THR Hike’s Recovery

thank you for your offer @hikejunkie .....after my pre-op tomorrow evening I may well have a ton of questions! I hope the anxiety attacks soon leave you in peace, not pleasant, particularly when you can't identify what's causing them. Can you organise some visits from friends? It's a sad thing if you find yourself turning down an offer to do the washing cos you're bored :heehee: not that I will be any different,I think....my dad is coming out for his visit from England, 3 weeks after my op, and I shall be fretting about finishing curtains etc for his room (new house, want it nice as last time he was here it was a tip, trashed by tenants). Ah well, I shall dredge up that phrase 'it only has to be good enough'.....and the one my little granddaughter sings 'let it go, let it go, let it go, (lol...Frozen fan)

@newhip126 sorry you're still struggling, do hope you turn the corner soon.:fingersx:
 
@anny - does the granddaughter sing it at the top her lungs while spinning circles from room to room like a tornado? Mine does. Good luck with pre-op tomorrow!
 
Had the same anxiety business last night. Seems to be at around the same time. Just when I’ve turned off the lights and settled in for sleep. I took an Oxycodone and it eventually helped. Definitely don’t want to be taking that stuff to help with sleep. I’ll be calling surgeon today. Not enough sleep last night and PT expected at 9am.

I have someone scheduled to come in tomorrow to change sheets, tidy up, get garbage out. Of course it’s now going to snow tomorrow. I’ll call to see if she still plans to make it or maybe come today.

I’ve been in bed drinking my coffee, icing my leg and just staring off into space until I realize I’m staring off into space and snap out of it. My emotions are all over the place. I’m stronger than this. Usually.
 
So sorry you are feeling like that.
I had same type things going on at a few weeks out.
Antsy and unsettled.
I think mine was a short of post op depression/anxiety.
My body reacting to the shock of that surgery...my doctor put me on super low dose of anti anxiety med and I only took for week or so.
It's like all the adrenaline from the relief of being done with surgery leaves, and your body said okay...you can break down now, we are safe?
Just my experience but hope you feel better today...
 
@Mojo333 - was your experience with anxiety during one point of the day only? I’m doing very well and I have no icky thoughts whatsoever and this anxiety feeling just starts and I can’t even meditate myself out of it. It’s creepy.
 
I think the staring in space stage is pretty normal at less than a week out @hikejunkie. The pain meds do help us relax so we can rest. I know with me, and with what others have said, the nighttime dose is the last go.

Don’t push yourself too much. Sleep will straighten out, it just takes time. Also seems very normal for our emotions to be all over the place. It isn’t a question of how strong we are. Our system has gone through a major experience, it takes some time to get everything back on track.
 
I don't remember about a particular time of day, but it is as you say, build once it started.
My better half had to start leaving me for longer in the day...and I didn't mind it and was managing but being alone didn't help really.
Plus my nerves in my legs seem to be crawling and waking up so that didn't help either.
In hind sight, think it was body reacting to shock of all that had happened.
It IS creepy but I think the Strong Ones can have it worse.
So pragmatic before surgery, and immediately after..then, a jittery mess.
Some mindless TV...nature shows or fresh air on the porch?
It WILL be okay:friends:
 
Thanks, mojo. Been watching TV, opened the slider a few times yesterday to breathe in freezing cold air. Not safe to actually go outside. It’s not being alone that’s the cause. I’d think I’d be anxious at different points in the day and, truly, I’m ok being alone other than missing my dogs. Well, whatever the cause, it needs to be dealt with. And, yes, it will be ok.
 
Oops...sorry I missed the weather forecast...maybe don't sit on the porch:heehee:
I forget there's other weather in other places.
My good guy friend dated a girl who I tried to tell him was way too stupid. He was in denial...plus she was way pretty.
He finally conceded she wasn't his type.
Apparently after he dropped her home after a date in the town she lived in 30 miles away, he called to tell her that he was looking at the full moon and how Beautiful it was, and how he was thinking of her.
She says, in earnest "oh my god, what a coincidence. We have a full moon here tonight too!"
:loll:
 
Last edited:
I relate to the anxiety. I had it with both ops and after giving birth. I put it down to surgery brain or sleep deprivation or hormone overload. My memory didn't seem to work as well and I was anxious wondering what I was forgetting or feeling like I should have done something, etc. It was more prevalent when I was trying to sleep just because there were fewer things to crowd it out. If that's what you're going through, hopefully it's just temporary.
 
It's a good idea to mention it to the IS. Then you can be reassured that all will be well. For me, if I know something is a normal reaction and that it will pass, I feel better and relax. You are doing so well:SUNsmile:
 
Spoke to doc about Celebrex. Although anxiety isn’t what he calls a “common” side effect he agrees that if I think it’s the cause there’s no harm to go off of it. I’m to wait until Thursday to check in and to take Tylenol and continue to elevate/ice the leg. If I run into any increase in pain I’m to use the oxy until we have check in on Thursday.

PT has increased exercises and although they’re really not difficult I find it crazy to do 30 reps of each - there’s 9 exercises in addition to walking. NINE. So, I told him I will do my best but I refuse to go all hard core when I’m only day 6 post-op. He’s probably going to tell on me. Whatever. :heehee:

Help came today to change bedding, tidy up, etc. since snow tomorrow. Makes a difference. Everything smells good. :flwrysmile:
 
I’m only doing half of the prescribed exercises! I think they push too hard!
 
Ohhhh—and oxy makes me sleepy and anxious. Strangest combo.
 
@SaraK - but I’m not thinking of anything! I’m laying there, feeling tired but comfortable. Put on my sleep meditation. A few minutes into it the anxious feeling starts. I’ve been using sleep meditation for months but even turned it off wondering if something changed in my head. Didn’t help. I agree there’s fewer things to drown out the noise of the mind but this is weird. I’ll know by Thursday if it’s the meds or me.
 
@Hipgirl18 - agree they push too hard! I’ve only taken oxy to try and sleep. Don’t think it’s that. We shall see.
 
Hi @hikejunkie
I'm sorry you're going through this.
It sounds like it has to be the meds if you aren't bothered by being alone and are comfortable
with your dogs not being there until it's safer to have them there.

My heart goes out to you. It sounds awful. I suffered attacks of anxiety going through menopause and it was no fun! Not a single hot flash, only anxiety. Hormones I guess. Hopefully you find the cause and relief soon.

Wishing you a very peaceful afternoon in your tidy, fresh smelling home :flwrysmile:
 
If you are worried about the PT tattling to your OS, try saying you did PT. Leave out the numbers? Or do less reps & try to 'touch' all 9?? I stop when it is uncomfortable. When I am at PT, I stop if it is uncomfortable. My PT doesn't push.
 
You're making a huge assumption. I'm convinced OS send us to PT so they don't have to think about/deal with soft tissue issues. I'm not sure they ever read any of the reports the PT send. When I took in the stack of PT reports to OS when trying to diagnose first hip, OS looked at the stack and, without looking at a single item in the pile said "It looks like youve given PT a reasonable try."

The only question mine ever asked about PT after surgery was whether I felt I needed to continue.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom