THR Hi, Yearly update

Probably not wise, but I went on off shore fishing trip week before my surgery. Thought it would be fun and wasn't sure how long it would be before I'd be able to go again.
Seriously miserable. Every bump on the boat through the water was agony and didn't want to cut trip short for the others.
Two days before my surgery, in my anxious state...I wanted to convince myself it might not be THAT bad. It was. I was oh so ready.
One week from today you will be on the other side!:ok:
 
@mcopt - so sorry to hear your mom is in hospital but glad to hear that she's improving. Once a mom, always a mom - I'm sure she'd prefer that you not jeopardize your surgery by visiting the hospital!

I totally believe you that those models (are you sure there's only one kind) are for your grandson's benefit? As you say, "boys and their toys" . Don't be surprised, though, if you don't touch those for awhile. I had thoughts of crocheting, etc., each time but never felt like doing something that required the eye to concentrate as much (of course, the second time, I wasn't home very long).

Keeping fingers crossed for you (you'll have to handle the crossed eyes - preferably not those of today's patients).
 
Oh my word! I'm just catching up on your thread this morning. I'm so sorry to hear this news
about your mom, Martin. The poor dear, I'm sure they're keeping her comfortable and she's not
in any pain. As her precious son, she'll understand you not being there, nor will she want you there
understanding the consequences if you became ill now. I'm sure she understands it's a big day for you and would take your pain if she could. You know as a parent we'd do anthing for our kids to keep them from pain and suffering.

This is simply a lot of stress to add to any pre-op anxiety you are experiencing. My heart goes out to you in that. Thankfully you're able to keep in contact with her over the phone. Beneficial to you both. Hopefully she's released soon. Please keep us posted.

Well, the days are winding down. I'm happy to hear you're feeling an element of excitement in getting this behind you. I'll bet you find such relief that you'll anxiously count the days until the next. I'm excited and happy for you. Losing that pain FEELS miraculous and I'll tell you what, IT IS! The fact that something so horrendous tapped each of us on the shoulder, sucking the life right out of us BUT was stopped dead in its tracks is miraculous to me. We have an answer and a solution and it will very soon be your reality. You will quickly notice that awful pain is gone! Sure, surgery pain will takes its place but it's only temporary.....
insert happy dance :dancy: :happydance::happyfeet: < that's how you'll feel emotionally, especially after your second!
Hang on tight....the end is in sight. We're right here with you to encourage and cheer you on.

Prayers going up that your pain is tolerable, that time flies to the 31st, that mom is released for home,
that your are comforted and have peace of mind as you await Wednesday. It's gonna be good!
@mcopt
 
So sorry about your mom! You are doing all the right things. Hang in there. This is probably the worst times leading up to the surgery as absolutely everything becomes harder to do and the pain just seems to grow exponentially by the minute. We will have a lot to celebrate soon!:yay:
 
so sorry to hear about your mum @mcopt.....as everyone else says, you must get yourself right so that you can be there for her, but you must be very torn. Hope that wretched pain abates for you, but at least you are in no doubt as to whether you should be having the op! Making model planes....that took me straight back to my childhood when my uncle (only 7 years older than me) made model planes that he hung up in his bedroom.....He wasn't very avuncular when I decided to see if one would fly from the first floor window tho :heehee: I'll have to ask him if he's graduated to radio-controlled ones now. Only 4 more days for you (NZ time anyway)....hope they go quickly!
 
Hi @mcopt
Wondering how your mom is doing...I hope she was released for home by now.

