THR Hip #2 In situ

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DeepBreath thank you for your good thoughts and I hope you are still progressing well.Are you still planning to have your other hip replaced in the next few weeks ? Although it would be tough I really believe it would be better to get them over and done with it and you can get on with your recovery with two good hips.
@Legin Newcastle is still one of the top party cities in the UK.Durham is also lively at weekends especially when the students are here but on a much smaller scale.Did you go to uni in Newcastle ?

I had forgotten how boring these first few weeks are and I am getting a bit sick of watching, 'Homes under the Hammer ' I wish I could say that I have utilised this time wisely and brushed up on my French or learned a new skill or craft but alas thanks to the pain killers I haven't got the brain power for either.Light weight novels are my limit at the moment.On a positive note I have managed to half the dose of the codeine over the past few days and I believe the worst is now behind me and I can begin to look forward to better times.In my experience although a good pain killer codeine can lower mood and consequently I am looking forward to coming off it.Wishing all a healing day.
 
Oh yes tho it was known as the Poly. My year was the year that had the last rag week. It wasn't me honest. Soooooo many stories but best in suppose was me on front page of I think the chronicle on Feb 29th but that is another story....

I am learning Spanish. I get by in France and it has always annoyed me that I have and will probably visit Spain and I should learn the lingo a common decency thing, I have v old fashioned values. Won't be long till you are off the codowner. If ya need some one to vent off to I'm often about. Take care lass and have a grand weekend...

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I have just discovered something very interesting purely by accident in that I seem to be more comfortable walking backwards than walking forwards Seems strange doesn't it ? I know walking backwards is recommended in the pool to strengthen the leg muscles but maybe it maybe a good way of strengthening muscles post hip replacement.Has anyone else experienced this ?
 
My husband also attended Newcastle Poly in the 1970s but I can't remember anything regarding rag week lol Good luck with learning Spanish and I agree we should be able to make some attempt at the language when we visit.I am enjoying watching the series on TV at the moment about the Scottish Islands and have added a visit there to my bucket list.I hope you have a good weekend too
 
It is beautiful up there, the sea lochs are amazing on a sunny day and yes we do have them the sea is turquoise. Oh and shellfish that are exported all over Europe. I have used a Bothy up there no cars can get to it and a major full days hike to get to it. There I was truly at peace.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
It sounds absolutely wonderful and so peaceful.Peace,solitude and stunning scenery so calming and great therapy for the soul.We are frequent visitors to the North Northumberland coast and discovered the joys of hiking in the Cheviots about a year before the hips went bad.It was possible to spend a whole day without seeing another human being and the only company was birds of prey.I hope we can both return to these special places some day.
 
That's whymy thinking rock was so important to me 500ft straight up and the last twenty or so was climbing but views from the Pentlands to the Trossochs, I spent many an hour there. All the jobs I have had have had a megga degree of emotional energy and there I could let it drain from me. Love idea of bird of prey, a buzzard used to follow me. Must have thought my head was a humongous egg.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Kim22, hello! :) I'm doing good, thank you. Yes, the plan is for me to get my other hip done sometime within the next month to six weeks. I'll know more after my appointment with my surgeon on Monday. I'll keep you posted.
I agree about having them close together so they can heal in tandem.

I had to LOL at your recovery comment. I have watched more home improvement, house hunting, home decorating shows in the past four weeks than I have during the rest of my life combined. :wink:

I hope you're doing well. Take care, friend. :)
 
@DeepBreath the scary thing is that I enjoyed watching those programs to start with and actually got a bit obsessed but I must confess I am fed up with them and can't wait to get back to normal life.I hope you get a date from your surgeon on Monday let us know how you get on.Have a great weekend
 
Hi @DeepBreath I was told by my dentist that over here they no longer prescribe prophylactic antibiotics for joint replacement patients undergoing dental treatment as it is deemed unnecessary and increases the patients risk of developing resistance to them.I would say that the important thing is to for us to seek a medical opinion if we show any signs of infection in the future.
 
Sorry @DeepBreath I really meant to post this on your thread but wrote it on mine by mistake and I have no idea how to move it lol
 
@Kim22 way to go cutting codeine in half!! You are way ahead of where I was. My reaction to it is a bit different-- for about a week it makes me happy, and then I get sick of it or something, and can't wait to get off it. I have zero problem weaning thank goodness!
I'm not sure I tried walking backwards! Not for months anyway. It's very good for balance and all kinds of things. But if you have three cats as I do, you kind of need to see where you're going :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@zauberflöte I am not walking backwards on a regular basis but discovered it was far easier than going forwards when I was moving about the kitchen and was curious to find out if I am a bit unusual or if others had a similar experience.I read on Google that it is big in Japan as reverse walking burns up a lot more calories than going forward.I also read that it takes pressure off the knee joint and the hip flexors because it is the toe and not the heel that strikes the ground first which may offer an explanation why I found it easier.As you know I am very careful not to overdo the walking so will leave reverse walking until I am more recovered.I also read another article that confirmed what you said about it being good for balance too.I will bring it up with my surgeon at my appointment in 3 weeks.You also highlighted the dangers of not being able to see what's behind you such as cats and the risk of falling.Maybe it should be a gym or pool activity only and certainly for later on in recovery.I was wondering if @alexthecat had any thoughts on reverse walking ?
 
Thanks, @Kim22. I hope I'm given the all clear to start weight bearing too. :)
It seems America's dentists are all over the place about the prophylactic antibiotics. It would be great if they got on the same page.
LOL about the TV viewing. I completely understand. I often watch those programs with the volume muted now because, while I like seeing the results, the people drive me crazy. There's only so much television I can take at one time. :)
 
@Kim22 and @DeepBreath man, you two need subscriptions to Netflix! We've never had cable, and so when all the channels switched to digital broadcasting (2009?) we were SOL! But we so rarely watched anything anyway, and by that time had had Netflix for 5 years and were hooked. So by 2013, hip year, we had streaming Netflix--no sending dvds back and forth!-- and I watched piles of BBC program(me)s that I would not have seen otherwise. Cannot recommend Netflix highly enough :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
There is an app i use all TV series and films. Its legal as many companies advertise on it. If interested pm me as thonits legal best to keep on right side of BS rules

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@DeepBreath I hope you are given the go ahead to start weight bearing too.You have been so patient throughout your recovery and this would be a big step forward for you.Did you ever restart your PT or have you decided to see what advice your OS gives you at your appointment on Monday.I hope your sons strep throat is much better now.Looking forward to reading your update next week.
 
Hello @Kim22....this is what I was referred to with regards to backward walking...

Backward Walking


This can be done near a railing or in a hallway as both places provide you with the opportunity to hold on or steady yourself. It will help you keep good hip extension range of motion, walk with better gait, and challenge your balance.

Reps/Sets: 10-15 strides one way / return back 10-15 strides / 2-3 sets

I have a very long deck in front of my home, and so I would do these there....I probably didn't start these until one month or more after surgery. It did feel very good, actually, doing them.
HTH






 
Hi @Kim22 You are sounding much better!! I have to laugh out loud when I read your post about watching the home improvement shows. I watched them constantly. I liked the mindlessness of them. At night it was reruns of The Golden Girls. for some reason that is very comforting and lulls me to sleep.
I still haven't enjoyed reading. I have a pile of unread books beside my bed.
So, I am getting ready to go outside and take my longer walk for the day. It's a perfect fall day and am looking forward to it. But first thing is to try walking backwards!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom