THR Hip # 2 today for the Chuckster

I'm in the same boat as you were. Had my left done in December, and I am trying to figure out whether I should go ahead and do the other one, or put up with the pain for the summer. I have my appt. on May 30th so I think I may be joining you. I'm tired of the pain, the immobility. I'm trying to help coach my daughters softball team and I look like I'm 80 yrs old trying to bend and pick up a ball. It's getting old.

Rough day today - extremely nauseous. I am sure the NSAID (Celebrex), baby Aspirin & Percocet are contributing but knocked me for a loop. I was just given some Zofran & was able to eat dinner. Now to my next dose of meds....fingers crossed nausea doesn't return.....:unsure:

I'm in the same boat as you were. Had my left done in December, and I am trying to figure out whether I should go ahead and do the other one, or put up with the pain for the summer. I have my appt. on May 30th so I think I may be joining you. I'm tired of the pain, the immobility. I'm trying to help coach my daughters softball team and I look like I'm 80 yrs old trying to bend and pick up a ball. It's getting old.

Totally get where you are coming from....I had the same dilemma & hoped to put off #2 surgery but only lasted a couple of months....all about quality of life. Impossible to wait - hope you are on the other side soon too & fully bionic! Good Luck!

Checking in.....you are doing awesome! New and improved @chuckster will be ready for a great summer! WooHoo!

Chuckster almost 5 weeks post op hip #2 update as follows---

Despite the horrid May weather here in CT my continued optimism and recovery going well! I started driving last week around town and yesterday drove to work and back about a 20 mile trip each way. I returned to the office for a few hours a few days a week starting yesterday. Yay!

My left hip #1 is 23 weeks post op and feeling pain free and great !! Right hip #2 at 5 weeks feeling better every day. I am starting to slowly get away from the cane I take it with me but use it around 1/2 the time now and not much at all in the house [emoji537] what a amazing difference the second time rehabbing on an already strong hip hip hooray !!

I am scheduled to start out patient PT this Friday but again I am torn on its necessity and or effectiveness. The first time it was not that helpful as I still had a OA ravaged second hip. Will it be better this time? I know the mantra is hips just need time and walking to recover so again I'm not sure how long I will do it and I will stress I want gentle exercises at best. I may make the switch quickly to hydrotherapy which they offer like I did last time. Any input and suggestions here are welcome fellow BoneSmart double hippies... thanks !!

My next goals are to attend my sons high school graduation June 16 cane/pain free and to teach my summer tennis program for the 6th year starting June 20. I don't need to play I just organize and supervise mostly. Then hit up some tailgating and summer country concerts and away we go!! SO happy to be on the other side from these two major and life altering surgeries!!

Hope everyone here is doing well and I'm so thankful for the amazing support I've gotten from people like Medfodart/Granny/Miss Muffett/Jaycey/Horseshoe/Oznut/Irish Joe/My Aussie Girl/Josephine/Minnie/Sammy Lou/Krista/Mojo/Monika/Hip Hip Hooray and so many others I couldn't have done so well without your steadfast encouragement!

Thank you all!!

Chuckster

PS ....hey Irish [emoji256] Joe bye bye hip pain !!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
You sound great Chuck! I'm nearing the 8 week mark and feeling better all the time. Just saw a woman from here on the beach that I haven't seen since before my op and she remarked on my improvement. I still use the cane for longer walks especially as the beach is uneven, but I don't in the house. You might think about taking it to your son's grad just so people don't jostle you. I'm sure you can rock the look!

So glad you are completely on the other side. So far no sign of evilness in my unoperated hip but know that can change!

All sounds good Chuckster!! So glad it's all going well :) I found the walking was the best but my PT was useful for straightening up my walking as I had been limping badly pre op so the physio helped build up muscles gently.
Hope you have a fabulous summer of graduation, tennis and concerts - sounds pretty good to me!! [emoji4]
Take care,
Sam x

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Wow you're way on the other side I'm happy for you IMO you deserve this. Sounds like an action packed and fun summer.

Hope we get to read about each adventure

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO