THR Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay! Hip Hip Jeffraaaaay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the other side @2 for Jeff ! You will be happily surprised how fast those tight muscles begin to work again. Easy does it for now. I'll leave your official recovery articles here for you to refer back to during this process:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
Congratulations!!! I'm smiling just thinking about how well you're doing already. But these folks are right....don't hurry too fast. I know you're eager to get on with things. But slow and steady will make for the best recovery.
 
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:@CunukTriMom :rotfl: so funny Cheryl !
I was so afraid of the banging, cutting, gluing, and what ever else I precieved went into THR.
But in reality all I remember was saying hello to the anesthesiologist and waking up in recovery.
I love your list. It's so true about the percoset. I keep zoning out and typing this line over and over again.
I'm glad you like the tv show Vikings. Your tuff enough to be a decendant of those mighty warriors.
I will tackle the stairs tomorrow and head home.
There's no place like home.

Ok Cheryl, a question for a true Canadian.
What is putine? I've seen it on a cooking show and it looks like the most fattening dish on the planner. Which means I would love it.:snork:

Oh! The percoset keeps me in such a fog that I forgot to mention. Wifey gave me a sponge bath and I took my last pt session of the day. Almost did the entire 7th floor :yahoo:
 
@2 for Jeff

Jeff

Poutine is a tried and true French-Canadian favourite that the rest of Canada has decided they love....all except me! Basically you take French fries and put them in a bowl, then you pour a substantial amount of homemade, very hot gravy (like there is any other kind right?) over those fries. Last step is to take white cheese curds and sprinkle a ton of them on the hot gravy. Let this sit for about 5 minutes as everything will be steaming hot from the gravy and it gives the cheese curds time to melt over the gravy and fries.

Cheese curds are the state that cheese is in before is is formed into a block and becomes cheddar as you know it. I know all our British friends are familiar with curds. That is my best explaination....you may have to google cheese curds.

Oh my god you must be high if you forgot your wife gave a sponge bath....now you know there is no "knockin boots" as we say in Western Canada, for 6 weeks......enjoy and remember the sponge baths!

Hugs

Cheryl
 
@2 for Jeff

Jeff

You mentioned the perceived banging and clanging before surgery.....can you even imagine that some people are fully awake in the operation? By choice? :yikes:
 
@2forJeff Yaaaahooooooo! Congratulations!!!!! Enjoy the percocet making you do dumb stuff, and relax chill goof off in between walks and snacks. Oh yes, and sleep whenever your eyes close :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Hi @2 for Jeff and welcome to being a hippie!
It sure sounds like you are doing just great. Glad you are walking around and looking at the river view.
What a sight to wake up to.
Do all those things @CanukTriMom said, and you will do fabulous!
 
@toohip ok toohip, you and shrinkette hold me down, and fasterpussycat, you kick me for not listening to Cheryl.
i Yi Yi ! To much walking, I got to excited. Now the hospital can't freeze ice fast enough. Jamie, and Zauberflote, please call the pharmacist and tell them Jeff didn't listen, and he needs his percs no later than 1:15am


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just kidding guys, but I did a little to much tonight


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CanukTriMom if there's no chocolate to be found I would settle for a big plate of Poutine right now


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Me2 And when it comes to indulgence, being from Pennsylvania,
Nothing goes better with napkins than Philly Cheesesteak.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Don't worry.....we all overdo it at times. You're just getting yours in early! Now you'll be smart going forward, right???? :heehee: The increased pain and swelling will go away with some rest, icing, elevation and pain meds on a schedule. (The BoneSmart Mantra!) You'll be home in no time now since you're doing so well. Can't keep a good guy down!!!
 
I have 2 bars of chocolate left. Wish I could send it over. Most folks think the C in R.I.C.E. means compression. Nope . . . it means chocolate. :snork:
 
No worries @2 for Jeff we've all done it, that's how we know to tell you not to do it ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Welcome to the "other side" @2 for Jeff. So how right were we all... the waiting was the worst bit?:snork: CanukTriMom's list is a good one to follow, especially point 16, because (secretly) we feel so much better in those first few days we think "two weeks and I'm a 100%" - we are NOT 100% by then, but you do get your "recovery rhythm" in place by then and feel so much closer to normal.
I think my hospital experience was pretty standard for Australia; I was up on two crutches about 3 hours after surgery (I had Posterior, and a GA so it was dependent on being not still affected by the anesthetic), I wasn't offered a walker at all. My first trip was to the door of the room and back, then as soon as "the tubes" were out I was told to basically go for it:heehee: Go for it I did!
It felt good to me, my muscles were tight and walking helped. Eventually, of course I overdid it, so just factor in rest - being sensible and realistic I suppose:sleeep: I'm seven weeks out now, I still have muscle and tendon/ligament type pains (nothing like as bad as in the early days) and have finally taken on board what my OS and Physio have said - I've been holding my leg in a particular position (to avoid the bone on bone pain) and the soft tissues have adjusted to that position... just because my hip can now be held vertical doesn't mean the soft tissues know that, so I have to retrain them.
We don't have a lot of Physio prescribed here compared with the US - especially for hips, as walking is considered the best exercise (we have a couple of visits in addition to the exercises you're sent home from hospital with) but up to 12 weeks (for Posterior approach at least, I don't know about Anterior) it's all about stretching those muscles - Quads, Hamstrings, Abductors. I will start some exercises to increase my ROM at 12 weeks, but already feel like I have so much more "movement", I didn't feel it straight away - those muscles will complain but eventually they'll reward you with that "free flowing" walking that we all crave. I've got to say my other hip (which needs doing later) has been stoic for ten years and not complained at all, now it's saying "what the? you want to walk THAT fast, wait for me" :heehee: I don't know what my new hip can do yet, because of the pesky restrictions (no bending past 90 degrees etc) I can't believe I'm so excited to see if I can cut my toenails, and as 12 weeks is up on Boxing Day I'm going to cheat a little and sleep on my side Christmas Eve and give myself a toe massage for Christmas:rotfl:
I hope your recovery continues apace, try to remember you've had major surgery... like I said in one of my posts you don't know you've hit the wall until you hear the SPLAT, but moving about is good too (in my opinion) as it gives you a hint of what you're "new life" is going to be like, and what you had the surgery for in the first place:cool:
 
@craftdee It seems like everyone can't wait to get to their toes.
That toe massage sounds nice. And yes you were all right about the waiting.
Who knows what went on in the operating room, but I have bruises on my non operated hip. So I'm sure I wouldn't want to see the operation take place.
I can't wait to see an X-ray of my beautiful hip. I still want to see it I order to believe it.
I had one nurse who had both knees replaced a few years back, and another nurse yesterday that had both hips replaced. Now I'm even thinking about working here. It's kind of like giving back.
Maybe I can give up my 12 hour gig and find peace here at The Hospital For Special Services.
That would be nice if my wife could get on board as a nurse here and me maybe a mobility technician.
I'm a big guy, so I can lift and move people around who are getting ready for knee or hip surgery. Plus I can speak to them with the experience of having THR.
Not so bad.... I'm just thinking aloud
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom