THR Hike’s Recovery

@hipster333 - I was walking with PT yesterday and she told me I could go to one crutch. So I did. I’ll admit I was a bit leery but am doing fine. Used two when I woke in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. This weight gain is since Tuesday morning! I’ll write it off as water weight from all those fluids they pumped in plus the weight of my new hip implant.

I’ll stay off the scale. Too traumatic.

Waiting for son to wake up and then will hit the shower, get breakfast, etc. No idea what time PT is showing up.
 
@hikejunkie wow you sound like you're doing super!
Down to one crutch? Already? And PT coming to your home? Nice!
For some reason that is a big issue around my area, minimal PT in home.
What are they having you do about your knee/straightening leg?
 
@BeBe - PT looked at knee while I walked yesterday and said quads need to be strengthened but it’s not something to work on now other than some squeezes. He said based on how I’m doing he won’t be here past my first post-op appointment with surgeon which is on 21 March. He’ll be here 3x next week. Exercises are all very simple movements (heel slide, glute and quad squeezes, ankle pumps, abduction) except that straight leg raise which I told yet another PT I won’t do. :no-fin:

PT advised I can go to cane for my walks but continue with crutch for stairs until he does another assessment on Monday. I was not using a cane this early with last replacement. I feel quite stable on it but agree not on the stairs yet. I did ask him why pain is so minimal. He seems to think it will pick up as I become more active but I’ve been active already. I’m using Celebrex and Tylenol only for pain (plus ice constantly) so far and really am taking as directed not so much because something hurts. Bruising is spreading outward and boy is it ugly. I have sharpie marks amongst everything else and it’s rather Frankensteinish.

Youngest son still here. Oldest coming over to cook dinner later. Friend popping in midday. Walking, exercises, icing and rest remainder of the time. Not like I can go anywhere. :ice:
 
Your approach to recovery sounds practical and inspiring.
Sure, this is the No Fun part, but you are going to do great.
Hope your weekend is sweet.
 
Just a little side note with my dogs. They’re doing great. Eating, sleeping, playing, no signs of stress whatsoever. Owner said yesterday “they’re not even thinking of you”. Which is just what I wanted to hear. :ok:

I’m not even considering bringing them home yet. I can do the golfers pick up thing but I know that if one of them pulls while on leash and I twist even slightly it will be bad.

Here’s a pic of them. Glad to see they’re sticking together.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hike’s Recovery
    07B3EE3C-D46A-4279-8CAC-2E1091A92B8F.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 195
Cutest things ever....
Give it time, you will be reunited soon.
:dogwalk:
 
Swimmers (other than my son that was OCD about anything marking his skin) mark all over their bodies with sharpies. They use it to write down event info as well as to draw picture and make themselves into walking inspirational posters. The best thing to remove sharpie ink is also one of the least caustic - Noxzema!
 
7 pounds of metal! I am not letting myself near a scale until my staples are gone. (the real weight culprit, I suspect)
 
@SaraK - thanks for the tip. All these markings are too close to the incision so I’ll need to wait awhile to try the Noxzema trick! Friend asked today if surgeon did incision via connect the dots. Ha!

@sequin98 - although I’m staying away from scale, I’m already feeling lighter today. Perhaps it’s fluid retention.
 
Aww, they're so cute!
I can imagine how relieved you are to know they're doing well.
I'll bet you miss them. I understand your fear with the leash and that makes sense.
I worry more about you tripping over them. I used to do that with mine. I'd back up or turn around from the kitchen sink and stumble over mine.
How excited they'll be to see you again. Hope you're having a relaxing weekend!
@hikejunkie
 
Oh @hikejunkie Are they Toto dogs? Cairn terriers? Just darlings! I bet you miss them! How long are you boarding them again? I cannot board my dogs, neither does well especially the little one, and I really do not have a decent place close by anyway. I still have to train my husband in their daily routine. :nah:I am pretty worried about the tripping hazard but plan on using a walker and so far they both keep their distance from it. So we shall see.

Sounds like you are going about the business of recovery just as you should. I like that the meds you are using are holding your pain levels to keep you mobile. But sure dont want to hear of any ODIC!
I am using ice now overnite (it is such a help to me) plus several times a day, since I am not tolerating the Aleve well anymore. I hope the Celebrex comes with less stomach issues.
 
@hikejunkie such sweeties, I think one of the biggest advantages of having 2 is that they can always have a 'support person' with them if they're away from us. Mine will stay at home luckily, as my husband will be around (he'll need some intensive training as to their foibles :yes:), but they will be banished from my bedroom until I'm sure they can be trusted not to be too rumbustious.....there'll be some doggy mutterings about that :sigh: But the good thing is their short memories and forgiving natures. Glad to see your pain is under control, you seem to everything sorted :)

@BeBe not long now, we're now into the 1 week x days, and my stomach does a somersault everytime I think about it. I've got my preop on Tues evening so I hope I'll find out more....looking at other people's posts I seem to know remarkably little about my op and hospital stay :chinstroke:Icing so often presumably means your pain levels are fairly high? I'm so sorry, it must be really miserable....I feel a bit guilty cos I don't really have anything bad enough to take meds for, it's mainly a 'seizing-up of the joints'.....think the post-op pain will come as a nasty surprise rather than a welcome reduction :thud:
 
@BeBe - they are both rescues - we know one is a Shih-tzu/yorkie mix and the other we think is a yorkie/chihuahua mix. This is my first time boarding them but they’ve been there tons of times for day care. They are definitely at boarding until I see surgeon on 21st. I’m hoping not much longer after that. I didn’t mention the tripping hazard but it’s a problem with Izzie. She is always right behind me but I wonder if I’m wielding a cane if she will come close.

@anny - some have told me their pets have a sense that something is wrong with their human. I think they do but how far away they’d stay from jumping or snuggling is the question. Do you have questions about op/hospital stay? Perhaps some don’t mention it because they don’t remember a lot. I’m in US so some things may be different from NZ but I’d be happy to help if I can. In my case, icing is currently keeping pain away. I’m not doing it due to pain, I’m doing it to avoid it.
 
Did laundry yesterday as part of my walking part of the day. Back and forth from hamper to washer using grabber. Then back and forth from dryer to bed to fold. Son offered to help but I declined since it was part of movement time anyway.

I’m bored already.

Today son will head home and I’ll head into total alone time other than PT visits. I’m not a fan of PT. Not because it hurts, although I do have some twinges in hamstring today, but because I’m up and down all day including up and down stairs at least three times. I don’t want to exercise when I’m in bed but rather elevate, ice and rest.

I was experiencing some anxiety last night when going to sleep. Just a general anxious, uncomfortable feeling but I have no idea why. Like ready to jump out of my skin. No specific thoughts and I’m doing well so no idea where this came from. Didn’t care for it and hope it doesn’t return tonight.
 
I was experiencing some anxiety last night when going to sleep. Just a general anxious, uncomfortable feeling but I have no idea why. Like ready to jump out of my skin. No specific thoughts and I’m doing well so no idea where this came from. Didn’t care for it and hope it doesn’t return tonight.
This could be a side effect of your meds. I have seen several members here experience this. Hope it passes soon.

Any post op weight gain is fluid. They pump you full of fluids before, during and after your procedure. Don't worry - once you are moving around regularly this will balance.

Afraid I have to burst your bubble about the implant adding to your weight. Here's an article from our Library that explains this Weight of hip and knee prostheses
 
@hikejunkie

I’m so glad recovery is going well for you. I’m completely jealous and crying my eyes out, but happy just the same. I’ll post on my thred about my dysfunctions but wanted to give my thoughts on anxiety you’re going through. I think realizing you’ll be alone once your son leaves is scaring you. Going from having people around to only having pt is very rough for someone. Being nervous or anxious is normal. As someone who is doing recovery mostly alone, I understand. I applaude your not needing narcotic pain meds too. Just another hurdle to jump.

You’re doing an amazing job, trust that from someone who knows.
 
@Jaycey - consider my bubble burst! :heehee:

The only meds I’m on are Celebrex, Tylenol and aspirin. Took all but aspirin pre-op and didn’t get this anxiety thing. They had me on Oxycodone and Lyrica while in hospital, last doses being Thursday morning. Could the anxiety be coming from lack of taking those two? What have others done for this? Just ride it out?
 
If you research anxiety can be a side effect of Celebrex. However in most cases this eases as your body gets used to this medication. I would not suggest cutting down on your meds. It might just be a one time thing so please don't worry.
 
Ok, thank you. I hadn’t taken Celebrex for awhile pre-op but don’t recall this. If it gets overwhelming I will call surgeon but definitely won’t cut back on anything.
 
Back
Top Bottom