Also, how you're feeling...
This is your last weekend before you become partially bionic, there's still time to chicken out :heehee:
If you're anything like I was the 31st can't come soon enough, your sick of pain and anxiety, want relief from both and want it all in the rear view. Have I just read your mind?
Hang in there bud.....it's so close and will soon be over. You're in my prayers today :prayer:
 
Hi everyone thanks for your thoughts mum still in hospital big concern is pneumonia especially as they can't keep an IV line in her due to the dementia she pulls it out. Think I might run the risk and go and visit tomorrow I can't see I will pick anything up to affect me for Wednesday. Feeling ok so far @Bevlah finger nails still intact could do with toes trimming, job for other half today, no cuts or nicks though ! Meant to pack bag yesterday but family called over so didn't get round to it. Called into work to introduce the new locum who is covering for me think I felt more anxious about that today I get very protective about my patients and never seem to trust anyone else but I must learn to let go think this has been a good lesson for me to start pulling back a bit even semi retirement and hopefully enjoy my new hips you really learn to appreciate what you have only when it goes wrong. Hope everyone else who is due over the next week or so is doing well. Lets get on that post op side !!
 
@mcopt .
Let's turn that thread title into Finally!
I had a super hard time realising the was only so much I could do when facing surgery and recovery. Would be nice is life's timing could accommodate us a little bit.
I'm glad you are going to see your mother..I would probably have to do the same though is likely not going to help your piece of mind.
Sometimes we just do what we have to for our piece of mind.
Your patients are lucky to have someone who truly cares for them...
You are going to do well, I know.
Can't wait to Finally visit you on the other side. :yahoo:
 
Hi Mcopt! Remember me? We started this preop journey together telling what we were doing to get in condition. I am sorry about your set backs but looks like the big day is almost here for you. Your recovery will be amazing as you are so positive, and you have so many people here on bonesmart thinking and praying for you and your mother. I will be one of them.
 
Wow @mcopt! I admire your energy. And your willingness to run the risk of exposure. my only concern is that if you do catch something it will manifest itself when you need all your energy for recovery, But we love our mothers and they need us too. My mom might be headed into some sort of dementia. She has all but said so herself.
I went to visit the post op side and then got superstitious and ran back here. But we'll meet there very soon. Wheeeeee!:dancy:
 
Mcopt - so sorry to hear about your Mom - my mother had pneumonia twice in the past two years so I know how this can be a worry. The last few days before surgery are pretty tough. Nervous, excited...scared - omg my emotions were all over the place! But before you know it - you'll be on the recovery side. And we will be waiting for you :yes::flwrysmile:
 
@mcopt hope your visit with your mum goes well. I also wish your Mrs luck in cutting your toe nails! My partner has had to do things for me lately that cause the stuff of nightmares....good job they love us! Am counting the days now until your surgery, do you have a time yet?
 
Praying mom soon turns the corner and that you're protected should you visit the hospital.
Hope these last couple days fly by :bored:
Wishing you peace as you wait!
@mcopt
 
Thanks everyone for your thoughts such a dilemma about visiting mum have heard her CRP blood test is very high showing high levels of bacterial infection it scares me to think I pick something up the day before op that could lead to post op complications/infections. Knowing her (as she was before dementia) she wouldn't want me to take that risk.
Hi @lucinda007 good to hear from you hope that the recovery is going well now 2 months on, thanks for your thoughts, glad I have made it this time (hopefully) :fingersx:
 
I know it's a hard decision, Martin. It has to be even harder with the dementia because she can't tell you how she would feel about it. If you go, use a mask and surgical gloves!
 
Hi Martin,

Yes, my recovery has been amazing and I know yours will be too. Are you still having SuperPath? Remember, I had an anterior 2 months ago. . I’m going swimming tomorrow and can run up and down the stairs forgetting that I had surgery. You will be there soon. We all look forward to hearing about your recovery. I’ll be watching for your post.
 
@mcopt sorry to hear about your dear mother. It's a tough spot, perhaps you can speak with her by telephone, hearing your voice may be very comforting to her.

Unfortunately, it's not an uncommon scenario, things often happen in clusters. Two days before the first thr, my uncle had a fall and was hospitalized. I'm his nearest and dearest and considered cancelling. At the ER, his dr took one look at me, bent over on crutches, and insisted I carry on with the surgery. Dr said he was in the best possible place for care and that I'd get home before he did :snork:

@mcopt best wishes to you on Wed, one more day till freedom.. :yay:
 
Back
Top Bottom