where you can get the prescriptions filled before you leave or at least right away once you are checked out. Bummer that your hospital didn't or, if they did no one told you about it. I'm glad you finally were able to get the meds. I cannot imagine all those pharmacies being out of pain medications!!! Pretty poor management, I'd say. The worst part is over.....you're home now!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff,

It will get better. I am very surprised that HSS did not send you home with meds, I always assumed they were large enough to have an onsite pharmacy which could give out pain killers. But it is over. And my return home the first time was equally terrible (I was ready at 10am, but because they kept me in the hospital all day for no reason, I hit rush hour going home).

Look forward to a visiting nurse and a visiting physical therapist, I expect that HSS helped set that up for you. And you'll probably get to see (and nap to) lots of cheesy TV. I saw every episode of 'Love it or List it' ever made. I am an expert in Toronto real estate now :)

Mark
 
@MarkK at times I was beginning to think my wife's cousin was aiming for the pot holes on the drive home.
I'm sure there will be good days and bad ones going forward.
My OS gave me the green light for 100% weight bearing on operated leg and 2 restrictions, no crossing legs and can't roll my knee of operated leg inwards.
I finally had enough courage to look at the scare this morning and it's not so bad. About 4 to 5 inches straight up and down posterior style.
No staples, or stitches, just glue.
It looks like I had a total front end alignment. My knee and foot are pointing straight forward and my pelvis is trying to level off, as before I was all twisted up trying to keep the weight off of my right side.
Oh! The prunes are getting me to where I should be.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@2 for Jeff !!! Just catching up here! So glad you made it home--but so sorry you had so many issues with your meds on that day :( that is just unbelieveable how many pharmacies were out of stock! CRAZY!!!!! :flabber: I have been thinking about you and praying all went well! Keep us posted on your recovery--I will be having mine on Dec. 8th--went to grocery store the other day and stocked up on prunes and apricots! LOL so good to know they do what they are supposed to!!!:heehee:
 
I had the same problem with meds when I was discharged. Luckily my home health aide knew the ropes and called around. I only had to be with her to submit the Rx. She then took me home, got me settled and went and picked up the Rx later. I'm told it has to do with the black marketability of the narcs and the rescheduling that took effect October 6.

Glad to hear you're settled in now. If anything else weird comes up just remember, you're on hip-cation so -->
[Bonesmart.org] Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay! Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay!
 
@PhatTxDiva Ok, so let me get this straight. I'm officially a Hippie now ?
Yahhoooo! :wave:
A visiting nurse is coming tomorrow and a Phyical Therapist.
Chloe has volunteered to help me do my exercises everyday.
I haven't seen any signs of swelling anywhere yet.
There's so much I want to share with all of you but for some reason the percs get jealous and prevents me from typing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom