THR Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay! Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@2 for Jeff , Jeff wait until you get thru this healing stage with both hips you will realize how much energy was being zapped from you living with that pain. Prior to my surgery when I would try to do an hour of yard work I would be completely couch ridden and tired for the rest of they day. Now I can do all my yard work and then go to Jiu-Jitsu, come back, take the dogs for a walk and anything else and not be exhausted like I was with that 1 hour of trying to just trim some bushes or mow the lawn. Like I have said and now you will say.. Man, why did I wait so long and look how much I've missed out on.
 
@2 for Jeff

Jeff
Sounds like you kicked this surgery's butt! I was just saying to my husband the other day how I could not remember the pain I had lived with for the last 4 years, now that is gone! Funny kind of like childbirth in a way!

Hugs to you my friend

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom Hi Cheryl, your one of the people here on this site that I will never forget. You inspired me and motivated me to go through with my surgery. Hugs, Hugs, Hugs!

I'm still getting in house PT and I'm looking forward to going to out patient PT because I here they work you pretty hard with weights and stretching. I have a treadmill, stationary bike, and weights at home but I will wait for safe instruction from a experienced PT, this way I don't get hurt. I'm pretty sure today will be my last in home PT session.
My OS put a prescription in the mail for my out patient Therapy yesterday.
I'm doing fine, hope you are to.
I'm doing a lot of Christmas shopping online. Yikes! This is addicting and convenient. Are you ready for Christmas ?
HHeeyyy! Today is 2 weeks for me!
I received a huge fruit basket from my job yesterday, that was so thoughtful.
As my daughter was digging through the basket taking everything chocolate, she looked at me and said "Hey Dad, do you think they will send another basket for your other hip?"
Kids are so funny! But I do like the way she's thinking.

There's a lot of people in the pre op threads struggling with the decision, to go through with the operation.
I wish they new what we know. I really feel for them. So many different type of hurdles ahead of them, from fear, anxiety, to even insurance problems.

Anyway nice to hear from you, I know there's no slowing you down. Your probably swimming 200 laps in the pool today, or training for an ironman race.
What ever your doing today remember , YOU made a difference in somebody's life.
Thanks Cheryl " Class of 2014 Hippies"


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@faster pussycat Hi! Hope your feeling okay. Your like me, one good hip and one bad one.
I remember way back in 2001 before my father passed away, I used to ask him how he was feeling and he would always say "Some day good, some days bad " I love those words.
And speaking of good and bad, being that there is no more arthritis in our right hips, do you believe our left hip is affected by the weather?
I don't know if it's scientifically proven, but do you think the weather and barometric pressure has an affect on arthritis? Well I think it does.
Hence my Dads words, some days good and some days bad.
I hope today is a GOOD one for you.
Are you still running out to the malls doing your Christmas shopping ? I'm hooked shopping online.
I still have get something for the cat.
WHAT!!!! He's part of the family !

Anyway I hope you had a GOOD day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Jeff!! You are doing so well!! Hoorayyyy!
I am a firm believer in the weather affecting us, and not just arthritic joints either. My new hip still has residual soft tissue issues (gesundheit!) and aches when bad weather is coming. My vestibular migraine is also excellent at predicting weather changes!
So-- may everyone be having a GOOD day! :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@2 for Jeff

Jeff

Oh darn it you made me tear up! Thanks so much for your very kind words. I can see by your posts on both threads, PreOp and PostOp, you are doing exactly what you need to by paying it forward....just as you have said I made a difference in your life, you can be assured you are making a diference in someone else's life on this site!

Yeah hippies of 2014!!!!!

Chloe is a girl after my own heart....chocolate first, sentiment second.

I had my 3 month appt with my OS and got the big thumbs up and when I asked if there were any restrictions for me....he just laughed and said "no bungee jumping". I said not to worry as it was never on my bucket list.

I hear about that online shopping......hip or no hip surgery, it is my new way of shopping! So much easier than fighting crowds, wasting gas and dealing with traffic!

My birthday is coming up and I am truly thankful that God has changed my life with 2 life saving/changing operations. I am truly blessed with my health and fingers crossed I will be here on earth for many many more eons.

I tried to find that Sanders chocolate I told you about, the dark salted caramels....they have a website but the shipping to Canada is nutty. Why does every retailer have such a high price to ship to Canada because if I were there and went to the post office, it would be about half the price. Anyway that is my food rant for the day!

Talk soon my friend

Hugs from snowy Canada

Cheryl
 
Hi @2forJeff yes I still get good and bad days, I soooo know where your dad was comin from :-) this week has been a better week, thanks, for the left hip. It does seem to vary according to the weather though I've never really figured out exactly how. Usually cold damp/wet weather makes me worse although not always...

Don't get me started on Internet shopping lol. Since my walkings been bad it's been a lifesaver for me. This year's been the first for a long time that I've done any real shopping at all. Although I've fitted in plenty of virtual shopping too :-) the worst thing I've found is taking codeine before shopping - I've lost count of the number of bizarre outfits I've bought when on codeine - the next day I just can't figure out what on earth I was thinking of. It's a bit like being drunk ;-)

You take care with that physio now and don't overdo it - you know what auntie Josephine would say - hips don't need much in the way of exercise, only gentle walking. You've done so brilliantly so far, just take care you don't get carried away and do too much.

We have four cats and a dog and they are DEFINITELY part of the family !!

Have a good weekend :-)




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@faster pussycat

:rofsign:Oh yes, the proverbial walk of shame past the mirror when you have the sudden realization "now I know why I should just say no to drugs"!

Cheryl
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@zauberflöte Thanks for noticing my progress :) by no means am I in a hurry to run a marathon or anything like that. I'm sure you can see in my writings that it's pure excitement when I share with you all my progress :dancy:
I'm still in pain with my jealous left hip but I'm so happy for what's in store for it. :snork:

(gesundheit) ! :heehee::heehee::heehee: Your so funny.. "Soft Tissue issues" God Bless You :snork:
 
@CanukTriMom :cheers: To health and happiness !
I think that's what we should all wish for. And I'm Happy for you !!!

Good for you Cheryl with the all thumbs up :yes!:
All of life's experiences makes us stronger, and I wouldn't want to arm wrestle you :snork:

And when treating yourself to a piece of chocolate, close your eyes, kiss it, and say, "Here's to a sweet life"

Anyway, I'm sure your still working at getting stronger and more flexible, just keep doing what your doing, Lots of us are watching :yay:

Here is some words that I don't remember where I heard them, but the moment I heard them I jotted it down on
my iPhones note pad. So let me share them with you.

"Life is not about getting what you want..... It's about surviving what you don't want"
 
Jeff I know EXACTLY what you mean about excitement!! I actually still feel the same way. I will never have a forgotten hip because it is just so wonderful to have this hip that works right!! At least once a day I tell myself "well will you look at that! What did we just do cool!! (That the failing left hip is soooo jealous about...)" :) :) :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@faster pussycat Ohh! Boy! Thanks for the heads up about shopping online while medicated :snork: All of my shopping is done, and I'm pretty sure I was on my pain meds.. Hope there's no surprises Christmas morning :loll:

My brother stopped by my house the other day and as I got out of the recliner, he said Wow!
He could tell just by the way I was standing up that I was no longer in pain.
So I would imagine we project our feelings and people can see it.

:cheers: To nothing but Good days :SUNsmile:
 
Don't try to drive at 2 weeks post op.
Big mistake for me today. My wife went to work for 4 hours today overtime.
12pm she's on her way home and the car broke down. She called me and I told her that it just sounds like the power steering. I figured I'd pick her up with my car and id let her follow me to the mechanic, heck, I can drive a car with no power steering for a couple of blocks.
Anyway, I never left the house, I got in my car with no problem but I didn't have the muscle strength to turn my right knee inwards to apply the breaks. That's exactly what my OS said not to do. So I called my brother and he picked me up and we went to get my wife. My brother drove her car to the mechanic and we will get it probably on Tuesday. It was a stinky day and I almost tried to be a hero and I'm glad I didnt.
 
Well done Jeff for realising you couldn't drive and not setting off anyway ! You're all safe that's the main thing. Take it easy now :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well done @2 for Jeff for working out what a HUGE waste of resources it would have been if you'd have continued with your "heroics"... all that ICE and elevating apart from anything else :rotfl: Seriously, it's good that you saw your situation in a realistic light; wasn't disappointed or anything just accepting of the fact that 'now' is not quite the time for hopping in the ol' all wheel drive sleigh (Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation, in case you don't recognize the reference, you being so young and all!) and potentially putting yourself and others (including your wife!) in a more difficult position... and it all worked out in the end - except you haven't had the bill for the car yet:shocked:
I've just been reading back along your thread, I'm so glad you're excited about your new hip... you can feel it from here (and that's a long way!!) and it makes me feel "excited" about my potential - I really can't wait for my restrictions to be lifted.... soooooooo frustrating!! I'm with you re the weather affecting your joints too; I don't think it's the temperature so much, as we don't get THAT cold here (below 0 Celcius at night once every couple of years!) but the barometric pressure... for sure, it drops, I ache, simple. Pre op I was taking a good dose of NSAIDs too, so now that's gone my other arthritic joints are starting to say , Hell-oo... remember us?! I wasn't convinced when my OS said the other hip would need doing soon (no evidence of AVN in that one, just OA) but now I'm zipping around more and not medicating it's starting to remind me our hips come as a matching pair:flabber:
You've reminded me too that I haven't got anything for the dog for Christmas yet either; I thought he was just gazing at me wistfully every time I go out because he misses me... now I realize he knows I haven't got his prezzie yet :heehee:
Well you and Chloe enjoy that choccie... or is that just a message to pass on to Chloe :snork: You might have to share your next one because I'm self employed and I didn't think to send myself a basket of goodies:rofsign:
Keep happy,
Donna:happydance:
 
I felt so helpless the other day not being able to help my wife with her car trouble. I keep telling myself "Hey Jeff! Take it easy! You just had major surgery!"
Put that together with a couple of rainy days here, and not being able to go outside for my daily walk put me in a depressed mood.
We did stop by my mothers house the other day and wished her a Happy Birthday. We had ice cream cake and we played cards. We all had a good time.

Yesterday was my last day of my visiting nurse, and I keep thinking my in home PT is coming to an end but I guess not. Still going.

Do you know what I noticed? I realy have to work at keeping my foot from my operated leg pointing straight when walking. The muscle memory from before the hip replacement keeps turning my foot outwards. My muscles tighten up when I straiten it out.
Is this something I have to keep working on? Anyone else have to re-train their muscles just to keep feet in the forward position?
 
:dancy::spin::wave: I feel good walking with no cane today. I'm gona keep at it all day today and see how I feel.
Oh! I forgot to mention, I went grocery shopping with my wife last night and it was the first time in 8 years that I didn't push the shopping cart as if it was my walking aid :egypdance:
I don't stay depressed to long I guess.
If I could dance I'd give it shot right now being that no one is here but the cat :snork: but then again the more time I spend with this cat, the more I think at one point this cat must have been human.
Kind of spooky I know, but the other day he went in the bedroom and shut the door behind him :what:
I think the tv was to loud in the living room for him.:skep:
 
Hi @2 for Jeff Sorry you're feeling a bit down... it is pretty much par for the course I'm afraid. The ol' Post Op Blues "this too will pass" I'm fortunate in that our weather is lovely, I'm swimming as my main exercise and it lifts my mood being out in the.... oh, Donna, stop bragging. Truly, I do feel for you :console2: Men being from Mars doesn't help, you guys always want to "fix" the problems that arise, we women quite often just want to vent about them... solving them is something of a bonus. I had a job once where I didn't get on with a work colleague, hubby's immediate response was, right find a new job, get moved, yada yada, I just looked at him and said, it's not THAT bad, I was just having a moan about them I feel better now, hubby looked at me like what was the point?... we women (being from Venus) "get" the point! Your wife was probably just as happy to not have you put your recovery in jeopardy as you are unhappy that you couldn't "fix" the problem

I've had the "Groundhog Day" kind of feeling that you're experiencing, but in your heart you KNOW your'e progressing. I'm so glad you've mentioned the muscle memory thing, it's the thing I'm still working on now... "the gait". (was starting to think I was something of an orphan in this department:heehee:) I thought I was walking really well (the OS remarked on how well I walked pre op "considering", mmm), smooth and reasonably pain free... the Physio described it as a "very well disguised slight limp" and has got me walking with a "proper" pattern, putting the weight through the hip - it's uncomfortable (the muscles tighten like you said), I have to concentrate and it feels "lumpy"; we have to presume they know best so I'm sticking with it. To be fair, it has felt less foreign the last couple of days than it did the first week or so, and my muscles and tendons aren't complaining as much either, not sure it looks any less lumpy though:rotfl: I find stepping up still more challenging than I was expecting, and slopes make me quake:scaredycat:I can't figure why they're so HARD.

Hope you get the upswing tomorrow, you're a positive sort of guy and you can't keep us types down for long... it's still okay to have a whinge on hear though, we've all "been there, done that, got the T Shirt" :cool:

Oh, and I may not need Chloe to share any of that chocolate, we bought a 360g box of Maltesers earlier today and there are about 20g worth left... that's a lot of choccie between two people in one night, in fact I feel a little :sick:... don't worry, it won't last:rotfl:

G'night :wave:
 
Would you believe you posted while I was writing my reply... I told you you wouldn't be down long, though of course you won't have read that until after you put up your post.... well as we say Down Under, Good On Ya, glad you're seeing the light/tunnel thing more clearly again.

I like that your cat disapproves of your TV choices, our dog goes to "his corner" which is a full length corner window at the front of the house, when we go out, and he always refuses to look at us... just glances over his shoulder as we leave as if to say "I know you're going out to get up to some mischief, otherwise you'd take me" then stares steadfastly ahead (not even out of the window) as if to say, go on, get on with it..:dogsniff:. makes me smile every time
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom